PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 "Installer encountered an unrecoverable error"

JaJaBinks
May 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
Sorry folks. Ive been reading a lot of threads re installing 10.04 but cant find and answer to this one.

I was intending to do a clean install of 10.04
I have downloaded and burned desktop-i386.iso
After booting from CD and selecting install from the menu, I get the splash screen for a few minutes, then black screen, then purple ubuntu screen, then the error message "the installer has encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run etc.....".

I am thinking this may be related to ACPI, because when i 'Try Ubuntu without installing' it loads ok but I get a 'Crash Report' notification on the panel.

If again 'Try Ubuntu without installing' with F6 option "ACPI=Off" it loads up with no problem.

Another thing I noticed is that when I load with ACPI=OFF, my external drives automount, but if i dont turn ACPI off, and get the Crash report notification the external drives do not automount.

would the crash report be logged anywhere ?

Would it be OK to run the install with ACPI=OFF

After reading many posts on installation problems, I am hesitant to go any further without some guidance.

Thanks in advance

dino99
May 23rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Sorry folks. Ive been reading a lot of threads re installing 10.04 but cant find and answer to this one.

I was intending to do a clean install of 10.04
I have downloaded and burned desktop-i386.iso
After booting from CD and selecting install from the menu, I get the splash screen for a few minutes, then black screen, then purple ubuntu screen, then the error message "the installer has encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run etc.....".

mini howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14

I am thinking this may be related to ACPI,(acpi is about powersaving) because when i 'Try Ubuntu without installing' it loads ok but I get a 'Crash Report' notification on the panel.

If again 'Try Ubuntu without installing' with F6 option "ACPI=Off" it loads up with no problem. (good news :P)

Another thing I noticed is that when I load with ACPI=OFF, my external drives automount, but if i dont turn ACPI off, and get the Crash report notification the external drives do not automount. not related

would the crash report be logged anywhere ? /var/crash

Would it be OK to run the install with ACPI=OFF no matter, better to load with nomodeset=0

After reading many posts on installation problems, I am hesitant to go any further without some guidance.

Thanks in advance

using the mini howto above might help

JaJaBinks
May 23rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks Dino99. That has given me some confort to progress further.

DrTaylor
April 5th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Any further fix to this?