PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot problem after upgrade to 10.4

OllieGab
May 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
This is in short my problem:
Upgraded from 9.10 to 10.4, upgrade went OK despite a /media mount problem during boot up.
In gnome I logged off and logged back in again, this time as a KDE session (as it was an option and I thought I'd try it!)
PC didn't like it, froze up and after I re-booted it entered a KDE log-on screen which disappeared before I could actually do anything. A fusion compiz logo came up, disappeared after a couple of seconds and I was back at the Ubuntu logo (with the dots underneath). Cursor is active on screen but can't do anything at all.
I can get to a command line during boot-up but nothing I've tried will sort the problem.
Bug? I mean, why give me the KDE session option when KDE isn't installed?
Any suggestions how I can get out of this?
If I boot up with a live CD all my files are available to me.
I seem to be stuck in KDE without any way of changing it...

Help!!

dzezz
May 23rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
hi,
i've go quite similar problem,
i'm using ubuntu 10.04 with gnome
and i've installed kde
and when i try to switch to the kde in logon screen i can't
there are no options at the bottom
any ideas?

OllieGab
May 23rd, 2010, 11:59 AM
An additional problem I have is, that when I try to do something via the command line (to sort my problem out) I get a "Cannot open display" error message...and this could very well be part of my problem of not seing the screen.
Any one know what that is all about?

Cheers

dino99
May 23rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
try to boot in recovery mode, or/and with nomodeset=0 on the boot line (without splash)

OllieGab
May 23rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
I have actually come a bit on the way....I think!
I used 'startx' on the command line which opened up the computer again. But as root!
I "daren't" log off again in case I won't get back on.
I can't open the 'Manage users' for some unknown reason. But there must be a way, now that I'm root and into the machine, that I can modify the user (I normally am, ie not root) so it will autostart in gnome again. Or at least ask me for username and session type.
Where might I find those files that need modifying?