PDA

View Full Version : Laptop for school

CrazyDesi
May 23rd, 2010, 04:43 AM
Hey guys, can you help me pick out a laptop for school? I was going to get a Dell V13 but with all the features installed it looks like the Dell Adamo Onyx might be cheaper or close to price(I don't mind another hundred or so for the nice look of the Adamo). Acer's Timeline series and Asus Ul30 also look like good picks and seem good to carry. Anybody have suggestiong?

kaldor
May 23rd, 2010, 04:44 AM
Does it need Windows?

If not, get a MacBook or a System76!

CrazyDesi
May 23rd, 2010, 04:48 AM
No I would prefer if it didn't have Windows. I have a Macbook but I just don't get the enjoyment out of computing from it(figure only people on this forum might understand where I am coming from) so I would like a new laptop that just kind of allows me to play around.

Supergoo
May 23rd, 2010, 05:00 AM
I can suggest a netbook called MSI Windbook, the one I have is the U100 and can say its a very good machine I upgraded it to 2 gigs of Ram for 10 bucks.
it comes with Windowsxp and it can duel boot Ubuntu might want to look at one of these machines. Best of luck

CrazyDesi
May 23rd, 2010, 05:05 AM
Netbook might work if I could find one with a larger screen and good battery.

Supergoo
May 23rd, 2010, 05:12 AM
Well I might also suggest a full fullsize Laptop called a Lenovo sl410 I have on of these and while it comes with Windows7 It also runs Ubuntu out of the box has 4 gigs ram and is duel core 64 bit processors. Runs around 560 bucks and has super build quality,

kaldor
May 23rd, 2010, 05:17 AM
If you want an excellent Linux experience, grab an HP Pavillion dv2700 series entertainment notebook...

What a mouthfull :D

Anyway, it runs most every Linux distro I throw at it without a hitch. Ubuntu, Mint, OpenSUSE, Wolvix, Fedora, and many many others.

Remove Windows from it and you are good.

CrazyDesi
May 23rd, 2010, 05:19 AM
I still need to carry it around. Weight and battery are a big issue :(.

Supergoo
May 23rd, 2010, 06:18 AM
Then looks like you are looking for a netbook, there are many fine machines out there, The one thing you are going to have to get used to is the smaller screens, but most of the netbooks have where you can use a external monitor and then you can also plug in a bluetooth mouse and a usb keyboard when you are at home. So you can have the best of both worlds. I hope that helps and good luck with the hunt for the machine. BTW Just a side note I use my netbook alot and it is so light and small and the battery lasts such a long time, I always have it one me or close to me. Find a machine that works for you and you will not be sorry.

:guitar: