PDA

View Full Version : Did you make the move?(10.04)

Dayofswords
May 24th, 2010, 07:34 AM
It's been nearly a month now , those who are or are not moving to it probably have. So I'd like to know how you went about it in this poll.

please answer for all computers you did. if you have, lets say, 3 you upgraded and one clean, choose clean and upgrade.While thats doesn't make this entirely accurate, I'd just like to get an idea of what people did.

EDIT:typo monster has gotten me! the first option is supposed to be "upgraded and stayed on 10.04", but i think you'll get the idea, if i make one for 10.10, i'll proof read it better lol

and last option is meant to be "specify"

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Heck, Im already testing out 10.10

wojox@wojox-desktop:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu maverick (development branch)"

I voted wrong. I did a clean install.

Dayofswords
May 24th, 2010, 07:50 AM
thats fine, i'm just wondering what people did, not like i'm writing a paper lol

linuxisfree
May 24th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Actually did a clean install about a week ago. Works great for me!

alexcckll
May 24th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I'm "waiting until the service pack".

chessnerd
May 24th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I did a clean install on three machines. The only one with issues is my laptop, which has the same issues it did under Karmic (this unfortunately includes random full-system crashes).

I'm hoping Maverick will fix this issue, but I doubt if it will. I could go all the way back to Jaunty, but then the wi-fi and sound support is terrible.

Occasional Random Crashes vs. no Internet and Sound

I'll go with occasional crashes.

Shining Arcanine
May 24th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Why is this a multiple option poll? I voted all options by the way.

chessnerd
May 24th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Why is this a multiple option poll? I voted all options by the way.

Some people might have more than one computer that they manage and, therefore, might have done different things for the different computers and had different results. All of these upgrades/installs are valid and are not mutually exclusive, so multiple options are necessary.

Why vote all options? Do you manage 6+ computers and did all of these things?

Dayofswords
May 24th, 2010, 08:25 AM
i'll share mine:

Upgrade and returned: upgraded but issues made me return to previous version
Clean: did a clean install and stayed on 10.04
Clean and returned: did a clean install but issues forced me to return to previous version

i have a computer that had issues after a upgrade, so i did a clean install, still had the issues, i gave up on linux on that computer since... it just never ran well. It currently is running windows XP SP3 and very nicely since HP still have the 6 year drivers! <3 u Hp for that awesome commitment

My main laptop is running 9.10 still and i may or may not go to 10.04. i forgot about it until after i had voted lol =P

Phrea
May 24th, 2010, 08:27 AM
3 computers, 3 clean installs.
2 Ubuntu, 1 Xubuntu.

Taras.M.K
May 24th, 2010, 08:35 AM
2 computers, 2 upgrades.
Had issues with some applets at one computer, solved it by removing personal configs from home dir and settled them anew.
Works great for now.

Shining Arcanine
May 24th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Some people might have more than one computer that they manage and, therefore, might have done different things for the different computers and had different results. All of these upgrades/installs are valid and are not mutually exclusive, so multiple options are necessary.

Why vote all options? Do you manage 6+ computers and did all of these things?

I feel that polls like this should be single option only, so I tend to vote all options in them.

Irihapeti
May 24th, 2010, 10:57 AM
One computer, two laptops, clean install on all of them.

They all have some problems but are generally usable, so I'll stick with it.

Danimoth
May 24th, 2010, 11:58 AM
6 computers, 2 upgrades, 4 clean installs, all with no problems.

NCLI
May 24th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I feel that polls like this should be single option only, so I tend to vote all options in them.

So, you disagree with the OP about how his poll should be, and then tr to screw up the results because of this? How kind.

rolnics
May 24th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I haven't moved to 10.04....yet.

For a couple of reasons, one my P4 is out of action at the mo(dead psu) which is running hardy (8.04) so until I fix it that's how it is on that one. I've very tempted to do an upgrade on it, just so experience the process.

The other machines are P3, one I will try an upgrade on. The others I will do a clean install with the bare minimum or dare I say it use a different distro..... just to get some more speed out of them. Although its usable it would be good just to see what can be done with them.

KdotJ
May 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I was running from Lucid from beta1 in virtualbox. Poor old karmic wasn't really used from this point on (apart from running virtualbox of course). Despite having no troubles at all, I did however wait until the final release before doing a clean install on my machine.

