PDA

View Full Version : No offense to all you Ubuntu fans out there

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
but I don't have any other way of going about this. No, I'm not trying to pull people away from Ubuntu. I'm hoping that part or all of my project's main focus will be able to merge with other distros such as Ubuntu.

So, without further ado . . .

(excerpt from a Yahoo post I made earlier)

Building my own linux distro and need a team?
I want to build my own linux distro and need a team to help me. I'm sort of new at the coding, designs, and everything else, meaning I have no coding skills.

- This distro DOES have a main point, which I have yet to find support for in any other distro.
- I CAN'T write a program to patch another distro, b/c I DON'T know any coding, and I believe it would go down into the CORE of the OS, which means I might as well write an new OS anyway.
- It's WILL be open sourced
- I'm hoping to offer support for DEB packages.
- I'm reading a Linux From Scratch book right now.
- I'm needing a name, Artwork, desktop design, translations, the works
- Because I've JUST STARTED the Linux From Scratch book, I don't know if it'll take years, months, or even decades for me to learn all this stuff LOL

** MY BASIC QUESTION IS, WHERE DO I FIND A TEAM TO WORK WITH ME?

Unfortunately, I can't share the main goal here. Although I don't know how to code it. It has to work a certain way.

Again, I want the OS to basically be a test OS, so that if the technology is good enough, other OSs will follow through with installing it!

John Bean
May 23rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Have I got this specification right?

1. I want to build a new distribution
2. I haven't a clue how to start
3. I have a reason for doing it but I'm not telling you what it is
4. I need a team to do all the work for me

Skilled programmers will be falling over each other in their efforts to beat a path to your door. Or perhaps not ;-)

joshedmonds
May 23rd, 2010, 11:20 AM
This distro DOES have a main point, which I have yet to find support for in any other distro.
It's been done. Whatever it is, someone else has thought of it. The best way to find out who thought of it, and why you haven't heard of it, is to ask everyone you know.

Unfortunately, I can't share the main goal here. Although I don't know how to code it. It has to work a certain way.
Which means this isn't going to get you what you want. If you have a great idea, you need to get others excited about it, that way they will want to give their valuable time to building it.

Because I've JUST STARTED the Linux From Scratch book, I don't know if it'll take years, months, or even decades for me to learn all this stuff LOL
What are you bringing to the project? Do you have skills in a field related to the goal? Do you have project management, user interface design and testing or some other relevant experience?

** MY BASIC QUESTION IS, WHERE DO I FIND A TEAM TO WORK WITH ME?
Let them find you.

Again, I want the OS to basically be a test OS, so that if the technology is good enough, other OSs will follow through with installing it!
If you are trying to change the OS paradigm, good luck. Iteration is the name of the game, whether you are changing the way we deal with information (log file systems), deal with each other (Gwibber), or just deal with computers (LHS window buttons). Unless your real name is Steve Jobs, changing ANYTHING will require a multi-year commitment, an idea so good that a significant number of people will want it, and an implementation so good people can use it.

Having said that, good luck. Try reddit/r/programming and other specific fora for each discipline you are looking for.

new_tolinux
May 23rd, 2010, 11:22 AM
Do I miss something, or do you really mean "I can't help, I won't pay anything, but I want someone else to write me a completely new OS for free which does everything exact the way I want"?

I really guess that unless you would become a coder yourself, you will get disapointed.
Only better coders can alter a program/OS exactly the way they want it. Trying to do that for someone else is impossible, as it's never going to have that intuitive way of using that one can only produce for him/herself.

Rasa1111
May 23rd, 2010, 11:27 AM
No offense to the OP~
But you should have just stopped @
" I DON'T know any coding"
lol :)

Rasa1111
May 23rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
Do I miss something, or do you really mean "I can't help, I won't pay anything, but I want someone else to write me a completely new OS for free which does everything exact the way I want"?

I really guess that unless you would become a coder yourself, you will get disapointed.
Only better coders can alter a program/OS exactly the way they want it. Trying to do that for someone else is impossible, as it's never going to have that intuitive way of using that one can only produce for him/herself.

nah, unless we both missed it. :lol:

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
LOL, I'm reading the book, I'm actually trying to learn the coding. and not I'm not wanting it built specifically for me. Although that would be cool, it wouldn't be what the project is about. The reason I can't share the way it works is because if it gets changed one little bit, before I write it down, I may forget it. I don't know why, but I have the intricate system all working together in my head, that I don't have any paper at the moment to copy down, and personally I don't want everyone throwing in this idea and that idea to mess with it, until I get the chance to write it down, and dissect it myself. So if we're gonna paraphrase, then we should at least get it right, it would be more like this.

"I have an idea.
I need someone's help.
I really want to see it work,
and I'll do anything to get it to work,
even read a really long (boring in some areas) book.
I said TEAM, which has no I,
therefore meaning everyone's ideas included."

The thing is, I love programming. From the first time I took up BASIC, I always had to know why and how everything worked. Which is my problem. If I get stuck on something. I DON'T GO ON! Unless I know exactly 100% how something works, I focus on it for days. I don't know the syntax for programming in any other language except BASIC and I don't think that an os of today's standards will actaully work in BASIC.

Elfy
May 23rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Moved to the cafe.

I have to wonder what it is you expect to get from people without actually telling anyone.

CharlesA
May 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
I would expect to get nothing without having a bit more detail as to what you want this "new" distro to do.

Elfy
May 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
... personally I don't want everyone throwing in this idea and that idea to mess with it...

Given that, then I think the best you do is write it down - putting a thread on a public forum is going to get you ideas whether you want them or not ;)

howefield
May 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
and I'll do anything to get it to work,
even read a really long (boring in some areas) book.

Wow. Such commitment is impressive.

Your project can only succeed, good luck.....

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Well, I'm wanting it to work on a computer grid, where resources are shared and like a mesh network, where new computers are instantly connected to each other. I have all these security protocals to prevent people from spying on each other's data in my head. and I don't even know how to put them into coding.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Oh and thanks Howefield

Rasa1111
May 23rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
well, Op
you said in your original post "I dont know how long it will take me~weeks, months years.."
but that you will do anything to learn...
you will probably be looking at years. So it is good you are committed.

also..through those years you will probably be reading allot more than just ONE reallly booooring book! lol

Good luck mate. :)
You will succeed .........

ohh, edit:..
If you dont have paper..
you can always open a text editor and type your ideas/thoughts..
or install a mindmapping software and map some of it out kind of visually.
I know mind maps help me on many projects where thoughts are coming faster than you can remember them. lol

There are some good ones for linux/ubuntu.

Random_Dude
May 23rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Unfortunately, I can't share the main goal here.

Besides the "I don't know ANYTHING about programming and I'm starting to read about linux" part, this is probably the worst sentence in your post.
How do you honestly expect people to take part in a project which they have no clue what is about?

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
It's a bit more complex than those two ideas, but they're the sum of them all. Or the entire OS is based entirely on the concepts. I know the OLPC's OSs do mostly this, but the way I see it, it is totally different.

CharlesA
May 23rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
Well, I'm wanting it to work on a computer grid, where resources are shared and like a mesh network, where new computers are instantly connected to each other. I have all these security protocals to prevent people from spying on each other's data in my head. and I don't even know how to put them into coding.

Sounds like you want to be using "dumb terminals" and have everything hosted on the server. Is that correct?

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
No, not exactly! More like an extremely encrypted yet open wifi expirience, where the user's network expirience (internet, file sharing, public access folders) are completely molded by the people around the user. A user can host files and even webpages to the users around him or her, without the need to know how to link their computers. One user can securely transfer information to another user through a chain of users in between.
Say two computers on the network have access to the internet. Now, all the internet load is carried between those two computers, yet, because of the encryption, they have no way of seeing any of it. Or someone wants to host a webpage to someone else, so this information hops through all the computers around it (securely) to the computer it's intended to be received by.

This is just the basis of my concept.

Which was partially inspired by the OLPC program, and the Grid computing concept, basically allowing the computers on the mesh network to share resources, such as RAM.

wojox
May 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
How much are you paying? If the price is right I maybe interested.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
Sounds like you want to be using "dumb terminals" and have everything hosted on the service. Is that correct?

Why doesn't he just create a program. Why does he need to create a whole new distro. There actually is too much distros out there, why not work on one of the bigger ones. Hell I've started learning python so that I can figure out ways on moving the average user away from the terminal to do more advanced tasks that a above average to L33t (why didn't you correct this in you spell checker firefox?!) user can do easily with the terminal and what not.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
No, not exactly! More like an extremely encrypted yet open wifi expirience, where the user's network expirience (internet, file sharing, public access folders) are completely molded by the people around the user. A user can host files and even webpages to the users around him or her, without the need to know how to link their computers. One user can securely transfer information to another user through a chain of users in between.
Say two computers on the network have access to the internet. Now, all the internet load is carried between those two computers, yet, because of the encryption, they have no way of seeing any of it. Or someone wants to host a webpage to someone else, so this information hops through all the computers around it (securely) to the computer it's intended to be received by.

I think you just described Ubuntu One

Also I'd like to point this out:
"an extremely encrypted yet open wifi expirience"
That's an oxymoron.

Actually it sounds more like you're describing networking your computers where they can share folders and stuff.

new_tolinux
May 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM

That's just a chain of multiple proxies communicating through https-alike protocols. Although I absolutely don't have a clue how to set it up, I guess it can be done and I will find the answer to it with some search-engine if I want.

The idea of sending it through multiple computers using (the same) wireless connection over and over... to me that seems just needlessly trying to jam that connection.
If there are only 2 computers connected to the internet, all the internet traffic should go only to one of those 2 computers. Not through 20 other computers before it finally reaches the proxy.

Edit: besides that, even if computer #1 can't directly connect to one of the 2 proxies, it's not something I think you would want. Have a guess what's happening if you'll get 20/20 users using torrents etc. on 2 internet-connections. It wil defenitly block about all the browsing-options for all other users because the torrents are taking the full line.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately, b/c it's a TEAM effort, it's going to have to run on donations. and the reason I'm creating a new Distro, is because to share some of these resources, you would have to rewrite the core of the distro itself and I don't really think a program should do that.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately, b/c it's a TEAM effort, it's going to have to run on donations. and the reason I'm creating a new Distro, is because to share some of these resources, you would have to rewrite the core of the distro itself and I don't really think a program should do that.

You're asking for donations and yet you've admitted that you pretty much can't bring anything to the table except for "I'm trying".

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
I'm not talking about using the same connection. I'm talking about if everyone in your neighborhood had a dialup internet connection, you could actually pull the resources together to meet or exceed that of DSL, it's called grid computing, one computer in the mesh network would route all the pulled resources.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
And hey, I brought the idea to the table. I'm just asking that people help me work on it. As I recall, the constitution of the USA was an idea brought to the table, and presented by someone totally different. If we refused ideas, simply for the sake of them being ideas, where would we be today?

Elfy
May 23rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
As I recall, the constitution of the USA was an idea brought to the tableLet's not be going there please.

new_tolinux
May 23rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
I'm not talking about using the same connection. I'm talking about if everyone in your neighborhood had a dialup internet connection, you could actually pull the resources together to meet or exceed that of DSL, it's called grid computing, one computer in the mesh network would route all the pulled resources.
If you had a dial-up connection you probably don't want it to be connected if you don't need the connection because of line rates.
If you get 20 computers on 20 lines, you would have a problem with certain websites which store your IP in a cookie or on the server. If the main page is loaded through connection A and the second through connection B, you might find yourself logged off that page.

Not to mention what's going to happen if more than one person tries to use the "full" combined connection at the same time. It can mock up the capability for other users completely.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Well, we could go somewhere else, anywhere else. It all started as a simple idea (not trying to be rude)

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 12:23 PM

So...torrents?
Honestly you keep describing different things, and its already been thought of an put through development.

Oh and grid computer requires an entire network renovation. Which is what I believe google is working on if I'm not mistaken. I remember it being talked about years ago and they decided on laying down fiber optic cables everywhere which is what they're doing now I believe. For some reason I remember there having something to do with using a particle accelerator.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Then I question how Tor works, and how I can logon to a website from the public library and still be logged on, from my home connection when I bring my laptop home.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:28 PM
I'm talking griding through the WIFI and the particle accel is for research and I believe all the information on that research is sent to a uni on a 6TB connection, if I remember correctly, b/c the machine actually generates that much information, or close to it, haven't read about it in 2 yrs, so don't really remember.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
Then I question how Tor works, and how I can logon to a website from the public library and still be logged on, from my home connection when I bring my laptop home.

I need sleep. I just don't know what this guy wants. One minute he's describing networking, and file sharing then grid computing. Then merging internet connections. So what you don't like Ubuntu because it can't perform a task that you're not even sure on what you want it to do?

I'd like Ubuntu to make my laptop contact a flying unicorn and deliver me a sandwich, but unless someone develops a new distro for that then I don't see it happening anytime soon. Also why do you need donations? Most developers don't need donations until further on in their development cycle.

new_tolinux
May 23rd, 2010, 12:34 PM
Well, we could go somewhere else, anywhere else. It all started as a simple idea (not trying to be rude)
I'm not trying to be rude. It's just that your basic idea seem to have some major flaws which I think should be aknowledged and dealt with before putting any more effort in working out on that basic idea.

I know that I can't code any OS myself either. Besides some old *basic stuff in different *basic-flavours and some clipper stuff I really can't code any program.

However, as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't mean I can't think ;) So just by trying to apply logic and sense to your idea, at the moment I can only say that I think it's not worth putting more effort in the idea you've suggested here.

Edit:
Can someone please explain "b/c" to me?

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
I didn't say I needed donations, I said that if someone wanted to get paid, (as was mentioned by another user) they would have to rely on donations the project received, b/c I just have an idea, I'm not growing money trees. and the project is the sum total of all those ideas that you just went over.

Rasa1111
May 23rd, 2010, 12:38 PM
i need sleep. i just don't know what this guy wants. [i don't think he does either]
one minute he's describing networking, and file sharing then grid computing. Then merging internet connections. So what you don't like ubuntu because it can't perform a task that you're not even sure on what you want it to do?

:ks * +1

Barrucadu
May 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
Explain your idea(s) more thoroughly.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
I wasn't implying that you couldn't think, simply that ideas have fueled technology as we know it. All technology that we have today, has started as nothing more, than an idea in someone's head. And to supress those ideas, simply b/c we can't find a few loop holes in today's technology that would allow them to exist, would not be wise. Your thinking, would provide valuable insight as to what those holes and vulnerabilities would be.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
I can't right now, in detail. I've lost most of them talking to you guys, but basically, it would be a cross, between grid computing (sharing system resources, ie RAM) Torrent (Sharing system upgrades and other trusted information), mesh networking (where all computers are considered friends and local access points to other computers/resources ie internet), encrypted networking (probably OpenVPN,) local encryption (so no one knew what anyone else was doing) and network hosting, so that user could host pages and files to one another without the need to each download it fromt he internet. and much much more

Also, the computers would be able to encrypt tunnels to one another through other computers connected to the network.

new_tolinux
May 23rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
I wasn't implying that you said/meant that either.

I'm just wondering why those (in my opinion major) flaws didn't go by your mind, as I'm basicly putting more effort in producing an reply in understandable English than I did thinking about your idea. (No, English isn't my first language and I don't use any translators.)

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
Know the feeling, Learning German and Esperanto

colorlessprism
May 23rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
you could make a blueprint on launchpad about this. Launchpad lets projects track the features they intend to implement over the next few releases. We call each feature proposal a "blueprint", and it can be a single paragraph placeholder for the idea, or a full-blown development specification. Once a blueprint is in Launchpad, we can generate reports of the project roadmap, as well as notifying interested developers of blueprint status changes. It's a great way to build a small community around an idea, feature or proposal. This is also a good way to keep track of the features a particular person is interested in.
If you are interested in understanding the Blueprints tracker in more detail then you should take a look at the system documentation, where you can learn the best practices for effective community building and release management with Launchpad.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Thank you!

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
So is this just for requesting software in Ubuntu?

TheNessus
May 23rd, 2010, 01:09 PM

If you don't know coding what makes you think codes have to be totally re-written? isn't that a little presumptuous?

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Sorry, I've never actually went without following my instinct my whole life, and it hasn't failed me yet. I guess you could call it a feeling, or an intuition, but I just feel like something very deep within the OS would be changed!

TheNessus
May 23rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
Sorry, I've never actually went without following my instinct my whole life, and it hasn't failed me yet. I guess you could call it a feeling, or an intuition, but I just feel like something very deep within the OS would be changed!

It's like saying a car's engine is not efficient enough, without knowing how an engine works. Sure, an engine can be more efficient, but without valid critique and understanding there's no point in this. Besides, you want a new car for a certain task, so what makes you think the problem lies within the engine, and not, say, aerodynamics?

See my point?

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 01:29 PM
Some cars are built for racing, while others are built for driving. That's why it's illegal to have a race car on the street. Though they both require a tune up. The race car requires a more in depth one, than the car you drive. They both serve their purpose! but they both have different purposes and can't survive in each other's worlds, without being properly modified/rebuilt.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
P.S. It's just plain ignorance to say an engine is inefficient, without knowing how it works. My whole like I've been taking things apart to see how they worked. I try to let my intuitions come from this understanding.

23dornot23d
May 23rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
I feel its more like saying that the cars engine ....... can be taken out and replaced with a better one ....... if the design allowed it ......

If the design was such that a Petrol Engine could be replaced with a hybrid then maybe we would not have so much scrap in the scrap yards.

So saying that the Distro is the Engine ..... are we saying the computer can be changed in such a way it will make the computer run better or faster ....... not possible .....
the programmers are finding it hard enough keeping up with all the new devices being attached to computers ....... to keep them in work for ever .......

We need to know the goal here ...... is it speed of use ...... more people connecting without using ISP's ........... or something based on torrents where users can give a percentage of their bandwidth of transfers to others ........

Whatever this could become a good brainstorming session ...... :guitar: or a bit like a group getting together to make a song ...... will it be a hit record though ..... :confused:

powerpleb
May 23rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
Hey, I'd just like to say that your idea sounds very interesting and from what I understand of it would be the perfect sort of thing for schools or other organisations who share information and who would greatly benefit from the increased efficiency of "pooling" resources.
+1 for putting it on launchpad. Hopefully you will get some positive and constructive criticisms that will help build your idea and not just more of the misguided nitpicking and negativity of some of this thread.

I do hope something comes of it. The more innovation and creativity the better I say.

Unfortunately, being a programming retard and a humanities student, my labour would likely be of little use to you.

BoneKracker
May 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hey, I'd just like to say that this thread and all the OP's posts sound like trolling to me.

Ever read the Mall Ninja thread?
http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

dragos240
May 23rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Try using Linux From Scratch. You'll learn how Linux works.

alket
May 23rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
As far as I understood, It's called cloud and its in function from 2001, you can make it via one Server or network sharing . Something like Ubuntu ONE and I don't think that you need an OS from scratch to do that, you can make an application.

Shining Arcanine
May 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
ki4jgt, I read all of your posts in this thread until now and I cannot understand what it is that you want to do. To be honest, your posts sound more like that of a manager than an actual developer in that they are extremely vague. You keep talking about the categories or bullet points that you want implemented, but you make no mention of how they would appear from a user's perspective.

Maybe it would be a good idea if you talk about what a user experiences now and how you want to change that in a way perceptible to them. If you cannot do that, then perhaps there is no reason to pursue this, because it does not appear that you have the technical knowledge to talk about how the underlying architecture works, how you think it should work and why your ideas would constitute an improvement.

BoneKracker
May 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
If you cannot do that, then perhaps there is no reason to pursue this, because it does not appear that you have the technical knowledge to talk about how the underlying architecture works, how you think it should work and why your ideas would constitute an improvement.

KA-WHAAM! (http://records.viu.ca/~soules/media112/zine2000/moose/cjfunk.jpg)

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Two words to user experience "NO LAGGING" Locally, RAM, internet and processing power are shared! Network speaking, users are allowed to host their own files to the rest of the network around them and chat with other users. (Hello everyone, how are? I have a photo collection hosted on my computer, if you want to see it, then just connect to me.) Allong with a data store, where the network can host and ask for webpages (user created content - not from the actual internet) from each other based on pulled information. So, Hey, I'm doing a report on China, any of you guys have anything on it?
Then lets say that John Doe walks in. His computer says "Ill trade you processing power from me and Jane Doe who is too far for you to reach, but not for me In exchange for your internet access, that I will share with her also. Oh and Jane Doe wants to speak with Jeff, so I need to route some traffic to Jeff. Jane and Jeff, who are three city blocks from each other, are now able to speak with one another and share pictures of Jeff's son (Jane's nephew) Securely.

