PDA

View Full Version : Lost Series Finale (possible spoilers)

forrestcupp
May 24th, 2010, 02:54 PM
What are your thoughts on the series finale of Lost? Were you satisfied with how they ended it?

I thought the whole show was pretty amazing, but the very end was kind of weird. Even though they didn't answer every question, I thought all of the important ones were answered.

There is definitely room for some kind of spin off, but that would be extremely corny. I hope they don't do that.

Tristam Green
May 24th, 2010, 02:58 PM
:D i voted but don't know why!

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Not a fan. I think it conflicted with another show I watch.

forrestcupp
May 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Are there really no Lost fans here that want to comment on the ending of such an epic show?

Lost was probably my favorite show of all times. I thought a show that has that much fantasy/sci-fi background would be more of a hit with the geek crowd.

Naiki Muliaina
May 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I followed it on terrestrial TV in the UK (channel 4 I think) but once Sky pulled all that Sky/Virgin boulder-dash and tomfoolery I missed a season and never got back into it. That topped Lost off for quite a few people I know, my social group all sorta lost interest in it and never went back to it. Same as Heroes when the BBC gave it a Saturday night death slot. Gogo BBC!

samalex
May 24th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I had never watched Lost until last night, so I guess I just spoiled any chance of getting into it if I ever decided to pick it up from the beginning. At any rate never watching it I was pretty much LOST through the entire episode :-D

Sam

forrestcupp
May 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I had never watched Lost until last night, so I guess I just spoiled any chance of getting into it if I ever decided to pick it up from the beginning. At any rate never watching it I was pretty much LOST through the entire episode :-D

Sam

Yeah. It's probably not best to watch a series finale when you haven't ever seen the show. ;) That's worse than picking up Tale of Two Cities and just reading the last chapter.

That reminds me of when my grandma took me to see Return of the Jedi, and she hadn't seen any of the other Star Wars movies.

samalex
May 24th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Yeah. It's probably not best to watch a series finale when you haven't ever seen the show. ;) That's worse than picking up Tale of Two Cities and just reading the last chapter.

That reminds me of when my grandma took me to see Return of the Jedi, and she hadn't seen any of the other Star Wars movies.

Though Lost always sounded like a good series, I just never gave it much chance because not enough hours in the day I guess :) Probably by the time we get around to watching it from episode 1 the details of the Finale will be forgotten.

Sam

LowSky
May 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I thought it was funny when Charlie got shot with a tranquillizer gun. Only because the same actor gets shot repeatedly with one in an episode of Chuck, where he is playing a musician which of course he was on Lost.

I still don't fully understand the ending. What happened to the people who made it to the plane? What happened to Hurley and the other two? I thought Hurley was now the island protector, so should he sorta live a really long time.. Some how they all end up in the church at the end after living alternative lives, but you only see the story from Jack's angle so its seems confusing.

I know the show's producers have said in the past that the island wasn't Purgatory, but after watching all that it seems the alternative world was the purgatory...

forrestcupp
May 24th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I thought it was funny when Charlie got shot with a tranquillizer gun. Only because the same actor gets shot repeatedly with one in an episode of Chuck, where he is playing a musician which of course he was on Lost.I watch Chuck, but I never saw that episode. I'll have to look it up.

I still don't fully understand the ending. What happened to the people who made it to the plane? What happened to Hurley and the other two? I thought Hurley was now the island protector, so should he sorta live a really long time.. Some how they all end up in the church at the end after living alternative lives, but you only see the story from Jack's angle so its seems confusing.

I know the show's producers have said in the past that the island wasn't Purgatory, but after watching all that it seems the alternative world was the purgatory...Yeah, the alternative world without the island was like purgatory. Christian told Jack that they didn't all die the same time. Some died before him and some died long after him, but there is no time in that place. So Hurley could have ruled on the island for a long time before he died, and the plane people could have lived a while in the real world, and they still could have been there at the same time.

I thought it was awesome, but the very end was kind of cheesy. It was too much like the end of The Titanic.

