PDA

View Full Version : Steam on Linux! Support now!!!

niclaso
May 23rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
I have made a Facebook group, to show Valve that many Linux users will support their release of Steam to Linux.

Please Join! :lolflag:
Link (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119036318137071&v=info&ref=ts)

hikaricore
May 23rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Valve doesn't care about petitions or facebook groups.
Did you really create an account here just to post this?

ELD
May 23rd, 2010, 11:29 PM
Valve doesn't care about petitions or facebook groups.
Did you really create an account here just to post this?

I'm glad someone else posted this.

How many times do we have to tell people online petitions for Linux support is wishfull thinking.

Also about the group, don't quote a Phoronix article as "Confirmation", Valve has confirmed jack.

Grishka
May 23rd, 2010, 11:54 PM
I couldn't care less about Steam, I'm not gonna use it anyway, and I'm certainly not going to beg Valve to port their software to Linux. this is their business plan, and theirs alone. they'll do it anyway if they think they'll profit from expanding their market in this direction, and no amount of petitions, or lack thereof, is gonna change anything in this regard.

MindFusion
May 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Hey, give the man at least some credit for being enthusiastic and positive about Linux, don't blow his head off just now...

ELD
May 24th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hey, give the man at least some credit for being enthusiastic and positive about Linux, don't blow his head off just now...

People need to learn these things.

I dare anyone to point me to one petition that has ever worked for Linux gaming. Point made.

hikaricore
May 24th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I'm actually considering compiling a list of every fail petition on the topic simply to add insult to injury.

ELD
May 24th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm actually considering compiling a list of every fail petition on the topic simply to add insult to injury.

We should make a master list and post it every time someone says "give it a chance" or "be nice" about the issue.

MindFusion
May 24th, 2010, 12:00 PM
At least we can keep dreaming and hoping. <snip> Because believing in something can sometimes give you the strength to push on and inspire others, even if the situation is called impossible by sceptics.

Okay, yes, you are completely right about everything of these petitions and more, in fact, you are so right you emit radial righteousness when walking into a room. You are so right, however, knowing something about being sociable and nice, you do not now jack.

ELD
May 24th, 2010, 12:02 PM
At least we can keep dreaming and hoping. <snip> Because believing in something can sometimes give you the strength to push on and inspire others, even if the situation is called impossible by sceptics.

Okay, yes, you are completely right about everything of these petitions and more, in fact, you are so right you emit radial righteousness when walking into a room. You are so right, however, knowing something about being sociable and nice, you do not now jack.

Thanks for the chuckle comparing all of this to Religion.

I have not once stepped out of line nor called anyone anything, you are the one being rude and seem to need the lesson not me mate, i am simply pointing out facts as are the others. Trying to help people not waste their time and effort in something that has PROVEN to be fruitless.

We are trying to help in our own way - you are not, you are simply arguing.

Seems you have just blown this way out of proportion and dragged me into it now too :\

u235sentinel
May 24th, 2010, 03:16 PM

I dare anyone to point me to one petition that has ever worked for Linux gaming. Point made.

Not sure I care one way or the other. If they build it I will come.

And this elite attitude is why many people don't come on over to the light. They don't like the bad attitudes.

As a community we need to ease up. People are getting excited about Linux.

Let them.

ELD
May 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I do not have an "elite attitude" as i keep says i am just pointing out a fact, if it did work i would also be singing it's praises. But it has been proven time and time and time again to do nothing. You know as well as i do that is a fact.

Modplanman
May 24th, 2010, 03:23 PM

Don't crap on people who are just trying to find various ways to make it clear they will/would support a Linux client. You may not believe it or be sceptical, but don't keep telling other people they shouldn't do anything at all.

People need to learn these things

ELD
May 24th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Don't crap on people who are just trying to find various ways to make it clear they will/would support a Linux client. You may not believe it or be sceptical, but don't keep telling other people they shouldn't do anything at all.

People need to learn these things

I never said not to do anything at all, i am just yet AGAIN pointing out a FACT, it does nothing and i can see that a few of you won't list and that is fine after all we are all here because we like a choice, i chose to try and help people not waste their time.