Jane knows what her nephews softball game looked like yesterday, and John can tell his son, hey, your aunt saw your photos and I didn't have to share them with any creeps on the internet.

alket
May 23rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Two words to user experience "NO LAGGING" Locally, RAM, internet and processing power are shared! Network speaking, users are allowed to host their own files to the rest of the network around them and chat with other users. (Hello everyone, how are? I have a photo collection hosted on my computer, if you want to see it, then just connect to me.) Allong with a data store, where the network can host and ask for webpages (user created content - not from the actual internet) from each other based on pulled information. So, Hey, I'm doing a report on China, any of you guys have anything on it?
Then lets say that John Doe walks in. His computer says "Ill trade you processing power from me and Jane Doe who is too far for you to reach, but not for me In exchange for your internet access, that I will share with her also. Oh and Jane Doe wants to speak with Jeff, so I need to route some traffic to Jeff. Jane and Jeff, who are three blocks from each other, are now able to speak with one another and share pictures of Jeff's son (Jane's nephew) Securely.

Jane knows what her nephews softball game looked like yesterday, and John can tell his son, hey, your aunt saw your photos and I didn't have to share them with any creeps on the internet.
That's Ubuntu.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Sorry, but I haven't seen that yet. So if Ubuntu can do all this, could you please tell me how?

sydbat
May 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM

P.S. It's just plain ignorance to say an engine is inefficient, without knowing how it works. My whole like I've been taking things apart to see how they worked. I try to let my intuitions come from this understanding.Twice you mention doing things a certain way your entire life. I am asking what your age is because it seems you are quite young. Perhaps a teenager.

While there is nothing wrong with being young, it can prove to be frustrating when you have a idea that appears to be unique to you, but has already been thought out/implemented in the past. We were all young once and know that getting the ideas out in a cogent manner is sometimes difficult due to lack of experience/education/whatever.

Of course your idea might truly be unique enough to merit a completely rewritten OS, but your manner of trying to relate the uniqueness of it is lacking.

Yes
May 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM
I'm pretty sure your ideas wouldn't be implemented in a distro, but in a different program or even the kernel itself.

nikhilbhardwaj
May 23rd, 2010, 07:54 PM
basically you want to reinvent the wheel

best of luck with this wild goose chase.

Frogs Hair
May 23rd, 2010, 07:59 PM
I take no offense , I just do not understand your idea:confused:

pgatrick
May 23rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
I haven't read this entire thread, but OP, perhaps you should look into Freenet, or even better Plan 9 from Bell Labs. Some of the concepts you mention seem rather similar to things they have already done, if I've interpreted what you mean correctly. And Plan 9 is just really fascinating anyway.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
So I decided to come back to this after my daily 3 hours of sleep, and yet this guy still doesn't know what he wants. Are you talking about making a cluster? You keep basically saying "I have a good idea guys, but I need people who will spend hours on it doing what I want, but I'm not going to tell them what I want, but I want them to pull it off perfectly."

Here is a list of what this guy has described so far:

networking
file sharing
torrents
cluster
cloud computing (Ubuntu 1)
Grid computing
Developing an encrypted yet completely wide open wi-fi network :confused:
A whole new distro to implement these features
Scrutinizing everyone else's analogies, and throwing in his own
Building a team to do all this for him while he brings nothing to the drawing table except for asking for donations.

I pretty much just saved everyone a lot of reading.

BoneKracker
May 23rd, 2010, 08:35 PM

Actually, a new "distro" was implemented to enable similar ideas. It was called Plan9 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs). Many of it's innovations have been incorporated into *nixen, and many are still slowly being adopted. It was way ahead of its time.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Actually, a new "distro" was implemented to enable similar ideas. It was called Plan9 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs). Many of it's innovations have been incorporated into *nixen, and many are still slowly being adopted. It was way ahead of its time.

Yeah I've heard of things like this. It's the whole cluster computing thing that a lot of laboratories use. I think it was the method used before super computers.

Xelivis
May 23rd, 2010, 09:01 PM
Guys, I have little technical knowledge of airplanes or cars but besides that fact who wants to help me build a flying car. I have some great ideas!

Every single concept you have described so far has already been implemented already in some form or another.

Locally, RAM, internet and processing power are shared! Network speaking, users are allowed to host their own files to the rest of the network around them and chat with other users.

See clustering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_%28computing%29), also see distributed computing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_computing). With no programming experience or a thorough understanding of how these concepts work (ie not understanding the limitations that exist) I see no reason for people to contribute to this project. In order to share RAM and Processing Power real time with no lag like you said you need at least a 10 mbps connection to another clustered computer so being able to implement your system of the internet is not feasible.

I have to ask, have you ever actually setup a cluster or a cloud? If not I suggest you do so before you waste any more breathe on your proposal. Go to the Synaptic Package Manager > Edit > Mark Packages by Task... then select the cloud computing ones. No reason to write a completely new distro when the core functionality and protocols already exist for what you proposed.

madjr
May 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Moved to the cafe.

I have to wonder what it is you expect to get from people without actually telling anyone.

lol a good name for it would be Mysterylinux or surpriseOS

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Guys, I have little technical knowledge of airplanes or cars but besides that fact who wants to help me build a flying car. I have some great ideas!

Every single concept you have described so far has already been implemented already in some form or another.

See clustering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_%28computing%29), also see distributed computing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_computing). With no programming experience or a thorough understanding of how these concepts work (ie not understanding the limitations that exist) I see no reason for people to contribute to this project. In order to share RAM and Processing Power real time with no lag like you said you need at least a 10 mbps connection to another clustered computer so being able to implement your system of the internet is not feasible.

I have to ask, have you ever actually setup a cluster or a cloud? If not I suggest you do so before you waste any more breathe on your proposal. Go to the Synaptic Package Manager > Edit > Mark Packages by Task... then select the cloud computing ones. No reason to write a completely new distro when the core functionality and protocols already exist for what you proposed.

One bucket of popcorn for you my good man for leading him in the direction he refused to look for. :popcorn:

Mr. Picklesworth
May 23rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
[ Mesh networking (see OLPC) + Salut / Bonjour chat protocol (see People Nearby in Empathy) + Cloud computing ] × Unicorns = this idea ;)

For what it's worth, it is always better to study and work on existing stuff. You can learn a lot in the process, too. One really important, though frequently unrecognized feature of open source is that we don't need to push out a new codebase for every little detail that doesn't exist in a piece of software.

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Do you want to make a new internet?

Seriously.

I would like a new internet, completely separate from this one. Is this what you are trying to do?

An alternative internet?

You will have to learn how to code.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Wow, LOL new internets, imposibilities. Look, all I want to do, is be able to have a mesh network, where new laptops/computers introduced to the network can easily and instantly be connected contribute to the network load by providing it's resources with the network, whether those resources be bandwidth, RAM, Processing, or anything else.

