PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI driver installs

TheRacerX
May 23rd, 2010, 08:02 AM
Hello im new to Ubuntu...well Linux in general Ive always used windows but my friend suggested i try it out anyways im trying to install the most recent catalyst control center and driver for my ATI video card.

It's a .run file but my computer keeps giving me this weird coding error in gedit,
how to do fix it so i can install the driver so i can use all the graphical features of Ubuntu

my computer is a laptop an Acer Extensa 4420
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core TK-57 at 1.9GHz
3GB DDR2 single channel RAM at 315MHz
and an ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 embedded video card

dino99
May 23rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
dont use the ".run" file from nvidia, ubuntu already have the fine tuned drivers available with "synaptic"

install xserver-xorg-video-radeon, then after reboot, check hardware driver (system admin) to see if the driver is well activated.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Mark Phelps
May 23rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hello im new to Ubuntu...well Linux in general Ive always used windows but my friend suggested i try it out anyways im trying to install the most recent catalyst control center and driver for my ATI video card.

Don't -- it won't work with current Ubuntu versions and your video card. Only the open source drivers will work -- and those are installed by default.

TheRacerX
May 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
except for the fact those drivers arent working either my video card is not compatible or something is wrong with it.

TheRacerX
May 23rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
also for some reason no matter what resolution or refresh frequency i wet my display too its still distorted in some way, either the screen wobbles up and down or it gets there weird fuzzy lines on the screen. Ive tried every resolution and frequency combination known to man. nothing fixes it

quadproc
May 23rd, 2010, 07:04 PM

It's a .run file but my computer keeps giving me this weird coding error in gedit,
how to do fix it so i can install the driver so i can use all the graphical features of Ubuntu

Just a note of explanation about the gedit error that you see on the .run file: that file contains an initial unpacking script to decompress the remainder of the file. For that reason, most of the file is binary and gedit cannot make sense of it so gedit complains. If you would like to see the script then you can

head -n 310 <the_.run_file_name>You might need to adjust the 310 a bit.

my computer is a laptop an Acer Extensa 4420
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core TK-57 at 1.9GHz
3GB DDR2 single channel RAM at 315MHz
and an ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 embedded video cardI did not look up the age of your video hardware and you did not say which Ubuntu release that you are using so I will say that there might be a compatibility problem between the .run file and your Ubuntu version. Ask your system

sh <the_.run_file_name> --listpkgand see if the two are compatible.

quadproc

TheRacerX
May 24th, 2010, 12:35 AM
im running Ubuntu 9.10 32bit in a dual boot setup with Windows 7 Professional

TheRacerX
May 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Just a note of explanation about the gedit error that you see on the .run file: that file contains an initial unpacking script to decompress the remainder of the file. For that reason, most of the file is binary and gedit cannot make sense of it so gedit complains. If you would like to see the script then you can

head -n 310 <the_.run_file_name>You might need to adjust the 310 a bit.
I did not look up the age of your video hardware and you did not say which Ubuntu release that you are using so I will say that there might be a compatibility problem between the .run file and your Ubuntu version. Ask your system

sh <the_.run_file_name> --listpkgand see if the two are compatible.

quadproc

i tried that it keeps giving me cannot find directory everytime i type that into Terminal

quadproc
May 24th, 2010, 11:34 PM
i tried that it keeps giving me cannot find directory everytime i type that into Terminal
It sounds like you need to cd to the directory where the .run file is located. For example, if the .run file is located on your desktop, you could input

cd Desktop
sh <the_ati_.run_file_name> --listpkgOf course, substitute the actual directory instead of Desktop, and substitute the actual run file name where I used <the_ati_.run_file_name>.

quadproc

TheRacerX
May 25th, 2010, 12:31 AM
do i put the brackets before and after then file name as well? Sorry i was never good at computer programming and coding lol im a computer hardware geek, my software knowledge is pretty basic

TheRacerX
May 28th, 2010, 07:35 AM
also i found out my video card has a linux proprietary catalyst control center suite on the ATI website and that my video card came out in feb of 2007