Madspyman
May 24th, 2010, 08:48 PM
The motivation behind the dead character ending for Lost is understandable. But as for the events that happened on the island, they did a great job building towards something big, only for an epic letdown.

Don't lead me on a mysterious smart thoughtful journey to a cork in an island hiding a light that defies explanation, only to tell me you're dissecting characters.

Lost f'd up, pretending to be something it wasn't, the ending meant little other than to assure us the characters were happy. If Lost ended without the dead character wrap up it'd have been chalked up to bad writing.

The character ending felt like an afterthought.

You can't write an afterthought into a story to make up for a poorly written ending, no matter how moving the it might be.

forrestcupp
May 24th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Don't lead me on a mysterious smart thoughtful journey to a cork in an island hiding a light that defies explanation, only to tell me you're dissecting characters.

I don't think that's all it was. They led up to it for a while saying that if the island were destroyed in this way that the whole world would be destroyed. That's why it had to be protected.

The only thing they didn't really explain was why was it so important that the man in black couldn't leave the island even if the light source wasn't destroyed?

Madspyman
May 24th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I don't think that's all it was. They led up to it for a while saying that if the island were destroyed in this way that the whole world would be destroyed. That's why it had to be protected.

Yes but the explanation for it was poor as was the cork in the island idea. The flash sideways was a mislead to an ending that had little to do with the plot of the original story. Thats just bad writing.

I'd accept any good ending that put the story to a satisfying rest. I cared just as much about the plot as I did the character development, both are just as important as the other and good stories cleverly tie both together. Lost almost had it right.

LowSky
May 24th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I watch Chuck, but I never saw that episode. I'll have to look it up.

Season 2 Episode 12.

ElSlunko
May 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I gotta disagree with you Madspyman because the entire last season had the ending in mind, not just the last episode. So I don't think it was an after thought at all. The surprise they left at the end was revealing what LAX really was the whole time. It probably wasn't what we wanted it to be though.

The episode started off kinda slow, but like I just mentioned the whole season was the ending so I was kinda sorta satisfied. Pretty much the only thing that left me empty was not knowing about one pretty important character -- the island.

lisati
May 24th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I've only ever watched a couple of episodes due to conflicts with other shows that we like in our family. It all sounds very allegorical to me.

mamamia88
May 24th, 2010, 09:51 PM
just watched it on my ps3. I have to say it seems like a copout of an ending

Madspyman
May 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I gotta disagree with you Madspyman because the entire last season had the ending in mind, not just the last episode. So I don't think it was an after thought at all. The surprise they left at the end was revealing what LAX really was the whole time. It probably wasn't what we wanted it to be though.

The episode started off kinda slow, but like I just mentioned the whole season was the ending so I was kinda sorta satisfied. Pretty much the only thing that left me empty was not knowing about one pretty important character -- the island.

Why the light was there wasn't explained, neither was why the mib turned into a smoke monster when thrown into it.

Maybe we were supposed to care more about the sideways world than the real one, that way we'd dismiss what happened on the island because we got a meaningful ending from characters we care about.

The problem was they made us think everything would tie in nicely together with the actual events that happened. They weaved a sequel into Lost by making us think it was part of the current storyline.

Unplugging a cork to a light we know nothing about, to kill a smoke monster we don't why exists is irresponsible writing.

Pulp Fiction was great because I didn't care what was in the case at the end. I knew it was possible to keep something important in that case.

The island was like a case that shouldn't exist holding inside it something equally as impossible.

ElSlunko
May 24th, 2010, 10:09 PM
It's true that you don't see the whole story & never were meant to (I guess). It all starts & ends with Jack -- so it really was his journey.

I don't like it, but it certainly was a brave move on their part. At least they clued us in on the time table by Hugo & Ben's exchange at the end.

forrestcupp
May 24th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I was glad that they redeemed Locke, though. Locke was one of my favorite characters, and I was kind of pissed about what they made him into.

It made me happy when Jack told the mib that he wasn't Locke, it was a disgrace that he was wearing Locke's face, and he now believes that everything Locke said was right.

