PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can you recommend any FLOSS Monthy Budget Planners for Lucid?

mikodo
May 23rd, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hello everyone,

I want to start budgeting our family's income and expenses; something we have never done **sigh**. So we will need something easy and straight forward to start with. We would like to do it at monthly intervals, so as to learn what and how much to budget for expenses. We would prefer FLOSS, but I guess, if something really stands out by others' opinions, and is not free, we could look at that also. For now I am aware of gnucash and homebank, but have not tried them. as of yet. Though the only OS we use is Ubuntu Lucid, we could, I suppose, use Vbox and a copy of Windows 7 as a guest vm, if something really shines in that environment, that people can give excellent reviews of.

We are a single income family of my wife and I, as our kids are grown up. No businesses, just a paycheck, with household, cars and other living expenses. Something simple, that would fit our family's budgeting needs, would be ideal.

Thank you, for any and all insights/experiences, you share.

Mike

YuiDaoren
May 23rd, 2010, 11:26 PM
HomeBank and Eqonomize! are worth a look (both in the repositories).

mikodo
May 24th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Thanks, by searching on google for Eqonomize, I also found this page on Ubuntu Finance https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuFinance It gives lots of apps to try and talks also of Eqonomize. Lots for us to try.

Mike

mikodo
May 24th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Just another "Thank you". I've installed both HomeBank and Eqonomizer. So far, Eqonomizer appears to have the simpleness that I was looking for. For beginners, this appears to be the simpler of the two, one that can probably be the easiest to be functional for us, and get us started on budgeting. It does appear to be geared towards the "household" as it claims to be, and there is not too much, if any, advanced accounting.

So, we will start with Eqonomizer.

Mike