As far as wide open WIFI goes, I'm talking about a wifi connection that any computer within range of the network would understand and be able to en/decrypt, yet the user wouldn't. So as to prevent hackers from stealing information that their node wasn't meant to receive. Each computer would be a NODE. passing traffic for the network to it's intended destination, using encryption that only the sender and receiver computers know.

Yes, possibly if the network desires to do so, they can host their own internet, or public index of pages, that the entire network may access, allowing them to even provide SSL sites that are only accessable to their network.

Each computer would be an individual computer on it's own, but they would always pass information when they were together, through WIFI.

I also would like to see the torrent idea implemented, on webpages and files which are not SSL encrypted. So that the network wouldn't have to download one file a billion times, but simply once to everyone.

I want the encryption of the WIFI network to be preferably in OpenVPN, b/c when properly implemented, it has yet to be cracked.

As far as changing the core of the OS, it is mandatory. because all local traffic would have to be routed through the network as one local machine. So basically if I wanted to download Ubuntu updates, the machine would first have to check the network to see if the updates were already available, then the internet.

Basically, all computers would be friendly APs for the network and all the computers on it, but the data traveling through them would be encrypted so that only the destination would be able to understand it!

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
and for everyone who doesn't understand that, you're thinking too hard! Calm your thoughts down and imagine, what you think I'm talking about, b/c I've basically just went over a majority of it in plain english. I can't be any more simpler. So stop complicating things and try to guess what I'm saying.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Wow, LOL new internets, imposibilities. Look, all I want to do, is be able to have a mesh network, where new laptops/computers introduced to the network can easily and instantly be connected contribute to the network load by providing it's resources with the network, whether those resources be bandwidth, RAM, Processing, or anything else.

It's already been done. You want a great example? Look up Folding@Home.

As far as wide open WIFI goes, I'm talking about a wifi connection that any computer within range of the network would understand and be able to en/decrypt, yet the user wouldn't. So as to prevent hackers from stealing information that their node wasn't meant to receive. Each computer would be a NODE. passing traffic for the network to it's intended destination, using encryption that only the sender and receiver computers know.

Sounds like what you do when setting up a home network with the WEP, and WPA encryption keys.

Yes, possibly if the network desires to do so, they can host their own internet, or public index of pages, that the entire network may access, allowing them to even provide SSL sites that are only accessable to their network.

You do realize this is all the internet was when it was first invented right?

Each computer would be an individual computer on it's own, but they would always pass information when they were together, through WIFI.

Cluster computing...

I also would like to see the torrent idea implemented, on webpages and files which are not SSL encrypted. So that the network wouldn't have to download one file a billion times, but simply once to everyone.

It's called a cache, you can set up your web browser to cache certain websites that you visit frequently.

I want the encryption of the WIFI network to be preferably in OpenVPN, b/c when properly implemented, it has yet to be cracked.

As far as changing the core of the OS, it is mandatory. because all local traffic would have to be routed through the network as one local machine. So basically if I wanted to download Ubuntu updates, the machine would first have to check the network to see if the updates were already available, then the internet.

No you don't.

Basically, all computers would be friendly APs for the network and all the computers on it, but the data traveling through them would be encrypted so that only the destination would be able to understand it!

So you want the computers to have an algorithm that only they have to decrypt your encrypted network. Sounds a bit like you got this idea from CSI, NCIS, or any of those other shows.

Well I hope I could help you out understand as to why you don't need to make another distro.

23dornot23d
May 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
You are saying have a wifi network in cities/towns .....

or anywhere where people are within range of sending info to each other ......

But also .......

With the broader links being the original ISPs that send through cables / optical etc ,,,, and our existing networks ......

But I am guessing somehow that you would like to be able to cut the ISP out completely
and create a web based on WiFi alone ....... ?

The new network ...... that cannot be controlled by corporations etc ......

So .....

Without using some form of sat links / cable links / mobile phones etc to get the coverage over large
distances ,,,,, I cannot understand this .......... this will not work ........

It still relies on the big players to send the information from city to city

BoneKracker
May 23rd, 2010, 10:20 PM
You were almost starting to make sense there, until you started talking about details. You need to separate conceptual architecture from implementation technologies.

Throwing things like "torrents", "SSL", and "OpenVPN" into the mix here is like saying, "I'd like to have a new kind of building that should be relocatable and have reconfigurable internal spaces (conceptual architecture), and oh yeah -- it should have Dupont Stainmaster carpet, Anderson Windows, and a General Electric toaster, because General Electric toasters come with a great warranty."

For example, the concept you are interested in is not "torrents"; it is probably some form of data reuse (caching) at the network level (and once you articulate the need from a conceptual standpoint, later you'll discover it's probably NOT torrents but some kind of distributed filesystem). Similarly, instead of things like "SSL" and "OpenVPN", think about the general, conceptual needs you perceive them to satisfy.

More importantly, for your idea to be worth anything, you must clearly articulate that it will satisfy presently unsatisfied needs.

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2010, 10:21 PM
and for everyone who doesn't understand that, you're thinking too hard! Calm your thoughts down and imagine, what you think I'm talking about, b/c I've basically just went over a majority of it in plain english. I can't be any more simpler. So stop complicating things and try to guess what I'm saying.

What you are proposing, is entirely possible already, and you don`t need a new distro. Maybe Ubuntu is not the best starting place. As far as I understand - you want

- a network of multiple computers

- each computer adds their processing power to the whole

- computers in this network are synced, in that, at the moment they appear on the whole, they obtain all information they don`t have from the network, and give all the information they have to the whole.

All this information is encrypted in such a way as to only make it visible to "allowed computers" on the network.

This is not difficult.

Is there anything else?

I would still like to make a new internet though.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Yeah, the whole new internet thing was discussed. I'm not wanting to make it where these computers share from city to city, just to each other. I don't want a global network, just a local one. The internet is the global one. I don't want to cut anything out, but if the user so desires, they should be able to host their own LOCAL version of the internet to any computer within range. and they shouldn't have to share it with the world if they don't want to.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 10:31 PM
yet, if two cities so desire to share their internet. They can, simply through a wifi network.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
What you are proposing, is entirely possible already, and you don`t need a new distro. Maybe Ubuntu is not the best starting place. As far as I understand - you want

- a network of multiple computers

- each computer adds their processing power to the whole

- computers in this network are synced, in that, at the moment they appear on the whole, they obtain all information they don`t have from the network, and give all the information they have to the whole.

All this information is encrypted in such a way as to only make it visible to "allowed computers" on the network.

This is not difficult.

Is there anything else?

I would still like to make a new internet though.

I would like to be part of your team to make this new internet. I already have a plan that makes more sense than this guys' idea.

First we'll collect about 428 unicorns (only unix can be run on unicorns) then we will have them be our magical messengers for all our users. No one will want to hack, kill, or decrypt (?) a unicorn. They will have a speed of Awesome Terabytes per nano second. They're like a large cluster of santa clauses that can do your bidding.

