PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Lol, Portage on Ubuntu

jdong
February 10th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Following a HOWTO on Gentoo forums, I was able to unpack Portage onto Ubuntu Hoary. Some quick hacks to emerge (i.e. dpkg-query checks during dependencies), and I managed to emerge mjpegtools.

Just a fun proof-of-concept.... LOL.

IMO, it's a bit dangerous to post the source for this hack. If I can stabilize it, I just may post it. :?

Titeuf
February 11th, 2005, 12:03 AM
This would make an awesome combo:
the simplicity and It Just Works of ubuntu combined with portage
I moved from Gentoo to Ubuntu, but I still miss portage :(

Randabis
February 11th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Wow, that's awesome. I'm dual booting both right now. :)

kassetra
February 11th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Wouldn't that be the best of all linux worlds possible here? Portage, Ubuntu, apt... wow.

I just can't even imagine that kind of possibility.

TravisNewman
February 11th, 2005, 04:34 AM
There is something similar to portage for apt. apt-build, I think. It's definitely not the same, but it still resolves dependenies and compiles.

az
February 11th, 2005, 12:49 PM
apt-get build-dep $package
apt-get -b source %package

Titeuf
February 11th, 2005, 01:11 PM
There is something similar to portage for apt. apt-build, I think. It's definitely not the same, but it still resolves dependenies and compiles.
This is just the worst part of portage IMHO: that it compiles everything, it takes way too much time.
I love portage because of the USE-flags and also that almost everything is in it: mplayer, win32codecs, ...

jdong
February 11th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I want to port portage primarily for its abundance of apps, and its ease-of-development.

I want a good native way to deal with w32codecs, etc.

Dylanby
February 11th, 2005, 01:27 PM
You could try pkgsrc (http://www.pkgsrc.org/)

I've read posts from people who've used it on Slack. It'd be interesting to see how it compares to dpkg/apt.

Titeuf
February 13th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Can you post a small howto on how to do this ?
I would love to experiment with this :)

rufius
February 13th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Following a HOWTO on Gentoo forums, I was able to unpack Portage onto Ubuntu Hoary. Some quick hacks to emerge (i.e. dpkg-query checks during dependencies), and I managed to emerge mjpegtools.

Just a fun proof-of-concept.... LOL.

IMO, it's a bit dangerous to post the source for this hack. If I can stabilize it, I just may post it. :?
lol Yikes John thats scary to me. Portage is ok but I think I'll stick to the deb's. :)