Yes but the explanation for it was poor as was the cork in the island idea. The flash sideways was a mislead to an ending that had little to do with the plot of the original story. Thats just bad writing.
That depends on what your idea of the "original story" is. Throughout the season, they answered the questions about the island as much as they intended to. I think the "original story" was more about the characters than the island. The whole first season was about the characters, with a little island thrown in. Most of the last season ended the series with the characters, which is how it started. The climax wasn't the island; it was the characters. That's why they addressed the island before the end.

It's obvious that all of this wasn't an afterthought. They had been building up to this since at least the beginning or middle of season 5. It's not their fault that everyone doesn't think it should be how they made it. There were a thousand theories out there, so they couldn't please everyone.

Queue29
May 24th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Watched every episode now, and I must say, I think the last one was indeed the worst. There were still too many unanswered questions, and far too much boring and meaningless dialog.

The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of explanation for the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.

Madspyman
May 24th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I was glad that they redeemed Locke, though. Locke was one of my favorite characters, and I was kind of pissed about what they made him into.

It made me happy when Jack told the mib that he wasn't Locke, it was a disgrace that he was wearing Locke's face, and he now believes that everything Locke said was right.

That depends on what your idea of the "original story" is. Throughout the season, they answered the questions about the island as much as they intended to. I think the "original story" was more about the characters than the island. The whole first season was about the characters, with a little island thrown in. Most of the last season ended the series with the characters, which is how it started. The climax wasn't the island; it was the characters. That's why they addressed the island before the end.

It's obvious that all of this wasn't an afterthought. They had been building up to this since at least the beginning or middle of season 5. It's not their fault that everyone doesn't think it should be how they made it. There were a thousand theories out there, so they couldn't please everyone.

The writers obviously made a mistake by adding more plot into their character drama than they wanted to deal with, and then ending the series with the hopes the audience wasn't following along to find out any of the answers to the questions their writing proposed. Instead assuming that we cared more about a happy ending regardless of what it was. Irresponsible writing.

ElSlunko
May 25th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Watched every episode now, and I must say, I think the last one was indeed the worst. There were still too many unanswered questions, and far too much boring and meaningless dialog.

The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of explanation for the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.

I think it was the last 6 candidate's numbers.

The ending would've made better sense as a book I guess. Kinda like the Road... it's not about what happened but about the character's struggles.

Cuddles McKitten
May 25th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I was right all along. The writers had no idea where they were headed.

It's not even about unanswered questions, it's about little tangents they went into that had no bearing on anything. Anyone remember how Locke was involved with some marijuana farming ring and shot a cop or some such? That was just one of a number of incidents that they never mentioned again, and it had nothing to do with anything happening whatsoever.

I think on a meta level, this was just an experiment to see if you can write a long, rambling story consisting of nothing but "OH LOOK! THERE'S A MYSTERY!" and get people to follow along because (like me) they'll hope you'll explain it. The writers are trolls with a wide audience who got paid to shovel excrement. This show was the "Freddy Got Fingered" analog of the primetime world.

ElSlunko
May 25th, 2010, 06:08 AM
He didn't shoot the cop. The point of the commune was to show his desire to find family in the world since that's what they talked about (family this and that).

His cowardice and foolishness lead to the groups undoing and he was left shunned and an orphan once again.

xander98989
May 25th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I agree completely with Madspyman and the other detractors. Of course the popularity of Lost has much to do with the show being many things at once but being some mythical religious allegory in the end is taking the easy way out. If it's done well I like fiction that's open to interpretation--like David Lynch--but Lost was not done well. Yes there were some great moments but overall it was garbage. These last two seasons were complete fluff and the only reason I kept watching was that I was expecting a huge payoff. There was time back when the Dharma Initiative hatches were found that seemed like Lost was poised to become a badass sci-fi epic but much to my dismay it ended up as shallow fantasy. All those old movies from the hatches were intriguing. The scene were Sayid discovers Danielle's 16 year old radio message was almost scary. The conviction that drove Linus and the Other's to lie and kill was suspense at its best. Time travel and ghosts-who-don't-know-they're-ghosts, on the other hand, are the two most gimmicky plot devices ever and this stupid show ended up having both.