23dornot23d
May 23rd, 2010, 10:33 PM
Got it with you now ..... local networks ,,,, without a ISP ...... it should be possible if enough people take part in it ..... and are close enough together ,,,,, I have seen the signal strength improved with directional ........ pick ups .......

murderslastcrow
May 23rd, 2010, 10:34 PM
Oh, nifty. Well, the thing is, the technology is already here to get that stuff working, you just have to edit some configuration files, most likely.

I would suggest looking for a distro that accomplishes something near this and talk to their site admin or something. Then, you could simply fork their project. Of course, unless you have a very specific focus, people are unlikely to use it over something like Ubuntu.

Learn some Python, it's easier than most languages. There are some great, cheap books on it that will teach you a great deal. Then you can be one step closer to accomplishing this for yourself.

However, if you're not planning on learning to code, the most efficient way to do this is to get a lot of funding, then find people in the open source community that specialize in what you need, and bribe them to do a bit of work on it. Hopefully you're planning to maintain it yourself, or find someone specifically to handle maintenance of packages and such.

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
I would like to be part of your team to make this new internet. I already have a plan that makes more sense than this guys' idea.

First we'll collect about 428 unicorns (only unix can be run on unicorns) then we will have them be our magical messengers for all our users. No one will want to hack, kill, or decrypt (?) a unicorn. They will have a speed of Awesome Terabytes per nano second. They're like a large cluster of santa clauses that can do your bidding.

This is the reason I want a new internet :roll:

Frak
May 23rd, 2010, 10:45 PM

So, have you thought about anything that hasn't already been done, yet? Also, don't say "OpenVPN", say "A layer to privately send messages between independent nodes, irrespective of the sibling nodes" or something along those lines. Don't tie into one technology, but tie into the implementation itself. Don't tie into the software, tie into the specific feature.

new_tolinux
May 23rd, 2010, 10:47 PM

Unicorns run unix :confused:
http://lilymichaud.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/unicorn.jpg

standingwave
May 23rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
I too would like to join this team. I envision a user interface employing time travel utilizing quantum black holes so it anticipates what I want to do before I even think of it. I have no idea how to do any of this of course, those are just minor technical challenges for others on the team. I'm an idea person.

23dornot23d
May 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
You seen some of the things that people do to amplify the signal ...... no unicorns needed

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/wifi/wifi_antenna_files/Yagi12.jpg&imgrefurl=http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/wifi/wifi_antenna.html&usg=__fvPB5yunM4OxvRcRRmJQS5erhH8=&h=411&w=800&sz=95&hl=en&start=45&sig2=q0dcPgCgNDFn3tKSsnETQA&itbs=1&tbnid=xvtyx3Msf0m5WM:&tbnh=73&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dimproving%2Bwifi%2Bnetwork%2Bstumbler %26start%3D36%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26nd sp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=aqH5S_68GKSGmwP856XdCA

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 11:01 PM
I didn't say it hadn't been come up with before, just that the idea of them all together is new.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 11:01 PM
You seen some of the things that people do to amplify the signal ...... no unicorns needed

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/wifi/wifi_antenna_files/Yagi12.jpg&imgrefurl=http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/wifi/wifi_antenna.html&usg=__fvPB5yunM4OxvRcRRmJQS5erhH8=&h=411&w=800&sz=95&hl=en&start=45&sig2=q0dcPgCgNDFn3tKSsnETQA&itbs=1&tbnid=xvtyx3Msf0m5WM:&tbnh=73&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dimproving%2Bwifi%2Bnetwork%2Bstumbler %26start%3D36%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26nd sp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=aqH5S_68GKSGmwP856XdCA

If only we could revive Nikola Tesla, he would just make this more awesome by having lightning arcs coming out of them, your laptop, and every lightbulb in your house just for the sake of awesomeness.

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2010, 11:03 PM
I too would like to join this team. I envision a user interface employing time travel utilizing quantum black holes so it anticipates what I want to do before I even think of it. I have no idea how to do any of this of course, those are just minor technical challenges for others on the team. I'm an idea person.

My idea, is not as complicated as that.

It`s just a global network of computers, sharing information and ideas, and allowing uncensored communication, without imbeciles, porn and unbiased news getting in the way.

A pipe dream, I know........But it would be nice.

KiraLexi
May 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM
Look up QNX, Plan9, and Freenet. Please. You will save yourself a lot of time.

23dornot23d
May 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM
+1
Me too ..... I like the idea of the people for the people ...... one for all and all for one .....

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2010, 11:10 PM

Haha, thankyou.

It doesn`t stop the internet from being what it is is though.

I think this needs a radical overhaul,

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
My idea would work for the new internet thing, but parts of it would probably tunnel through the internet, as was said earlier. You need someone to take it place to place, unless you plan on merging my idea with your city and then having them merge it with the city next door.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 11:26 PM
My idea would work for the new internet thing, but parts of it would probably tunnel through the internet, as was said earlier. You need someone to take it place to place, unless you plan on merging my idea with your city and then having them merge it with the city next door.

wtf are you talking about:-x?! Do you run a management position? You honestly sound like you do.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
No, what makes me sound so? I'll try to stop! LOL

KiraLexi
May 23rd, 2010, 11:35 PM
Vague, buzzword-infested statements without an apparent grasp of the technical and engineering details.

new_tolinux
May 23rd, 2010, 11:36 PM
No, what makes me sound so? I'll try to stop! LOL
That what's quoted below:

Vague, buzzword-infested statements without an apparent grasp of the technical and engineering details.

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2010, 11:36 PM
A new internet is not a crazy idea.

The idea that it could be free from imbeciles and porn etc is.

But it is a nice idea, I think. :)

Frogs Hair
May 23rd, 2010, 11:37 PM
I can't compete with unicorns ! and I don't know what the "New internet thing" is. punt

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 11:39 PM

^^^ This +1

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2010, 11:40 PM

I just did, sigh :sad:

new_tolinux
May 23rd, 2010, 11:43 PM
I can't compete with unicorns ! and I don't know what the "New internet thing" is. punt
The whole idea is as realistic as a unicorn. And the whole idea is so well thought of, as if it was a real fairytale. But as with all fairytales... they're way beyond the truth and impossible to happen.... ever. So.... in this case they wouldn't live happily ever after.

Punt..... (which is also Dutch for "point", as in that dot what closes the last sentence of a fairytale).

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2010, 11:44 PM
Freenet ??!!? , just wanted me to install java - wtf

You are trying to run Freenet under a non-Sun JVM: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_18. This is not recommended: Freenet may not run well. Please get Sun java from http://www.java.com/getjava/ if possible.

Big no no in my book.

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
The whole idea is as realistic as a unicorn.

Why?

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
Freenet ??!!? , just wanted me to install java - wtf

You are trying to run Freenet under a non-Sun JVM: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_18. This is not recommended: Freenet may not run well. Please get Sun java from http://www.java.com/getjava/ if possible.
Big no no in my book.

I think it means Java 6. Why is that a big no no?