And soon it all starts again... already got Lucid in virtualbox that's upgraded to Maverick Deveplopment Branch...

98cwitr
May 24th, 2010, 02:41 PM
upgraded from 9.10 to beta a few months back, SSD came in and did a clean install, media server is staying put on 9.10 for the time being. So I voted for multiple that were applicable :)

eriktheblu
May 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Did the upgrade on my primary machine, had to reinstall grub. Other than grub issues and the default theme, across the board improvement over Karmic. My issues with Pulseaudio are not solved, but reduced in frequency.

My Myth box was running 9.04, and the 9.10 upgrade repeatedly failed. Did a clean install of Mythbutu 10.04 on there. Overall improvement.

MC_Sketch
May 25th, 2010, 09:30 PM
currently upgrading :D

cariboo
May 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I did 1 clean install, 1 update from beta 2 and 1 update from beta 1. Then 2 clean installs to upgrade to Maverick, I still have the Lucid installs to fall back on if Maverick breaks for some reason. My netbook is waiting for Unity upgrades.

airplus
May 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM
No way I am touching my current installation (9.10)

After all the hours spent installing/ configuring / solving problems to finally make it run, I am not going through that again :P

For example getting the webcam to work with Skype was a miracle, I still don't know how I did it :)

9.10 is working nicely (sort of) so

if not broken, don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sports fan Matt
May 25th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Both clean & upgrade (clean via the cd) with the same pc.

CharlesA
May 25th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Clean install on server, clean install in VM. Server had a hiccup after a kernel upgrade, but is doing fine now. :)

kabloink
May 25th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I did clean installs on three machines but due to regressions forced to go back to 9.10.

Do Androids Dream?
May 25th, 2010, 10:32 PM
two laptops 1 upgrade, 1 clean install

very happy with both, (tho the wireless is a bit twitchy on my netbook)
C'est la vie

lykwydchykyn
May 25th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I've upgraded 4 desktops, a couple kiosks, and I think a server or two (it's been a while). I wouldn't say there weren't any problems, but I've learned enough about APT/dpkg over the years to wrangle them back from the brink when things go bonkers.

Just one machine left to go really: my wife's laptop. Proceeding cautiously with that one...

kaldor
May 25th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I did clean install of 10.04, but while it was great it wasn't anything special. Switched to openSUSE after a week or so.

Shpongle
May 25th, 2010, 11:55 PM
upgraded the laptop , and I may upgrade the desktop over the summer , but seeing as I dont use it that much I may just wait. The upgrade went fine and all is well

Timmer1240
May 26th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Stayin with Karmic and luvin it got it all the way I want so dont wanna mess it up if she aint broke dont fix er thats my opinion!

witeshark17
May 26th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I did the upgrade and I'm very happy! :popcorn:

Jay Car
May 26th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Out of four machines, two are still on Karmic, two run Lucid...one of those two was a clean install, the other'n was an upgrade. Neither one of them are as nice (yet) as the Karmic systems, but I'm not finished with them yet, so they'll get better soon...I hope. :)

From the Gibbon to the Lynx, Jaunty and Lucid have been the toughest to set up (for me), more problems to solve, it seems. Maybe it's because I don't have the time these days to play with new installs like I used to, so I'm not feeling as patient.

The *up* side of having problems to solve is that I've spent more time searching and reading on the forums than normal...that's been fun, there's nice people here.

I'm looking forward to Maverick now... :popcorn:

Khakilang
May 26th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I did a clean install to Ubuntu 9.10 which I completely wipe out my previous Window XP in March and did an upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 on my main computer and finnaly I did a clean install to Lubuntu 10.04 Alpha version on my old computer and did a massive update to stable version.

slackthumbz
May 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM
started running Lucid in a VM while it was pre-release then did clean installs once the beta ISO's were out. Never looked back :D

wolf_3d
May 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I did:

Clean: did a clean install and stayed on 10.04

I had been doing the upgrade paths from 7.04 > 7.10 > 8.04 > 8.10 > 9.04 > 9.10. I do regret doing this as I think I would have gotten more out of them by doing clean installs.

