PDA

View Full Version : What do you use Ubuntu for?

walkerchuckwalker
May 24th, 2010, 03:01 AM
What type of things do you find Ubuntu useful for? What is your favorite thing to do on it? What are some of your favorite programs? What are some of your favorite add-ons / graphical settings (themes)?

lisati
May 24th, 2010, 03:05 AM
One machine I use as Ubuntu for hosting a web site and an email server (see below). Other than that I do day-to-day stuff (surfing, email etc) on Ubuntu.

cgroza
May 24th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I Use it for EVERYTHING...

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I run a web server on one machine (see signature) and I do general tasks on my desktop machine.

uRock
May 24th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I use it for just about all of my PC needs. I surf, do email, watch vids,do online classes, use VBox to run other OSes neededs for online classes and for testing newer versions of ubuntu along with other flavors of Linux.

The only things I do on Windows are watching movies on Netflix, running Windows only software for school, and video chatting with family.

bigsmitty64
May 24th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Since 10.04, and the integration with the iPhone, I use it for everything.

qjmoss
May 24th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I use Ubuntu server for my archive server, and some other mass storage servers ;)

I don't use Desktop as much as I used to, but i can say, from experience that it gets the daily work done, and you can have fun doing it.

Jay Car
May 24th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I use it for everything, which includes ad layouts for print, illustrations and graphics for book publishing and such. Inkscape and Scribus are my main tools, both took a long time to learn after being a die-hard Adobe user for 15 years or so, but I now think they are absolutely awesome (I don't love the Gimp as much, but I'm warming up to it). I honestly can't think of anything that I can't do (or learn how to do) using my Ubuntu systems. \\:D/

wightghost
May 24th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Well, I dumped Windows XP when I installed 10.04, so now I use it for everything :)

Dn4mycrownj
May 24th, 2010, 07:14 AM
i keep it plain. some Internet, lots of transsmission. I use it to carry around .exe files of some bios flashes and many drivers for doing a clean install of xp. My family, well certain ones, has many problems with deleting and playing with files they shouldnt. This is the only OS i have on my laptop. I have win on a desktop because most of the kids games will only play on the corporate azzez that thing they rule everything OS.

chessnerd
May 24th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I use it to improve productivity. Ubuntu is better than Windows for productivity because:

1. It offers the potent mix of a powerful command-line with a nice GUI.
2. It boots up about 2-3x faster than Windows (and shuts down about 5x faster).
3. It offers multiple workspaces if I ever need to do serious multi-tasking.