PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from lenny to lucid?

spalm
May 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I've some major pains with my Debian 5.0.4 ("lenny") installation and as "squeeze" is delayed I consider switching to "lucid".

Has anybody done this before? I'm not sure if should upgrade directly to "lucid" or do an intermediate step via "karmic". Any suggestions?

TIA,
Stefan

lisati
May 24th, 2010, 01:07 PM
It might be easier to backup your data, then do a clean install of Ubuntu.

dino99
May 24th, 2010, 01:11 PM
lucid is a sid like, so you might try with sid first as you dont talk about your issues.

if you have room to install lucid on a dedicated partition, a clean install is always a best choice as ubuntu tuning is quite different of a pure debian distro

mini howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I vote fresh install. You may get trapped in dependency hell.

kerry_s
May 24th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I've some major pains with my Debian 5.0.4 ("lenny") installation and as "squeeze" is delayed I consider switching to "lucid".

Has anybody done this before? I'm not sure if should upgrade directly to "lucid" or do an intermediate step via "karmic". Any suggestions?

TIA,
Stefan

you can't turn debian into ubuntu, there built very different underneath.
you'll have to do a fresh install.

cascade9
May 24th, 2010, 01:54 PM
It might be easier to backup your data, then do a clean install of Ubuntu.
+1. It might be possible to change all the repos to ubuntu, and then update (people have managed to pull of crazier things....IIRC somebody did this with Arch-> Gentoo). But its a bad idea, do a fresh install.

spalm
May 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM
you can't turn debian into ubuntu, there built very different underneath.
Hmm, I did it once (sarge -> dapper) and it worked out pretty smoothly. But this was a long ago and on a desktop, not on a server...

Anyway, people here seem to agree that a fresh install would be the best approach. Thanks a lot for your replies. I guess I've to think about a "migration strategy".

Stefan

dino99
May 24th, 2010, 02:21 PM
look at the link into my first post

kerry_s
May 24th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hmm, I did it once (sarge -> dapper) and it worked out pretty smoothly. But this was a long ago and on a desktop, not on a server...

Anyway, people here seem to agree that a fresh install would be the best approach. Thanks a lot for your replies. I guess I've to think about a "migration strategy".

Stefan

yeah, back then ubuntu was still standard debian, now there more ubuntu specific built to work there way.

spalm
May 25th, 2010, 01:18 PM
look at the link into my first post

Thanks for that link but as I have to reinstall and configure everything from scratch I'll also use the chance to change my filesystem layout (I might even switch to OS as I would love to see ZFS on my disks).