PDA

View Full Version : I/O Error On Boot from CD

Lolpanda
May 23rd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hey guys, For the longest time I've used 32-Bit Linux OS's. Keep it simple and make sure everything works. Recently I've felt like switching over to 64-bit. I know my CPU supports 64 bit because I have windows 7 (64) installed and it works flawlessly.

My issue is after downloading and burning the 9.10 amd64 ISO, when I hit "Install Ubuntu" I get "I/O Error Reading Boot CD" and the error code "R42AAEF" at the top left and top-middle of my screen.

I know the CD is fine because just a few days ago I used the same CD to install 9.10 32-bit on a friend's laptop and he's had no issues.

MD5sum and "Verify Local Data" Through BitTorrent both came back to be 100% stable and authentic.

If anyone has any more ideas I'd love to hear them, if it matters, my CPU is an AMD Athlon II x4

dino99
May 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
wow, you are the only one with this error known on google, you are the winner :P

mini howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14

check your bios settings and try with ahci. if it fail, try to boot with acpi=off, or lapic=off, noacpi, nomodeset=0

cybrsaylr
May 23rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
I just installed 32 bit Lucid on an old PC and got several I/O errors that stopped the install several times. I used the Live-CD mailed me by the Ubuntu mail service! After checking what the I/O errors suggested and not finding any fault, I just pushed it on through and after several attempts 32 bit Lucid installed and appears to be running very well. This is the first time experiencing these I/O errors.

When I installed 64 bit Lucid on my laptop, the install was smooth and flawless with the 64 bit Live-CD I had created. This install complete with LL updates took ~30 minutes on this newer laptop.

Don't know why there were so many problems installing the 32 bit version of Lucid on my other older PC.

dino99
May 23rd, 2010, 05:40 PM
the "32" kernel coming with lucid has many issues, so if you cant find a workaround, install karmic then dist-upgrade and install kernel 33 with this link: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/

Lolpanda
May 23rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
wow, you are the only one with this error known on google, you are the winner :P

mini howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14

check your bios settings and try with ahci. if it fail, try to boot with acpi=off, or lapic=off, noacpi, nomodeset=0

Thanks for the quick reply Dino. I'll give it a shot when I get back home. Just out of curiousity can you explain what those boot options do. For future referrence.

PS: yeah I know, I was shocked when it came back with zero results to that error code. Hence why I came here haha

edit: I went into bios, browsed through all the menus and couldn't find any referrence to the advanced hist controller. Again, if it matters: 1TB Sata HDD.

Lolpanda
May 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Well whatever was the issue, its gone now. I used Unetbootin to burn the AMD64 iso to a spare flash drive and installed from there -- no issues, no problems.