But i am unsubscribing from this thread as i have said what i wanted to and it is apparently falling on deaf ears so to speak.

Modplanman
May 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I never said not to do anything at all, i am just yet AGAIN pointing out a FACT, it does nothing and i can see that a few of you won't list and that is fine after all we are all here because we like a choice, i chose to try and help people not waste their time.

But i am unsubscribing from this thread as i have said what i wanted to and it is apparently falling on deaf ears so to speak.

You are not pointing out anything anyone didn't already know. People have their own choice, and decide to do something they feel is worth it as a means to indicate a Steam Linux would be supported if/when Valve port it, in the same way there are the 2 threads on the Steam forums (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173683 & http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158103) and a Linux steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steam-linux).

It's just one out of numerous means to at least do something to indicate to Valve there is definitely ongoing interest. To state that it does nothing is not a statement of fact, it's pessimism and generally crapping on people trying to do something pro active.

If you're sceptical, fine, but it's not fact at all. If you don't believe it'll work then there's little point posting here in the first place.

VastOne
May 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Not sure I care one way or the other. If they build it I will come.

And this elite attitude is why many people don't come on over to the light. They don't like the bad attitudes.

As a community we need to ease up. People are getting excited about Linux.

Let them.

I was just about to post this same thought. I read all through this and came to the exact conclusion.

The reference to Christianity was a good one as well. If believing in a distant star makes a person a better person, so be it. Why ppl are so quick to judge is beyond my reasoning. But I do get concerned at how many ppl are chastised in this community for being enthusiastic or a newb or having any kind of an opinion.

I am as jaded as the next long time user, but I do like to see the glass as half full....

u235sentinel
May 24th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I do not have an "elite attitude" as i keep says i am just pointing out a fact, if it did work i would also be singing it's praises. But it has been proven time and time and time again to do nothing. You know as well as i do that is a fact.

I think that pretty much answers it in those two posts. And I've gone as far in this conversation as I'm willing with ELD

And FYI, if they build it I will come.

Nuff said.

Grishka
May 24th, 2010, 06:01 PM
<SNIP>The reference to Christianity was a good one as well. If believing in a distant star makes a person a better person, so be it.<SNIP>

the reference to Christianity was an extremely bad comparison, as well as a direct breach of the rules of conduct. section III paragraph 8:

Religion/Politics threads:
Conversations about religion are disallowed at all times, as are all political discussions that are not directly related to free and open source software concerns.

everyone is certainly free to express their enthusiasm and naiveté. but everyone is also free to express doubts stemming from their long-term experiences with greedy companies.

ELD
May 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM
the reference to Christianity was an extremely bad comparison, as well as a direct breach of the rules of conduct. section III paragraph 8:

everyone is certainly free to express their enthusiasm and naiveté. but everyone is also free to express doubts stemming from their long-term experiences with greedy companies.

Thank you, someone with a bit of sense who doesn't sound as harsh as me. Take notes people (myself included). I have been here since 2005, i've seen too many petitions come and go and do nothing, i've never seen them do anything. I am not trying to be rude or elitist although it seems i come off as that. I am simply trying to help in my own way, i don't like people getting their hopes up over nothing.

I would love for it to come to Linux but it seems we are playing a waiting game between Phoronix articles and Valve being silent.

Elfy
May 24th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Religion is for other places - some posts edited.

urbanus
May 24th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I love how much energy and passion goes into these discussions ;-)

Could even make a Mac fanboy blush :-P

VastOne
May 24th, 2010, 07:05 PM

I absolutely agree. I am a community that is looking to embrace all, regardless....

Elfy
May 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Keep this on-topic please.

Offtopic posts jailed this time.

MindFusion
May 24th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Then... shouldn't you delete nearly all the posts? The original topic was to encourage users to support a Facebook-group that would give a message to Valve, but that is not what we've been talking about the last 20 posts.

ELD
May 24th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Then... shouldn't you delete nearly all the posts? The original topic was to encourage users to support a Facebook-group that would give a message to Valve, but that is not what we've been talking about the last 20 posts.

