PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't run Install CD, problems installing 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)

foreverNewbie
May 24th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Hello,

I am a newbie and decided to try out Ubuntu instead of automatically getting the next Windows OS.

I have a Dell Dimension E310 with on board video card (will be relevant soon, I think).

After trying making my own CD and not being able to at least run the LiveCD (thought it was my fault even thought the MD5 #'s matched correctly), I went to Shipit and got a CD delivered of Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid). When I put the CD into my computer while running windows, the CD is not recognized, which seems strange to me. When I put the same CD into my work laptop (note that both computers are running XP), I can see the contents of the CD. Decide that it might not be an issue and restart the computer in the hope of booting from the CD. CD is never recognized and looking at the bootmenu, it has USB-cdRom at the top of the list.

More information:
CPU is an Intel Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz. I don't believe it is a 64bit computer but I can't verify that. I mention this because I believe the CD I got is the 32bit version and that it should be sufficient but I figured I'd throw it out there in case someone else knew something.

Not sure what other information might be necessary but feel free to ask questions to get more info.

davidmohammed
May 24th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Given that you say you cannot see the CD under windows but can see it on another computer then at a guess, your CD-Drive is at fault - not the live CD. Does you CD drive work with any other type of CD when running under windows?

Run a drive cleaner through it and try and read it again under windows.

foreverNewbie
May 25th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I'm not sure what I did but the CD is now recognized. I put another CD in there and that was identified. So I put the Lucid CD back in and it could be read.

Now I have other problems but i'll end this thread.

Thanks davidmohammed!:)