PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to get OpenOffice docs to open

Kirkland14
May 24th, 2010, 06:22 AM
So I'm a total noob at this stuff but have been learning pretty fast(I think anyway), but I have found when I use open office to do anything, other programs seem to have trouble reading them. Examples would be a OO word doc i tried to attach to my gmail and it said it wasn't compatible( or something like that), and when I was trying to upload a OO drawing to my blogger account it said corrupted or unsupported. I seem to notice this with other things as well. Am I just that far off I can't get this items opened or attached? What is it that I don't know? Also what about Itunes? I know Apple doesn't make a download for linux but there must be a way, right? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot

stinger30au
May 24th, 2010, 07:14 AM
open office saves data in the default of open office format

different to the .doc format that microsoft word uses

perhaps next time u save a document, click on save as and give it a file name

then there should be a box that lets you save the format as and try a word format .doc and see if ti makes any difference

vallvi
May 24th, 2010, 07:17 AM
You can tell Open Office to automatically save your documents in Microsoft (Word,. Excel, etc.) format. Under: Tools --> Options --> Load/Save --> General.

dtfinch
May 24th, 2010, 07:31 AM
A few times I've made the mistake of typing the extension I wanted instead of selecting it from the dropdown list of types, and OpenOffice doesn't recognize when that happens, saving in the wrong format for the extension given. So I'd type .xls and OpenOffice would save an opendocument spreadsheet file but with a .xls extension, which would continue to open fine in OpenOffice but fail to open elsewhere.

OooBuntuRox
May 24th, 2010, 07:41 AM
What the other members are saying is true about file types, etc. In addition, I have noticed cross platform issues between OO and MS office 2010 on win7. I like OO better, but I have experienced spell check problems and I have also lost formatting or had document formatting problems when switching back and forth between OO and MSO-2010 beta. I believe I was saving the files as fairly basic RTF files as well. So, I surprised to see any anomalies.

For now, I decided to stick with OO 3.2 I may get MSO 2010 when its released retail, but not if I must have an Internet connection to use it. I'm not so excited about the layout of MSO-2010 either.

Then I tried AbiWord in the ubuntu repository... seems kind of sluggish, perhaps buggy. OO wins again for me.

How I look at it: I can pay for the bugs or I can have free bugs using OO. The severity in each platform seems about the same. Minor to intermediate inconvenience. ...The free bugs seem more cost effective :wink:

OooBuntuRox :guitar:

lisati
May 24th, 2010, 07:42 AM
What about File->Save As????

Kirkland14
May 24th, 2010, 04:11 PM
WOW! thanks alot for all of everyones help. I was unaware that you could change the format like that in the save as sections as well as under tools. Being a noob is kinda fun sometimes when you learn something new. Really appreciate all the fast response. Thanks again

Kevin