I think he means me and you bitching at eachother lol :)

I love how much energy and passion goes into these discussions ;-)

Could even make a Mac fanboy blush :-P

It's why i love the forums! I even wrote an article about it on GamingOnLinux heh (where i will feel free to express my opinion :P). Let's cool it down folks we are all here for the same reason.

I am just saying that so far, as of yet i haven't seen a petition do anything, but by all means go ahead, sign it and support Linux. I support it in my own way -> My website, getting games known, providing news etc.

Best of luck with the petition...but most of all, i hope Valve make a bloody announcement soon.

Elfy
May 24th, 2010, 07:40 PM
moved to the cafe

Minipalmer
May 24th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I have no idea why I'm posting in this thread, but I'm going to defend OP.

There's pretty condescending attitude in here towards him, and I think we all know that Linux would not be where it is now if it weren't for the undying enthusiasm of its users.

Edit: Also! Back on topic, I would love to see Steam on Linux! Not that my laptop can run most Steam games, but one day... one day ;)

PuddingKnife
May 24th, 2010, 08:36 PM
You knnnoowwwwww...

Having a Facebook page/petition DID succeed in getting Betty White on to SNL..

VastOne
May 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM
You knnnoowwwwww...

SO perfectly well said....

bondo101
May 24th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Comon Everyone rally for linux even if you have issues with it its not all bad , remember old windows from the past blue screens of death all the time. not enough memory to run programs , crossed files. if you take the time i think most of your problems will be solved. 10.04 is a bear right now but we will figure it out . C'mon aren't tired of the windows bloat eating up all your memory and can only access aprox 1.5 to 2.0 gigs. on a 32 bit machine. i didn't think i would ever be away from windows but it looks like the time has come to say adios to bloated windows. lean green fast fighting machine with linux.
thankyou bondo101:guitar::popcorn:

u235sentinel
May 24th, 2010, 09:02 PM
You knnnoowwwwww...

Not to mention how would valve know there was an interest if the community didn't tell them?

I think that's the whole point of doing stuff like this. Sure it might not have made a difference in things many of us are interested in, but it does give Valve some idea of the interest.

If it doesn't work then fine and who cares. Crossover games works just fine for me thanks!

hikaricore
May 24th, 2010, 10:02 PM
OP has not bothered posting once after starting this thread, further validating my opinion that he created the account simply to post one thing here.

Nickedynick
May 24th, 2010, 10:19 PM
To be fair, he may be a Fedora user that is trying to get support for Steam on Linux by going to other distros' forums. Although with only 37 members, the group is hardly indicative of this sort of effort...

chrisfu
May 26th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I can assure you all, Steam for Linux is on it's way. It's not difficult to obtain an early build of Steam for Linux from Valve's own publicly accessible servers. It's difficult to get it booting into a UI, and nothing yet runs, but it's definitely being worked on as new updates are appearing every few days. Sure, there has been no confirmation from Valve as of yet, but if it's there and being updated, you can be safe in assuming that it'll be out in a few months. Perhaps before the end of the summer, if we're lucky.

With all the hard work Valve have put into porting the Source engine to OpenGL (which is now more than suitable for running Source, which it wasn't back at the time of release), and considering the similarities of OSX/Darwin to GNU Linux, why *wouldn't* they put in the small amount of work into opening the doors to the platform to tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of potential customers?

Once Valve can demonstrate that it's worth the investment to port games from DX to OGL to other developers by launching Steam for Linux, you can be sure to see many more of your favourite games being made available for you. :)

ZarathustraDK
May 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Online petitions rarely accomplish anything. There seems to be an exception for Facebook groups though. There's always at least one article about some new facebook-group in our free newspapers everyday where I live, usually about societal issues, politics or TV-license. It also helps that FB is a hot topic to the unwashed masses, and there's a lot of buzz about whether it should be allowed at work and so on.

I think the notion goes that FB-petitions are more credible as people use their FB-profile as a kind of digital signature of the petitioners existence. The other online petitions can usually be filled out by using bogus-information.

jrusso2
May 26th, 2010, 04:53 PM
What happened last weeks post said steam on linux was a done deal?

Roasted
May 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Ah, so I guess any innovative thing out there in the world we should just give up on since things will never pan out well for us "just because" Linux hasn't always been at the top of certain developer's lists.

