PDA

View Full Version : So i was thinking

jc87
March 23rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
As you may be aware , there are several distros based on Debian besides Ubuntu , and distros based in other distros based on Debian such as Mepis (now based on Ubuntu) , Kurumin (based on Knoppix) , etc ... and many of them have similar philosophies of the Gnu/Linux for human beings.

What would happen if Ubuntu and other "long lost debian brothers" started joining forces to make a single [but with variations like (F)(X)(K)Ubuntu} extra stable and powerful distro? since they are all debian based the work of transition would be small , there would be more developers squeezing bugs , testing different hardware compatibilities , more complete language packs , an even bigger community writing howto´s , making extra tools , beta-testing the latest releases , etc... would not that be great?

I know is nice to have a different distro for every purpose , but since many of this distros aim at the same kind of purposes the lost would be none , and we would have the good stuff of several diferent distros in only one.

Now i would like to know your opinions (in spite off i personnally doubt my idea will ever happen).

Alpha_toxic
March 23rd, 2006, 05:01 PM
I think that if all Debian-based distros join forces together, they will make sth like, well... Debian...

Brunellus
March 23rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
The Debian daughters could all come home and make one all-powerful, world-destroying distro, freeing Cthulu from his slumber on R'lyeh.

But they're not likely to do that. From the little that I see, Debian and the Debian daughters are rather like a large, semidysfunctional family. Many kids are estranged from their parent, some kids are estranged from each other.

In situations like this, when the whole family gets together (weddings and funerals), the result is either careful toleration at best or an ugly fight at worst. At the end of the day, the various mutally-estranged family members go their separate ways, make their own families, and live their own lives.

KingBahamut
March 23rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
More like awakening the Tarrasque , Cthulu is intelligent, the Tarrasque just instinctively devours anything in front of it, and it takes a miracle or wish to make it go away.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm_gallery/Tarrasque.jpg

IYY
March 23rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
I always thought Tarrasques were bigger.

nalmeth
March 23rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
I like the idea of competeing debians. Keep stirring the pot.