PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.4 just boots to login prompt

Ceejay34
May 24th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I installed 64 bit Lucid Lynx last week. There were some issues with the grub boot manager and my windows boot manager but that was solved thanks to some great help from the guys at the forums. However, about half the time i would boot to reach only a login prompt. If i used CTRL ALT DEL i would then reboot usually into the GUI.

So now i only reach a login prompt all the time. How do i get the the GUI to run automatically?

julio_cortez
May 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM
It happened to me a couple of times with Kubuntu but I think it's more or less the same:

Are you able to login using your username and password?
If so, does the GUI load if you (once logged in) type startx in the command line?

On a different note, you may want to try
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
and see if it works ;)

Ceejay34
May 24th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Yes i can login with my username and password no problem and Ubuntu welcomes me when i do.
I saw startx as a remedy before and tried it then i get a message that screen 0 has already been started or some such ( I cant try it right now cause i am in windows at the moment). An hour ago Ubuntu did start up to the desktop again, I dont really know why it does or does not do that, but i will try your suggestions and get back here thanks for replying

dino99
May 24th, 2010, 02:04 PM
need some info about your hardware as it seems to be a video driver issue, try to boot in recovery mode or add video=vesa on the boot line. is it a fresh install or a dist-upgrade ?

Ceejay34
May 24th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Right I am back in the real world here (Ubuntu) so it did just start up properly so I cant test your suggestion i will try it next time it does that