I decided that this time I'd learn from my mistakes and do a clean install of Lucid Lynx which I think is a great improvement over 9.10. I'll be staying with this now for the next 2-3 years unless 10.10, 11.04 or 11.10 have something very exceptional on offer.

fancypiper
May 26th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I upgraded 3 computers to Ubuntu 10.04, my own, and two computers for a friend. One of hers was a dual boot (Windows Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu 10.04) desktop system, and the other was a netbook for her 6 year old daughter, a Mirus Inspiration E09E16 that came with Edubuntu 9.04 pre-installed.

All went surprisingly easy except for the netbook. The owner had started an upgrade but aborted it and so could only boot to command line.

I completed the upgrades via command line until I could command startx. I finished the upgrades using Synaptic.

We are well pleased and staying with Ubuntu 10.04.

MooPi
May 26th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I'm "waiting until the service pack".
That is to funny for someone not to mention. Kudos for the comedy :)

MooPi
May 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I did 1 clean install, 1 update from beta 2 and 1 update from beta 1. Then 2 clean installs to upgrade to Maverick, I still have the Lucid installs to fall back on if Maverick breaks for some reason. My netbook is waiting for Unity upgrades.
Livin' on the edge are you ? :) Dammmn. I want you to test my super cold fusion desktop reactor please.

bigseb
May 26th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I haven't... yet. Just gonna observe it a while longer and see what happens.

libssd
May 26th, 2010, 02:31 PM
When I saw "LTS" I thought I would give 10.04 a try, and do a test install to an 8gb SD memory card. Total disaster, as neither the SD nor the HDD would boot after the upgrade (normally, I remove the HDD as a precaution, but this time I was complacent).

On the plus side, I learned a lot by reinstalling both Windows and 9.04, and now have multiple system restores on DVDs and a USB memory stick, made using Remastersys.

Absolutely everything that I use works perfectly with 9.04, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Vege 4wd
May 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Made the move to Lucid as soon as it came out. First time in Linux. Took a bit of tweaking but find it much better than my Vista o/s. Windows has already gone and I am not going back.

Roasted
May 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM

I have two Ubuntu computers.

1 I did a fresh install on, works great.

The other I did a fresh install on (laptop) with very minor issues.

For me, selecting multiple options makes sense since I brought my laptop back to 9.10 until further updates can come out with 10.04. So I would like to thank the OP for allowing multiple options to be selectable since not 1 single option applies to me.

Way to suck and screw the poll results up.

vacc73
May 26th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I upgraded three computers, one went off without a hitch, another I wound up re-installing clean because a couple of things went sour, and a clean install was best way around it. My main computer is great now that I was able to fix firefox, not that I need it, but it was working before so I want it to work now. I plan to stay with the LTS for a while:guitar:

Joeb454
May 26th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I upgraded from Alpha 6, ended up on a 32 bit system for a while for some reason I forget - probably only had a 32 bit copy lying around and needed to reinstall for my own random needs - and now have a cleanly installed 64 bit system up and running perfectly :)

deepclutch
May 27th, 2010, 04:29 AM
From the days of Jaunty(IIRC) ,I did Upgrades to newer releases.But ,this time ,I want to Free Ubuntu partition to install Debian Testing/Unstable.Just Did Lucid via Hard Disk ISO install using karmic's Grub2 to a new partition. :P

formaldehyde_spoon
May 27th, 2010, 05:16 AM
This poll doesn't add up to 100%...?

user1397
May 27th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Heck, Im already testing out 10.10

wojox@wojox-desktop:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu maverick (development branch)"
I voted wrong. I did a clean install.on a side note, a faster command for the same thing is $ lsb_release -a

Groodles
May 27th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I upgraded 2 and Clean installed on one.

Ubuntu Server - Originally installed Jaunty > Upgraded to Karmic > Upgraded to Lucid
Dual Boot Desktop machine - Orignally installed Karmic > Upgraded to Lucid

Dell Mini10v Netbook - Clean install of Lucid.

I had minor pain with the server but fixed it quite quickly (only been using Ubuntu 8 months). The other two have no issues.

immoweichert
May 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Two upgrades and one clean install. The whole family is happy with it !

infestor
May 27th, 2010, 01:55 PM
upgraded from beta...happy since then :)
much better than karmic koala

dizee
May 27th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Upgraded from 9.10 a few days ago. Went almost perfectly, just a small issue with a random screen flicker on some Intel graphics cards. Easy workaround for it though.

Very impressed with this release overall.