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
Why?

because no one knows what he wants, he doesn't know what he wants (no offense, but you're too vague OP).

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM

Doesn`t really get the point, does it? A new internet, that needs java?

23dornot23d
May 23rd, 2010, 11:52 PM
Bill Gates had a dream ..... he kept going ,,,,,

Reality ...... what's that about then .....

Is it virtual ..... who is in it ?

and who would like to create their own .....

Without any of the billionaires controlling what you do .... ?

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 11:53 PM
Bill Gates had a dream ..... he kept going ,,,,,

Reality ...... what's that about then .....

Is it virtual ..... and are you in it ?

Is this poetry? :confused:

nothingspecial
May 23rd, 2010, 11:55 PM
Plan 9 from outer space is the worst (best) film I have ever seen.

Flying saucers on strings, you can imagine the hands holding them.

ki4jgt
May 23rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
For anyone who's interested, I'm sorry that I got to the point that I no longer cared about something that I devoted the last 10 yrs of my life to. (which I was very good at) I just got tired of people who thought they knew it all trying to own the computer industry and thinking that just b/c they were a little smarter than the people around them, that those people were in some way a thorn in their sides.

I swore that I would never become that, so I forgot all my techie terms. Now I'm back. and even though, it's been 3yrs since I've had a computer class I'm 21. I'm still faced with people who believe that since I've forgotten all the details, that my ideas are somewhat incomplete. Which I agree, they are, I'm just putting the puzzle together now. Since I've returned however, I've learned a lot of new skills, mainly wifi hacking, which is very cool!

I'm sorry if I'm being undescriptive, but I haven't studied computers for three years. I know how an OS works. I know all the big words that go into making the OS thing work, I've just blocked it out of my mind for the last 3 yrs, b/c the people I was learning with, were nothing but :-) who acted like they were preparing for world war 3.

For anyone interested I've setup a launchpad project at: http://www.launchpad.net/opegri

nothingspecial
May 24th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Sorry for highjacking your thread.

Night, night.

new_tolinux
May 24th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Why?
Getting a system besides the internet should be possible.
Getting a system where each computer connects to another in order to get to the point it should reach should be possible (it's how the internet works, so it should be possible for another network).
Getting that system city-wide, country-wide or even worldwide besides the internet should not be impossible also.

It was done before the internet, so it should be possible again.

But......
No knowledge is put in.
No realistic workplan is put in.
Developers are assumed to jump in at once with no decent solid plan.
The OP don't seem to have clear in mind what he/she even wants. How would anyone make something that fit his/her ideas if there seem to be a lack of an idea at all.

It will face the exact same problems of the internet and maybe even more other problems, which make the internet a lot less likely to be shifted aside for this yet-to-build-network.

Besides that, "The idea that it could be free from imbeciles and porn etc" is impossible at all. Even places where people aren't anonymous (like pubs) has to deal with "unwanted" behaviour, let alone a big network where everyone can do as he/she likes because everything is anonymous and virtually untracable because it runs through so many "private" machines (if I read the plans well) before it even reaches the "open" areas. Needless to mention that every goverment wants to stop that from happening because they like to play "big brother" and know everything, so the "new" network will become FBI's top priority to take down if it grows a little.

Edit:

For anyone who's interested, I'm sorry that I got to the point that I no longer cared about something that I devoted the last 10 yrs of my life to. (which I was very good at) I just got tired of people who thought they knew it all trying to own the computer industry and thinking that just b/c they were a little smarter than the people around them, that those people were in some way a thorn in their sides.

I swore that I would never become that, so I forgot all my techie terms. Now I'm back. and even though, it's been 3yrs since I've had a computer class I'm 21. I'm still faced with people who believe that since I've forgotten all the details, that my ideas are somewhat incomplete. Which I agree, they are, I'm just putting the puzzle together now. Since I've returned however, I've learned a lot of new skills, mainly wifi hacking, which is very cool!
I'm sorry if I'm being undescriptive, but I haven't studied computers for three years. I know how an OS works. I know all the big words that go into making the OS thing work, I've just blocked it out of my mind for the last 3 yrs, b/c the people I was learning with, were nothing but :-) who acted like they were preparing for world war 3.

For anyone interested I've setup a launchpad project at: http://www.launchpad.net/opegri
I'm sorry, but I'll miss your point (again).
At least it's more than 10 years ago since I did follow my last computer-course.
I don't like those people who can only throw around techy terms either, I really like to explain in "normal" language how things work.
That doesn't mean that I forgot them. If someone uses them, I probably know what they mean very well. And 21 is a station I passed long ago.
Come on, 3 years without a study and you forgot about everything? Who are you trying to fool around?
If I would forget anything which wasn't in a study in the past three years..... I would not even be able to read.
Computers are logical things. Quite like riding a bike. You can skip it for 20 years and then (although not as solid as back then) just start off where you came from.

Legendary_Bibo
May 24th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Plan 9 from outer space is the worst (best) film I have ever seen.

Flying saucers on strings, you can imagine the hands holding them.

haha, what? Must be from before my time.

ki4jgt
May 24th, 2010, 12:05 AM
No that's what threads are for, they go from one topic to the next, I'm just saying I know what computer terms are. I just got bored of everyday, dealing with the same people. You know, it's like no one has a life outside of these things, LOL (lately Myself included)

Legendary_Bibo
May 24th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Getting a system besides the internet should be possible.
Getting a system where each computer connects to another in order to get to the point it should reach should be possible (it's how the internet works, so it should be possible for another network).
Getting that system city-wide, country-wide or even worldwide besides the internet should not be impossible also.

It was done before the internet, so it should be possible again.

But......
No knowledge is put in.
No realistic workplan is put in.
Developers are assumed to jump in at once with no decent solid plan.
The OP don't seem to have clear in mind what he/she even wants. How would anyone make something that fit his/her ideas if there seem to be a lack of an idea at all.

It will face the exact same problems of the internet and maybe even more other problems, which make the internet a lot less likely to be shifted aside for this yet-to-build-network.

Besides that, "The idea that it could be free from imbeciles and porn etc" is impossible at all. Even places where people aren't anonymous (like pubs) has to deal with "unwanted" behaviour, let alone a big network where everyone can do as he/she likes because everything is anonymous and virtually untracable because it runs through so many "private" machines (if I read the plans well) before it even reaches the "open" areas. Needless to mention that every goverment wants to stop that from happening because they like to play "big brother" and know everything, so the "new" network will become FBI's top priority to take down if it grows a little.

Yeah, there's no resources, no plan, no solid idea. It sounds like he thinks we're all hippies who know how to build a plane that could travel faster than the speed of light.

