PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Not Finding Hard Drives

Razorback
May 24th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Having a little problem with 10.04 installation. I have two hard drives installed on my PC. One that had Hardy Heron and one data. When the install program launches from a CD boot, it fails and drops me to a live session to check out the problem. I can see both drives and mount them but if I then launch the installer, it does not give either as an option for installation. Any insight would be much appreciated.

bckerr
May 24th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I have the same problem, I have the PC restart and have my Ubuntu CD in. It loads the first couple of screens asking the time and the keyboard layout. Then it goes to install I guess, but can't find my partitioned drive. It worked fine on the older Ubuntu.

What's with this crappy Linux so far?

darkod
May 24th, 2010, 11:12 AM
That usually happens if the disk has been used in raid and has metadata remains on it. Ubuntu doesn't show it in the installer, I guess to prevent overwriting the raid by error.

If you are not running raid, load live mode and in terminal do:

sudo dmraid -r -E /dev/sda (and for /dev/sdb too if needed)

That should ask you to confirm you want to remove the raid settings. After that it should be fine.

Razorback
May 24th, 2010, 03:26 PM
OK, I will give a try. I am not running a RAID setup nor has either disk been used in that fashion. Funny that both disks are being ignored.

dino99
May 24th, 2010, 03:52 PM
mini howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14