PDA

View Full Version : Will this hardware be all right for Ubuntu?

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Dear fellow Ubunters,

I decided to get a new computer. It's a regular desktop, but since I don't know much about hardware, I thought I'd better ask. Do you think the following hardware is completely compatible with Lucid?

Chipset: Intel X58 + ICH10R (apparently, it has integrated high-definition audio)
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2,66 GHz /8MB-1066MHz
RAM: 3072Mb (3x1024Mb DDR3,1333MHz)
Video: PCI-E 512Mb NVIDIA GeForce GTS250

I am particularly concerned about video and audio: how well will they work under Linux? My old computer has integrated video and audio which really sucked.

P.S. By the way, what version of Ubuntu is better suited for such a machine - the 32-bit or the 64-bit version?

Thanks!

mamamia88
May 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM
i7 for ubuntu seems like overkill to me

cgroza
May 24th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I don't know about audio but video will work since NVIDIA has good support for Linux...

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
i7 for ubuntu seems like overkill to me

Well, if it works all right it won't hurt, will it? :)

cgroza
May 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Well, if it works all right it won't hurt, will it? :)

It should :D
You should test the system with a live CD... From the live CD try playing a sound track(not a restricted format) something like Ogg or FLAC format and if you hear something the audio works... Oh and if the system boots from live CD it means that the i7 works...

98cwitr
May 24th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I don't know about audio but video will work since NVIDIA has good support for Linux...

...no...no they dont, I still have issues with my 8600GT on the newest drivers.

Op, what board are you looking at? Are you planning on OCing?

cgroza
May 24th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Well mine works very good... He has a 8600GT so the best way to find out is to try...

98cwitr
May 24th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Well mine works very good... He has a 8600GT so the best way to find out is to try...

do you get a small line-flicker when running at high frame rates?

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Will an ATI card be a better option? Somehow I got an impression they are even worse...

Op, what board are you looking at?

Intel® X58 Express Chipset (http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/chipsets/x58/x58-overview.htm)

Are you planning on OCing?

No, not at all. I just expect to push the button and everything magically to work :)

98cwitr
May 24th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Will an ATI card be a better option? Somehow I got an impression they are even worse...

Intel® X58 Express Chipset (http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/chipsets/x58/x58-overview.htm)

No, not at all. I just expect to push the button and everything magically to work :)

um...Im not asking what chipset the board will have, I am asking what MOTHERBOARD you are looking at purchasing.

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
You should test the system with a live CD... From the live CD try playing a sound track(not a restricted format) something like Ogg or FLAC format and if you hear something the audio works... Oh and if the system boots from live CD it means that the i7 works...

Yeah, I know that's the best way to make sure, but the problem is they sell these computers in an online store; I doubt I'll have a chance to insert a live CD anywhere before I order.

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 03:59 PM
um...Im not asking what chipset the board will have, I am asking what MOTHERBOARD you are looking at purchasing.
Oh, sorry, told you I was ignorant about all that stuff... But I don't see any relevant information on the seller's site.

98cwitr
May 24th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Oh, sorry, told you I was ignorant about all that stuff... But I don't see any relevant information on the seller's site.

what seller? You linked me directly to Intel...

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 04:01 PM
what seller?

It's an online computer shop in Moscow, Russia. I can post a link here, but will that help? :)

98cwitr
May 24th, 2010, 04:04 PM
It's an online computer shop in Moscow, Russia. I can post a link here, but will that help? :)

sure :)

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 04:06 PM
sure :)

Then here (http://www.usn.ru/catalog/price/?pid=40041063) it is.

98cwitr
May 24th, 2010, 04:09 PM
you're talking about buying a machine...why not just build, you can get exactly what you want and play A LOT less for it? 972 US (f Im reading the price right...or is that EURO?) is dumb to pay for that machine.

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM
why not just build, you can get exactly what you want and play A LOT less for it?

Because I am not a technical guy at all. Besides, I don't even know what exactly I want. All I know is, I want it to be fast, good for virtualization, compositing effects, capable of showing high-definition video, good for sound and video editing, and work well with my favorite operating system. Oh, and future-proof too!

972 US is dumb to pay for that machine.

*Sigh*

98cwitr
May 24th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Because I am not a technical guy at all. Besides, I don't even know what exactly I want. All I know is, I want it to be fast, good for virtualization, good for sound and video editing, and work well with my favourite operating system.

*Sigh*

you're not a technical guy? Come on man...give yourself some credit. With a little research and a phillips head screwdriver ANYONE can build their own computer. My grandmother could if I gave her the parts and a little direction.

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 04:24 PM
you're not a technical guy? Come on man...give yourself some credit. With a little research and a phillips head screwdriver ANYONE can build their own computer. My grandmother could if I gave her the parts and a little direction.

:)
Imagine a person with a Mac-user's mindset. Now imagine that instead of a Mac this person wants an Ubuntu-powered machine. With as little trouble and hassle as possible. That would be me.

mamamia88
May 24th, 2010, 04:25 PM
:)
Imagine a person with a Mac-user's mindset. Now imagine that instead of a Mac this person wants an Ubuntu-powered machine. With as little trouble and hassle as possible. That would be me.

then why not buy one with ubuntu preinstalled?

98cwitr
May 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM
in mother russia...computer build you.

http://media.tested.com/uploads/0/5/3760-howtobuildpc_teaser.jpg

ok fine...just buy a system76 machine then.

http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=98

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 04:30 PM
then why not buy one with ubuntu preinstalled?