Boo!

forrestcupp
May 25th, 2010, 02:48 PM
The writers obviously made a mistake by adding more plot into their character drama than they wanted to deal with, and then ending the series with the hopes the audience wasn't following along to find out any of the answers to the questions their writing proposed. Instead assuming that we cared more about a happy ending regardless of what it was. Irresponsible writing.

The executive producers claim that they knew in the very beginning how they were going to end it.

I think the only mistake and afterthought was the dumb idea of putting Walt in the show. They had to figure out how to deal with the fact that little kids grow up in real life a lot faster than the show's time line. I think that's why the first time we saw Walt again, he was hiding under the dash of the boat so we wouldn't notice that he had grown a foot and it was only supposed to be a couple of months later.

I think it was the last 6 candidate's numbers.

The ending would've made better sense as a book I guess. Kinda like the Road... it's not about what happened but about the character's struggles.
You're right. The numbers had to do with the candidates names written on the cave wall. Who knows why they were numbered that way, but that's what it was.

GarmaZed
May 25th, 2010, 08:40 PM
just watched it on my ps3. I have to say it seems like a copout of an ending

I disagree that this is a cop-out of a finale. I won't go deep into it, but they tied up so many loose ends, and the idea that they could answer every question raised by the show is just unrealistic. Besides, I feel if they dedicated the show to answering all the mysteries and illusions of the island... that would totally ruin the whole mysticism of LOST, what I feel made the show so great and unique in the first place.

The ending was fantastic, and I do appreciate it more as I let it settle in. The only thing that I'm slightly upset about is the shock of no more LOST.

Madspyman
May 25th, 2010, 09:01 PM
The executive producers claim that they knew in the very beginning how they were going to end it.

I think the only mistake and afterthought was the dumb idea of putting Walt in the show. They had to figure out how to deal with the fact that little kids grow up in real life a lot faster than the show's time line. I think that's why the first time we saw Walt again, he was hiding under the dash of the boat so we wouldn't notice that he had grown a foot and it was only supposed to be a couple of months later.

IDK the afterthought seemed to be introducing elements into the story with no explanation, (the light was introduced 2 episodes before the finale, why did throwing the mib into it turn him into smoke?) and then claiming they didn't need to be explained because Lost is about the characters. That's just one example. Lost weaved an intricate web with promise of a big payoff. Emotionally it was a win, intellectually it was a fail.

Anyone can write a story with no explanation and then end it thoughtfully without explaining why it happened. Watch me do it.

Once upon a time a man found a magical coin, it transported him to the future where he met an enchanting woman, she told him that the coin was evil and had to be destroyed.

The man wondered if he destroyed the coin how would he ever get home? The woman explained she had the ability to send him back. Trusting the woman the man threw the coin into the deepest part of ocean where it would never be found again.

The woman laughed as she was really evil and had tricked the man into extinguishing what little good there was in the world. Horrified the man dove in after the coin, he could hoped he could hold his breath long enough to retrieve it.

As he neared the bottom he could no longer hold his breath. As he faded away he saw the glow of the coin and was at peace. He knew there was still good left in the world.

He awoke on shore back in his own time when he got home his mother had made him breakfast. He was shocked to see his mother as she had been dead for over a year, but knowing there was a place after death made him realize he truly was home. The end.

See that? Lost is no different, the ending was a copout.

But yeah Walt was another example of poor planning on the writers behalf.

Old Marcus
May 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM
The ending seems very similar to the ending of Ashes to Ashes. Although I feel Ashes to Ashes probably did a better job, but that's just me.

I haven't actually ever watched lost, just comparing the endings.

estyles
May 25th, 2010, 09:39 PM
My biggest problem with the ending was that they kept dropping hints that the flash-sideways had more significance than it ended up having. Most importantly, Juliette in the first episode of the season saying "it worked", when really "it" didn't work at all (resetting time by blowing up a bomb in the past). And Desmond talking about Jack's son and stuff (what, he just had visions of the afterlife?) and talking about "leaving" in the flash-sideways. A lot of this stuff just doesn't add up. I would have almost been happier if it was revealed that they had all died in the initial plane crash.

forrestcupp
May 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM
IDK the afterthought seemed to be introducing elements into the story with no explanation, (the light was introduced 2 episodes before the finale, why did throwing the mib into it turn him into smoke?) and then claiming they didn't need to be explained because Lost is about the characters. That's just one example. Lost weaved an intricate web with promise of a big payoff. Emotionally it was a win, intellectually it was a fail.

