PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Great OS

wike1970
May 24th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Hi Everybody.

First I wish to say that I really love KUbuntu/Ubuntu. I bought a new computer and decide to use KUbuntu on it instead of Windows which I started to dislike. The new computer has only KUbuntu installed on it. And I think it is a great system. I have to say I feel that Windows has done what they can. And they should leave now. Because Windows can sometimes be very unstable and sometimes you a blue screen. Not only that to upgrade let say from Windows XP to Windows 7 cost a lot. It put you back about 137 US Dollars here in Sweden. To buy a OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit cost about 133 US Dollars. Why can't Microsoft do as Ubuntu do. Send it out to everybody for free. No Microsoft need the money to steal other OS system ideas. Because most of the thing in Windows are stolen. I don't care what Microsoft says. They have stolen many other OS ideas. That why I in my new computer use KUbuntu which is many times better then Windows is. One thing I seen is that I have never gotten a blue screen which Microsoft said should have been gone in Windows 7. But a friend of my told he has Windows 7 and have gotten a blue screen many times. Now to a question I have. I have a laptop which I would like to install Ubuntu on. But when I try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on it I get a very odd thing. The only thing I get is a screen which flashing with something one can't read. Then I get a black line from one side of to the other side of the screen. Should I use Netbook version instead of the normal version? My laptop is a ASUS X58C with a SiS Mirage 3 graphic card. And it has 2Gb memory where SiS Mirage 3 gets about 128Mb from. The harddrive is 160Gb. I would like to ask should buy a bigger harddrive? Or should I keep it as it is? Hope you can help with these question. And thank you for the best OS there is. Ubuntu/KUbuntu is the best OS there is on this planet.

Yours
wike1970:guitar:

Bucky Ball
May 24th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Try the alternate install cd, try Xubuntu, try NR. The alternate install sometimes gets past some of the problems because it is a text based installed rather than graphic and it sounds like you might have a graphics problem.

Maybe do a search on 'Kubuntu SiS Mirage 3 graphic card' and see if there are known issues.

RAM fine, HD fine. No need to spend money.

* Just one thing: the laptop is 64bit or 32? Make sure you are installing the correct one. ;)

bumanie
May 24th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Agree with Bucky Ball - likely a gpu issue - look for alernative gpu or try the alternate (text-based installer) - other specs are no problem at all.