PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen flashing every 1/2 second after selecting "Extra" graphics

butterflypoo
May 23rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Help! I am new to Ubuntu and Linux (2-ish weeks) and looked up my issue on the net but don't understand the solutions or even know if it is the same problem as mine. For the first 2 weeks that I had Ubuntu, it was set to default "simple" graphics, under System, but yesterday I was bored and set it to "Extra", which is the most fancy it can get. It was ok at first but when I shut it down and restarted, the screen was flashing every 1/2 second. Due to the flashing, I couldn't do anything but login and shut it off. I couldn't even access the "System" tab to undo what I think caused the problem.

I tried running it on Recovery and set it to "Failsafe graphics", which worked but I don't know how to undo what I did, without running it on recovery. Help! I miss my computer dearly!!

Also, I am not computer savvy so PLEASE explain the solution in teeny-tiny baby steps. In English and great detail.

Thank you!! :)

mbzn
May 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Right click on an open space on the desktop and select change desktop background. At the to you'll see (what is called) tabs, the last one is visual effects. Select that and then none.

Hope this'll get you going again...