The light was introduced late, but it has kind of been implied that there is something like that for the whole series, with the electromagnetism. They just finally revealed what it was.

One possible explanation for the mib turning into smoke is this. Desmond wasn't affected physically because for some reason he was special and his body could handle the electromagnetism. That's why they used him in the first place. Jack was already ordained as the protector of the light, which may have given him special status that kept him from changing. The mib was the only other one that came into contact with it, so maybe it would have that effect on everyone else, too. Or another theory is that it turned him into a smoke monster because his motives were evil.

I think they intended to not answer every question because then it wouldn't leave room for anyone to come up with their own ideas and think they've figured it out. Like someone said earlier, that's how mythology works.

BTW, I liked your story. :)

ElSlunko
May 25th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I think Desmond was "special" because of his 3 years in the hatch. Built up an immunity or resistance?

Juliette's comments were very misleading, but not out of place since her mutterings had to do with her connection to Sawyer. Perhaps she was muttering these things and her "LAX" was occurring at that very moment inside her brain/spirit what have you. She said "it worked" when she helped Sawyer get the candy bar.

ElSlunko
May 25th, 2010, 10:38 PM
The thing your mini story misses is character development. So it's not like lost or it's intention (I guess).

Take the road for instance. I might've already mentioned this but it bothered the hell out of me that you never know what happened. You wanted an excuse, something to point at and blame for all that misery but they never give it to you so you're can concentrate on the kid and his dad.

estyles
May 25th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Juliette's comments were very misleading, but not out of place since her mutterings had to do with her connection to Sawyer. Perhaps she was muttering these things and her "LAX" was occurring at that very moment inside her brain/spirit what have you. She said "it worked" when she helped Sawyer get the candy bar.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered.

To be honest, I wouldn't have been all that upset with the revelation that the flash-sideways was an after-life if it wasn't for all the annoying misdirection leading us to believe it might be something else. I mean, yeah, misdirection is what they do, but it seems like they were misdirecting us to believe that those scenes had some deep bearing on what would be a final plot twist, when really they meant precisely nothing - just a cute interlude to provide us with some sort of half-conceived moral at the end.

forrestcupp
May 25th, 2010, 11:14 PM

Great point. I didn't think of that. So when she said, "it worked", she wasn't talking about the bomb.

Madspyman
May 25th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Here's how I had it figured, forget the last episode if you will.

The light was emanating from an alternate dimension, the island was at the same spot as the light in our dimension and a gateway to it because of the electromagnetism. Destroying the island wouldn't destroy the light and the castaways would still be drawn there.

The flash sideways was a flash back (landing in LAX would have been the past based on the current timeline anyway), everyone eventually remembered what happened on the island and also blowing it up. They again felt drawn to the island and using Whitmore's company resources scientifically (string theory) discover what and where the light/island was and how to return to it.

Throwing the mib into the light caused him to turn to into smoke because thats how our molecules directly react to the physics of the light dimension. Protecting the light is to keep it contained (the Dharma Initiative) from turning the world evil.

In the flash sideways the castaways return in a plane, to where the island should have been, crash in the water (destiny), and encounter another time flash which sends them back to the future after the bomb had gone off and thats why Juliet said it worked.

The rest of the show continues with Jack trying to kill Smokey who's trying to use the light to turn the rest of the world evil. Jack realizes the only way to keep Smokey on the island is by becoming smoke as well (white smoke perhaps?). The two smoke monsters engage in a never ending battle where neither can die but also neither can leave the island (yin yang). The rest of the cast escape on the plane.