Big brother only watches us to keep us safe, it is for the benefit of us all! :roll:

ki4jgt
May 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM
LMFBO LOL NO NO NO NO NO! I have an idea and a plan, it's just too complex to say here, I mean haven't you ever wanted to just IDK, make something that was all you? Express yourself to the people around you without having the entire world listening in? Ok, let's take for instance you do host your own networked site from this thing.
Any network you join, is going to have access to your site. Your hosted files, which in my opinion is the ultimate selfexpression. Your contributing to only the networks you know, not some pervert down the street, who may be sending kiddie porn through Freenet, that the govnt can't even trace.

ki4jgt
May 24th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Businesses can use this technology, since the computers connect when they come in contact with each other, companies wouldn't need to hire IT's for network setup. Internet would be share from the one computer that was setup for the internet to the rest of them, the one computer could choose who could have internet and who couldn't, no one would be able to hack the network.

new_tolinux
May 24th, 2010, 12:25 AM
LMFBO LOL NO NO NO NO NO! I have an idea and a plan, it's just too complex to say here, I mean haven't you ever wanted to just IDK, make something that was all you? Express yourself to the people around you without having the entire world listening in? Ok, let's take for instance you do host your own networked site from this thing.
Any network you join, is going to have access to your site. Your hosted files, which in my opinion is the ultimate selfexpression. Your contributing to only the networks you know, not some pervert down the street, who may be sending kiddie porn through Freenet, that the govnt can't even trace.
As a matter of fact I know what it's like.

By the way..... Shouting kiddie porn or terrorism is only a statement they use to justify any form of privacy-invading action. The internet isn't full of it and it probably won't be either if it was legalized.

ki4jgt
May 24th, 2010, 12:41 AM
OK well, I didn't say it wasn't. I just said that freenet was. I was trying to say that this network was also encrypted, but instead of letting people in who you don't know, I was implying that you could choose who had access to your files and who didn't.

Shining Arcanine
May 24th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Then lets say that John Doe walks in. His computer says "Ill trade you processing power from me and Jane Doe who is too far for you to reach, but not for me In exchange for your internet access, that I will share with her also. Oh and Jane Doe wants to speak with Jeff, so I need to route some traffic to Jeff. Jane and Jeff, who are three city blocks from each other, are now able to speak with one another and share pictures of Jeff's son (Jane's nephew) Securely.

I think you want a low latency kernel. There are kernel features for that, but they are not configured for it on Ubuntu Linux. The closest you can get to that is Ubuntu's real time kernel, but that is overkill for the purposes of a desktop PC. I plan to submit a blueprint regarding changing some of the kernel settings soon, but I have been too busy with things on Gentoo Linux to do that thus far.

That's Ubuntu.

Well, Gentoo is probably better in terms of low latencies, but Ubuntu can be altered for it.

Twice you mention doing things a certain way your entire life. I am asking what your age is because it seems you are quite young. Perhaps a teenager.

While there is nothing wrong with being young, it can prove to be frustrating when you have a idea that appears to be unique to you, but has already been thought out/implemented in the past. We were all young once and know that getting the ideas out in a cogent manner is sometimes difficult due to lack of experience/education/whatever.

Of course your idea might truly be unique enough to merit a completely rewritten OS, but your manner of trying to relate the uniqueness of it is lacking.

Please do not bring age into the conversation. People can be incompetent at any point in their life and age has very little correlation to competence. Some people seem to become less competent the older they become and that is not always because of dementia.

So I decided to come back to this after my daily 3 hours of sleep, and yet this guy still doesn't know what he wants. Are you talking about making a cluster? You keep basically saying "I have a good idea guys, but I need people who will spend hours on it doing what I want, but I'm not going to tell them what I want, but I want them to pull it off perfectly."

Here is a list of what this guy has described so far:

networking
file sharing
torrents
cluster
cloud computing (Ubuntu 1)
Grid computing
Developing an encrypted yet completely wide open wi-fi network :confused:
Scrutinizing everyone else's analogies, and throwing in his own
Building a team to do all this for him while he brings nothing to the drawing table except for asking for donations.

I pretty much just saved everyone a lot of reading.

I wish this had been posted before I posted earlier. It would have saved me a great deal of reading.

I think you need to learn about the Von Neumann bottleneck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_architecture#von_Neumann_bottleneck

That prevents what you want from being possible. The only way to work around it is to use highly specialized algorithms tailored for each application, which is not something you can get in an operating system in such a way that you can just plug a computer into a network and have every other system on the network contribute in a manner that latencies are reduced.

Disc linguam latinam. Facilis quam aliae linguae est. Tunc, videris.

BoneKracker
May 24th, 2010, 12:59 AM
This thread is an epic troll. =D>

ki4jgt
May 24th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Sorry dude, I have the latin books, but haven't got around to them, but thank you very much for actually reading. I understand the bottle neck theory, but I was raised to believe that all things are possible, you just have to find a way to do them.

I want a computer to volunteer to be a central server/grid resource allocator. The bigger the network gets, the more of these it needs.
It also needs to alternate, so the entire network isn't dependent on one system. As far as the internet goes, the bigger the network, the more connections needed.

I'm considering Sub allocators for specific resources, but that may be too time consuming for the network.

Legendary_Bibo
May 24th, 2010, 01:55 AM
You might want to look into parallel processing, but that's hardware.

I think I'm getting at what you want.

You want a network like what the first internet was, but wireless. This is possible.

But you also want to do wireless cluster/cloud computing on a closed, open wireless network. Ummm...sounds difficult. It's like what Folding@Home does, sort of. This would require an upgrade of wireless internet technology and protocols.

ki4jgt
May 24th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Well, the gov did just pay millions of dollars to some dude to redo the internet. Scientists considering throwing the old one away in the USA that is, to update protocols, which make it faster, more secure, and more accessible. So it's gonna happen anyway, why not experiment before hand. Google "New Internet"

BoneKracker
May 24th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Sorry dude, I have the latin books, but haven't got around to them, but thank you very much for actually reading. I understand the bottle neck theory, but I was raised to believe that all things are possible, you just have to find a way to do them.

I want a computer to volunteer to be a central server/grid resource allocator. The bigger the network gets, the more of these it needs.
It also needs to alternate, so the entire network isn't dependent on one system. As far as the internet goes, the bigger the network, the more connections needed.

I'm considering Sub allocators for specific resources, but that may be too time consuming for the network.

What you are describing there is known as a "Self-Organizing Network". The leading edge of this is what the military is doing with self-organizing sensor networks. The mobile telecommunications industry has done quite a bit too. Read up.

Legendary_Bibo
May 24th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Well, the gov did just pay millions of dollars to some dude to redo the internet. Scientists considering throwing the old one away in the USA that is, to update protocols, which make it faster, more secure, and more accessible. So it's gonna happen anyway, why not experiment before hand. Google "New Internet"

I already know about that. It's called Internet 2 among other names. So you want to do that project?

ki4jgt
May 24th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Wow, love it, now I just need to know how the original internet worked and I'll be in business. Thanks a lot.

ki4jgt
May 24th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Well I didn't intend for it to be that project, but it would seem that that project may be the foundation, or at least a corner stone to my entire process

ki4jgt
May 24th, 2010, 02:38 AM
At the same time, I want it to be able to match the speeds of Internet 2

Elfy
May 24th, 2010, 08:40 AM
This has gone round and round for long enough. Closed