I'd love to! But alas, ZaReason is in the US and Marvin Computers (with this lovely baby (http://www.marvincomputers.co.uk/products/supermarvin-workstation)) is in the UK. I know they ship internationally, but what if something breaks down - they don't have any affiliates here.

And it's next to impossible to find a decent machine with Ubuntu preinstalled here. Otherwise I would have done it.

NCLI
May 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I'd love to! But alas, ZaReason is in the US and Marvin Computers (with this lovely baby (http://www.marvincomputers.co.uk/products/supermarvin-workstation)) is in the UK. I know they ship internationally, but what if something breaks down - they don't have any affiliates here.

And it's next to impossible to find a decent machine with Ubuntu preinstalled here. Otherwise I would have done it.

Believe me, building your own machine is fun and easy!

Anyway, I'd still order from System76 if I were you. Worst case scenario: You send it back if it breaks.

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 04:33 PM
just buy a system76 machine then

Lol! Since when do they ship internationally?

Apart from the price, is there anything wrong with the machine I showed?

98cwitr
May 24th, 2010, 04:33 PM
maybe newegg will open a dist. center in Russia for you one day :D

dont see anything saying they dont!

to answer your question...yes...imho...they are over kill, get a 860 series i7 or even an i5, you wont notice the difference for what you are using it for and will save some $$$

From System76 you know that the parts that are in the machine have zero compatibility issues with Ubuntu.

Phrea
May 24th, 2010, 04:38 PM
It seems like a fine machine to me.
If you have the money, and this is what you want, just get it. Linux will almost certainly work quite well on it.

Don't let purists and builders spoil all your fun. ;)

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 04:41 PM
dont see anything saying they dont!
http://www.system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=14
First paragraph, first sentence (after the titles).

azangru
May 24th, 2010, 04:42 PM
It seems like a fine machine to me.
If you have the money, and this is what you want, just get it. Linux will almost certainly work quite well on it.

Don't let purists and builders spoil all your fun. ;)

Thanks for your support!
But boy, how I wish we had something like System 76 or Marvin Computers here!

dvwolfman
May 24th, 2010, 04:43 PM

That is not an unrealistic expectation...but there is support in the community if that is not the case, I think

I went for the Quadcore @ 2.3ghz from dell, works great with addition of GeForce 240, Dell model is Inspiron 530 - with the addition of a firewire card from Dell, but installed the Nvidia GeForce 240 myself, it works great with Compiz, and Ubuntu generally...kudos to dell for providing what I needed, and of course to cannonical for keeping me free...

lscpu
Architecture: i686
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
CPU(s): 4
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 4
CPU socket(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 23
Stepping: 7
CPU MHz: 1998.000
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 2048K

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection (rev 02)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 92)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801IR (ICH9R) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT215 [GeForce GT 240] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW322/323 (rev 70)

This system works very well under Ubuntu 10.04, I am able to record music, etc...and also use generally for anything..:popcorn:

98cwitr
May 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM
http://www.system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=14
First paragraph, first sentence (after the titles).

ok, I stand corrected. Thank you.

I would still call them and see if they would make an exception.

Phrea
May 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for your support!
But boy, how I wish we had something like System 76 or Marvin Computers here!

I'm kind of the same, but it might be easier here in Holland to get a fully supported Linux computer.

azangru
June 14th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I'm kind of the same, but it might be easier here in Holland to get a fully supported Linux computer.

It's immensely easier. You won't believe what a pain it is to order a computer in a foreign company and get it delivered in Russia - with all those astronomical customs taxes and requirements for certificates proving that a computer meets certain our internal regulations. Perhaps that is why ZaReason. though it ships to some European countries, doesn't ship its systems to Russia.

azangru
June 14th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I got distracted for a couple of weeks, but now I am back looking for a good computer. I found out the name of the motherboard in the machine I am most likely to buy - it is ASRock X58 Extreme. Does any of you know if it works nicely under Lucid? I searched Ubuntuforums and found some threads discussing this motherboard, but they are about a year old, so I'd love to know how things stand now.

Thanks!

NCLI
June 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I got distracted for a couple of weeks, but now I am back looking for a good computer. I found out the name of the motherboard in the machine I am most likely to buy - it is ASRock X58 Extreme. Does any of you know if it works nicely under Lucid? I searched Ubuntuforums and found some threads discussing this motherboard, but they are about a year old, so I'd love to know how things stand now.

Thanks!

I can't imagine why it shouldn't I have the AsRock 890FX Deluxe3 in my server, and it works fine.

kaldor
June 14th, 2010, 06:37 PM
It all sounds great, but if you have the "Mac user's mindset" why not just buy an iMac and dual boot OS X and Ubuntu? :)

I don't think there will be any problems with your current selection, though. But if you want it "future proof" I'd say find something else.

cascade9
June 14th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I don't think there will be any problems with your current selection, though. But if you want it "future proof" I'd say find something else.

The only thing that is 'future proof' is a rock.

BTW, that is an archaeology/anthropology/medical based joke, obsidian blades are still the sharpest blades you can get.

azangru
June 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM
It all sounds great, but if you have the "Mac user's mindset" why not just buy an iMac and dual boot OS X and Ubuntu? :)

I actually considered this for a moment :p But then I asked myself: does OS X offer me anything in particular that I want but can't get with Ubuntu. Since the answer was "no", I decided against a Mac.