The powers everyone has can be explained by the electromagnetism and the effect the light has on the island. Each person had different powers based on the way the light reacting with their molecules. All the rules were based around how the earliest discovers of the light used their powers to try and keep it safe.

My ending still needs a bit of polish but I like where I was going with it. It uses string theory an unproven science that if proven would make the events on the island possible.

spupy
May 26th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Why should one episode, even if it is the final one, be a make-or-brake for the whole series? We are focusing too much on the end, and not on the journey. And the journey was amazing.

Anyway, I'm just gonna repost what I wrote in another forum:
------------------------------

I can't say I love the finale, but I'm not entirely disappointed by it, either. I must say I didn't understand what happened until after I read a recap at io9.
It was a nice wrap-up, and I liked it (apart from the cheese last minutes). It is not a show about a black smoke monster, not about a scientific group exploring an island, not about a man in white living in a stupid statue, not about a glowing pool of water. It was about a group of people that get involved with these things.

I just finished watching the episode now, but the night before, as I got into bed, I though up two possible alternate endings before seeing the finale. One bad, and one good.
The good one:
The island starts to crumble, MIB thinks he won, but he finds out that he can't really leave the island (or there isn't any world beyond the island - only the island exists in this world). Our people escape this crumbling world by "transferring" to the alt-universe (uniting with their alt-selves, who see this coming by the memory-flashes from the other side). Everyone is alive and lives happily ever after; MIB rots on the bottom of the ocean in a lost, empty universe.
Bad ending:
The island starts to crumble, but again MIB can't really leave the island with the plane/boat/whatever. But Desmond succeeds and everyone "leaves" the island and goes to the alt-world. There everyone is alive and lives happily ever after. The island is again destroyed. But!!! MIB did find a way to leave the island - he takes the place of Locke in the alt-world. Smokey has finally left the island and no one suspects... In fact, he knew from the beginning that "transferring" to the alt-universe and replacing alt-Locke was the one and only way for him to leave the island. And that was his plan all along. BAD END!
I was hoping for BAD END so much!

libssd
May 26th, 2010, 01:29 AM
The finale was the first Lost episode I ever watched. From what I've been able to suss out, it was fairly obvious in the pilot that they were in purgatory. With no preconceptions, I was surprised at the amount of (sometimes heavy-handed) religious allegory (Christian Pastor, Jacob as his brother's keeper, seek the light, yada, yada). After it was over, I gave my wife a one sentence summary: Everybody died, spent time in purgatory/limbo, and then they were happily reunited.

All in all, I'm glad that I didn't spend six years watching Lost. Linux is a big enough time sink.

Alternate endings here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjfc7uLJvCo) :popcorn:

standingwave
May 26th, 2010, 02:20 AM
They were trapped inside a giant snow-glow with Bob Newhart.

I watched the first season but got frustrated early into season 2.

Le-Froid
May 26th, 2010, 02:59 AM

You obviously haven't been paying much attention to the show :p
FLocke showed Sawyer the cave where Jacob wrote all of the candidates names down and assigned them a number.

Anyway I think the last episode was perfect. The writers answered the most important questions and the things they didn't answer or tell you about could easily be interpreted :)

Madspyman
May 26th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Why should one episode, even if it is the final one, be a make-or-brake for the whole series? We are focusing too much on the end, and not on the journey. And the journey was amazing.

The journey was amazing but that's not the only part about a story that matters.

What if the flash sideways had been omitted from season six? Do you think the ending to the events on the island were written well enough to stand alone?

I care about the reasons for why the characters had their powers. I want to know how they knew how to use them. I want to how they knew they could use them. I want to know where the light came from. I want to know why pulling a cork stops the light and putting it back starts it up again. I want to know why the same light they're trying to protect from Smokey gives him his evil powers. I want to know who makes the rules.

The flash sideways provided sort of a deux ex machina for the writers. It was an ending that came to the rescue of an ending that by it self was very unsatisfying. They weaved a reunion special (a sequel of sorts) into the last season that served no purpose in furthering the plot of the ongoing story (event's on the island) we were watching unfold. It was a total mislead.

Is this really whats considered good writing? What ever happened to tying up loose ends and explaining the reason behind the motivation of the characters.

