PDA

View Full Version : Strange tech support call

2cute4u
May 24th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I was having trouble with my internet connection, so I called my internet provider. The tech support agent said a bunch of really strange things that made me think he didn't know anytihng about computers.

me: my internet connection is down.

agent: go to internet explorer

me: I can't explore the internet, my connection is down.

agent: ok let me walk you through it. go to start.

me: start what?

agent: click on the where it says start on the bottom of your screen

me: I don't have anything like that

agent: I'm talking about the main windows menu

me: well I have alot of windows, which one do you mean?

agent: do you have xp, vista or 7?

me: huh?

agent: ugh! just tell me why you think your internet is down.

me: well I tried a traceroute on the the IP of the DNS server, and it timed out after the first hop to my router, so I SSH'd into my router, and could ping back to my NIC, but when I tried to ping the the DNS server, it timed out.

agent: I'll send out a technician, will tomarrow between 4and 7 work for you?

TwoEars
May 24th, 2010, 01:30 AM
No, he acted in the correct way, you however acted in the "stupid" way which is normally made fun of. I thought this thread was made at pointing fun at you, not him.

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 01:33 AM
No, he acted in the correct way, you however acted in the "stupid" way which is normally made fun of. I thought this thread was made at pointing fun at you, not him.

It's an old computer joke. :P

lisati
May 24th, 2010, 01:33 AM
It might have been slightly smarter to say something like "Do you mean the 'Applications' menu?" when the tech guy started talking about the start menu.

NMFTM
May 24th, 2010, 01:58 AM
me: well I tried a traceroute on the the IP of the DNS server, and it timed out after the first hop to my router, so I SSH'd into my router, and could ping back to my NIC, but when I tried to ping the the DNS server, it timed out.
You SSH'd into your router? I'm guessing your using an actual computer instead of a standalone Linksys type box.

CharlesA
May 24th, 2010, 01:59 AM
You SSH'd into your router? I'm guessing your using an actual computer instead of a standalone Linksys type box.

I suppose it was either a standalone box or one of those cheapo routers flashed with a 3rd party firmware.

Either way it's old news. "ZzZzZ."

pwnst*r
May 24th, 2010, 02:10 AM
It's an old computer joke. :P

If so, there's no trace of the funneh.

cprofitt
May 24th, 2010, 02:29 AM
#-o

and that... is all I can add.

2cute4u
May 24th, 2010, 02:57 AM

I actually telneted into the box, I said SSH out of habit. :P

CharlesA
May 24th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I actually telneted into the box, I said SSH out of habit. :P

But SSH is more secure! :)

2cute4u
May 24th, 2010, 09:13 AM
It might have been slightly smarter to say something like "Do you mean the 'Applications' menu?" when the tech guy started talking about the start menu.

Is that what he was talking about? If he meant the Applications menu, he should have said that.

Dayofswords
May 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM
agent: Do you have xp, vista or 7?

Me: Huh?

Agent: Ugh! Just tell me why you think your internet is down.

Me: Well i tried a traceroute on the the ip of the dns server, and it timed out after the first hop to my router, so i ssh'd into my router, and could ping back to my nic, but when i tried to ping the the dns server, it timed out.

Agent: I'll send out a technician, will tomarrow between 4and 7 work for you?

cant....breathe!! Lololol

Grenage
May 24th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Silly technician, assuming you were using the same OS at 95% of the world. Weren't you just being awkward?

2cute4u
May 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Silly technician, assuming you were using the same OS at 95% of the world. Weren't you just being awkward?

Yes it is pretty silly. Having a tech support agent talking about some ohter OS that I know almost nothing about, and expecting me to know what he's saying, is pretty awkward. A tech suppport Agent is supposed to know that not everyone uses whatever OS he's using. suppose the roles were revered and I told him at the prompt "type ifconconfig and tell me what it says after inet addr" For all I know his OS may not even use ifconfig.

Grenage
May 24th, 2010, 09:43 AM
If you're saying you don't know what a "start" button is, I don't believe you.

Henry Flower
May 24th, 2010, 09:44 AM
OP is why we have an ignore list.

lisati
May 24th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Oh. OP uses a ..... :)

Eisenwinter
May 24th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Well this thread certainly backfired.

How does it feel, OP?

KiwiNZ
May 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM