PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I don't want automount in Ubuntu 10.04 ;( How?

super.kote
May 24th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Hi, guys.

I have a problem that I can not decide for 2 weeks.

Here is what happened:

On my laptop, installed just Windows XP. In the past, when I installed the second system, Ubuntu 9.04 or 9.10 (for dual-boot), Ubuntu asked the administrator password for access to just Windows XP partition. I mean, that just Windows XP partitions were visible, but for the entrance (mount) needed a root password.

Now, in Ubuntu 10.04, Windows XP partition mount automatically and Ubuntu does not require the root password.

I do not like it very much. [-X

Tell me please, what do the settings at the time of installation of Ubuntu for just Windows XP that the system would be asking root password for just Windows XP partitions?

Is this possible? I think - yes. Because in the past the default 9.04 and 9.10 asked for a password.

PS: I must say, as I put Ubuntu and just Windows:

1. Be installed just Windows XP, giving it 20 GB space 100 GB hard drive. </span>The remaining 80 Gigabytes leave out the implications.

2. Installed by Ubuntu for free 80 gigabyte:

a) 2 GB - swap
b) 20 gigabytes - root partition /
a) 58 GB - home folder / Home

All the settings, except for manual partitioning, the default.

Thank you.

dino99
May 24th, 2010, 01:29 PM
you have a nice tool to do that: install mountmanager to set your prefs about devices and partitions (system admin mountmanager)

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-recover-password-under-ubuntu.html

super.kote
May 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM
you have a nice tool to do that: install mountmanager to set your prefs about devices and partitions (system admin mountmanager)

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-recover-password-under-ubuntu.html

Thank you for your prompt response.

I installed this program, but I do not know what line I should point mark, to request a password for each entry in just Windows XP partitions. I am a beginner at Ubuntu, tell me please what I need to mark?

Please look at the screenshot. Program has Russian interface, but I think, visually, all standard and you can tell me.

http://static.itmages.ru/i/10/0524/h_1274705292_522407a6d9.jpg

Thank you

Sorry for my English. But in the Russian-speaking resource to me for 2 weeks, no one can tell the exact answer: (

dino99
May 24th, 2010, 01:57 PM
wow its hard time for me too, english its ok but russian :(

on your screenshot you have a line beginning with Kto ... with a scrolldown list choice: if you choose "administrator" then a password is requested, as you dont want to be asked about password, select "user"

you can press F1 for help too

super.kote
May 24th, 2010, 03:56 PM
wow its hard time for me too, english its ok but russian :(

on your screenshot you have a line beginning with Kto ... with a scrolldown list choice: if you choose "administrator" then a password is requested, as you dont want to be asked about password, select "user"

you can press F1 for help too

Thank you for your patience :)

This line translate like: "Who can mount partition?" and answer: "Only administrator".

So, default settings is "Only administrator", BUT password is not requested :(

Why? :(

dino99
May 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1403355

alterpinguin
May 24th, 2010, 04:13 PM
beside in older versions (i did not test this in 10.04) to disable the module for this, there is a way to disable it for nautilus.
nautilus is the "thing" in the default ubuntu installation and its settings can be changed with the "gconf-editor" in your user-settings.
start gconf-editor
-> apps
-> nautilus
-> preferences
and there are settings (with flag) for
media_automount =should be for the mounting of (for example) inserted usb-sticks
media_automount_open =should be for the open/start of a new browser-window for this storage.

-
there is in: system->start-programs
additional entries for "informing about media-changes"
-
and last ooops,
if one dont want "automatic mounting" that is defined in /etc/fstab
one has to delete the lines there for this device. Then normaly
only root can do the mounting(and root has to know how, like dev-name and special codepages ...).

super.kote
May 24th, 2010, 04:42 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1403355

Sorry, but im not understand, how this can help me :(

super.kote
May 24th, 2010, 04:45 PM
beside in older versions (i did not test this in 10.04) to disable the module for this, there is a way to disable it for nautilus.
nautilus is the "thing" in the default ubuntu installation and its settings can be changed with the "gconf-editor" in your user-settings.
start gconf-editor
-> apps
-> nautilus
-> preferences
and there are settings (with flag) for
media_automount =should be for the mounting of (for example) inserted usb-sticks
media_automount_open =should be for the open/start of a new browser-window for this storage.

I'm unmark "media_automount" and "media_automount_open", but system not requested the password and mount automatically :( Maybe i need restart system?

alterpinguin
May 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I'm unmark "media_automount" and "media_automount_open", but system not requested the password and mount automatically :( Maybe i need restart system?

sorry, was not clear explained by me,
those nautilus-options are for media-storage you insert after starting the computer like an usb-stick or a cd or dvd ...
all other storages, like the partitions on your running harddrive are normaly entries in /etc/fstab and if checked there for automount, then they are automounted.
If you have the "options" field for the storage (example /dev/sda3 or UUID=blablabla if the UUID is used) not set to "noauto"
like in /etc/fstab:
UUID=blablablablbl /media/sda3 ext3 rw,user,noauto 0
------------ check the noauto above----
then this storage will automatical be mounted.
Check: man fstab
for more information.
Either delete the whole line - or better mark it with "#" at the start
- or more better make a backup of the file ... and make the changes there.

super.kote
May 24th, 2010, 10:58 PM
sorry, was not clear explained by me,
those nautilus-options are for media-storage you insert after starting the computer like an usb-stick or a cd or dvd ...
all other storages, like the partitions on your running harddrive are normaly entries in /etc/fstab and if checked there for automount, then they are automounted.
If you have the "options" field for the storage (example /dev/sda3 or UUID=blablabla if the UUID is used) not set to "noauto"
like in /etc/fstab:
UUID=blablablablbl /media/sda3 ext3 rw,user,noauto 0
------------ check the noauto above----
then this storage will automatical be mounted.
Check: man fstab
for more information.
Either delete the whole line - or better mark it with "#" at the start
- or more better make a backup of the file ... and make the changes there.

Sorry, but in my file fstab i dont see Windows partition. Only this:

proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
UUID=c62af248-38e1-4dd0-a4b3-4930db409f33 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=9924fb1b-7068-43ea-b451-c817edcd9aee /home ext4 defaults 0 2
UUID=3fbe198e-66b8-4744-b5e6-2d26f8a8c6fc none swap sw 0 0