No. That's ****ing ********. Linux is growing in popularity, and more and more I'm seeing software available on all 3 platforms (Win Mac Linux) than what I've seen before.

I HIGHLY, HIGHLY support Steam coming to Linux and I hope it comes to Linux. There have been several tests done on Mac systems and Linux systems a few months/year ago that confirmed they are very worthy gaming platforms. The missing piece of the puzzle is the games themselves.

So let's have a little optimism regarding the topic. This could really bring some incredible things to our beloved Linux platform instead of sitting around uninterested in positive change that's capable of happening because we're too damn lazy to care due to a couple failed support petitions in the past.

exkend
May 26th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Very well made point. Where's the harm in being a little optimistic? (famous last words?)

Druke
May 31st, 2010, 09:48 PM

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/extrapolating.png

talking to a baby:

*baby struggles to try and walk.... stumbles*
Older person says to "Baby... why do you even try to walk... how many times have you tried? How many times has it worked? You should find oher things to waste your time on... like crying"

talking to BP
Some guy: "You know BP... how many times have you tried to plug that leak... has it worked? You're never going to succeed, why don't you just give up and call it a day"

Talking to Roger Bannister (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Bannister):
Some guy: "Roger... you can't run that mile in less that four minutes.. it just impossible, no one has done it no one ever will."

I can go on...

fontis
June 17th, 2010, 12:53 AM
What's up with the pessimism?

You realize that once upon a time, Mark Shuttleworth himself was swimming upstreams in a waterfall. Not too many people embraced his vision, and look at him and things now?

As he so famously said in an early interview; "I consider myself as the first pitcher throwing a small snowball, with the rest making it an avalanche."

As others have pointed out, the missing piece for many users lie within the games. Once you get popular titles hitting this platform too then the gap between the OS's will decrease for sure. I know tons of people out there who are still sticking with Windows simply because their favorite games wont run in linux. And not to forget, the die hard people in here who desperately try all means necessary to get their games working via wine or dualboots.

The more the word of free software and linux spreads, the better the PR.

Steam on Linux!:guitar:

forrestcupp
June 17th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I don't get all of these Steam on Linux threads. What is the use of porting a download manager to Linux if the Source engine that runs all of their games still doesn't work with Linux?

Steam is nothing more than a glorified download manager. It is not what runs the games. ;)

You need to be trying to get the Source engine ported to Linux. If they do that, they'll have to also port the delivery platform.

Shining Arcanine
June 17th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I have made a Facebook group, to show Valve that many Linux users will support their release of Steam to Linux.

Please Join! :lolflag:
Link (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119036318137071&v=info&ref=ts)

That could make Valve think doing this would be a bad idea.

fidof650
October 21st, 2010, 02:03 PM
OP has not bothered posting once after starting this thread, further validating my opinion that he created the account simply to post one thing here.

Can you blame him?
Have you even read the response he got.

I came across this post because I was thinking of setting up a Ubuntu rig and wanted to know if any progress had been made in playing CS:S via Steam on Ubuntu.

Having read the responses he got I couldn't fathom how I would be treated if I asked a n00b question. Crucifixion perhaps?

You people are unbelievable.

If you're the face of Ubuntu/Linux, it has no hope.

Stating "facts" does not excuse anyone from social graces.

Your, past failures do not make it ok to rain on someone else's parade.

I'm stunned by the collective stupidity your community has demonstrated in this thread.

No wonder you can't reach the masses and command a respectable market share.

Who could speak with you without wanting to slit there wrists after 5 minutes.

You can't get past your own martyrdom.

I've learned one thing for sure: Linux is fine... it's its champions who can't compete.

I'll check back in another few years. With any luck this community will have evolved to a state of basic decency.

Just Pathetic

//end rant

limestone
October 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Rumors this summer announced that Valve started a Linux based platform of steam that should be released. But they canceled it for the near future.
Possible it will be done later on.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/valve-steam-linux-half-life,news-7838.html

But then again, you can never be sure. http://www.techspot.com/news/40043-valve-steam-for-linux-isnt-being-developed.html