I'm sorry but just showing us a mysterious light (at the last minute) and saying its the reason for everything, isn't good enough.

I want to believe the writers put things in place for reasons and didn't just make it up as they went along with no explanation as to why it was there in the first place.

You can't use a plot as a catalyst for character development and then say the characters are more important than the plot. Especially if the characters are being motivated by the elements of the plot. Again irresponsible writing.

BTW, I liked your story. :)

Thanks I wasn't trying to make much sense but I think I got the thoughtful part down. You still don't know where the coin came from or why the woman was evil, or why the man believed what the woman said, or why throwing the coin into the ocean was the solution.

forrestcupp
May 26th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks I wasn't trying to make much sense but I think I got the thoughtful part down. You still don't know where the coin came from or why the woman was evil, or why the man believed what the woman said, or why throwing the coin into the ocean was the solution.

It's human nature. We make stupid mistakes and we don't know everything.

What about Star Wars? Not many people would say there is bad writing involved there, but there are still tons of questions that were unanswered.

Also, a hundred different people have written Star Wars books, and they just make them however they want according to their interpretation of things. I doubt if George Lucas is in love with everything everyone has written into his universe, but they do it because he didn't answer every question.

ElSlunko
May 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM
It's kinda funny that you want the scientific approach to understanding the ending when the whole point was someone finding things outside of science and in faith & spirituality (Jack).

forrestcupp
May 26th, 2010, 11:21 PM
It's kinda funny that you want the scientific approach to understanding the ending when the whole point was someone finding things outside of science and in faith & spirituality (Jack).

Good point. Early on, Locke told Jack that their difference is that he is a man of faith and Jack is a man of science. Then Jack ended up becoming a man of faith like Locke was.

The show was more a fantasy than a sci-fi.

Madspyman
May 26th, 2010, 11:52 PM

John Locke was right about everything. I suppose seeing it through Jack's eyes helps make sense of it, cause he didn't have to sit through origin episodes with half *** explanations as to what the island was.

I was a bit let down by the writing, as I've said before it's easy to add element to a story and never explain where it came from. It feels lazy to me. Like the 2 main writers were like,

"How about there's a light in the island they need to protect." "Where'd it come from?" "Who cares, it's the reason they're there" "Is that why the mib is black smoke?" "Sure, why not?" "OK so does it give Smokey his power?" "It gives everybody power." "How?" "It's the heart of the island?" "OK, so can it be turned off?" "Maybe, that'd probably make Smokey vulnerable, so yeah lets do that." "Cool, that's how we can make Richard age again as well." "Nice touch, Jacks gonna half to turn it back on again though to save the day." "We can make the switch a cork like the wine bottle." "Yeah that was a good analogy lets make it literal." "Did we mention where the light came from?" "Yeah I'm pretty sure we covered it."

You can replace the word light with any old word you want, and the story still works as long as no one asks any questions.

cascade9
May 27th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I hated that finale. That was...really disapointing.

Oh well, at least it kept the candance going- series 1 (and ep 1) great, series 2 good, series 3 lame as a one legged duck. Restart. Series 4 great, series 5 good, series 6 lame and last ep super-lame. :|

spupy
May 27th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I just rewatched it. It was awesome. The alt-universe and the light and the ending may be detached from everything else in the series; but I think I prefer it to the epic-plot-twist-jawdropper-explain-everything-infodump ending that originally expected.

Ewingo401
May 27th, 2010, 12:48 AM
My biggest problem with the ending was that they kept dropping hints that the flash-sideways had more significance than it ended up having. Most importantly, Juliette in the first episode of the season saying "it worked", when really "it" didn't work at all (resetting time by blowing up a bomb in the past). And Desmond talking about Jack's son and stuff (what, he just had visions of the afterlife?) and talking about "leaving" in the flash-sideways. A lot of this stuff just doesn't add up. I would have almost been happier if it was revealed that they had all died in the initial plane crash.

When she said "it worked" she was referring to the unplugging the snack machine trick to get Sawyer's candy bar. Not the bomb.