PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clamav program provide PC virus scan?

Camilia
May 23rd, 2010, 04:38 AM
I see there are many variations of clamav in the synapse. Which one provides the virus scan for the PC?

I want one for I had at one time got a virus that removed the printer programs while I was using ubuntu.

Rasa1111
May 23rd, 2010, 04:46 AM
weird.

but try clamTK.

Camilia
May 23rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Thank you! That was the one I was looking for.

Clamav I don't understand.

dino99
May 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM

you have to install 8 packages to work smoothly

Rasa1111
May 23rd, 2010, 02:26 PM

:) most welcome.

Camilia
May 27th, 2010, 01:06 AM

I get it to work but I don't know what to do when I get virus/problems. Had 32, thus just reinstalled ubuntu.

Rasa1111
May 27th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I get it to work but I don't know what to do when I get virus/problems. Had 32, thus just reinstalled ubuntu.

damn.

32 Viruses?
If so...
How do you get 32 Viruses in Ubuntu?

Ive only had 1 virus ever.. on years and years of windows machines....

I can't fathom 32 of them, in UBUNTU!

What on earth are you downloading, and where are you downloading it all from, dear child? lol

Honestly~ I have even scanned my 500 GB external HD with clamTK (with years of files downloaded through windows..... and even that did not find one virus! :lol:

you lost me mate.

unless of course you did not mean 32 viruses. lol
If that's the case.. my apologies..

But if you did....
well.....

dang....

Camilia
May 27th, 2010, 11:06 PM
It was Clamav that showed all of the problems. The problems are listed at the bottom viruses/problems. Most of it applied to clam and thunderbird. I had downloaded every program that had clam on it. It caused a crash and confusion. Thus uninstalled and reinstalled ubuntu in windows.

I believe running 2 os is the main cause of problems. I need windows to view netflix thus keep it but use it limited. Also for some reason had problems after inserting several disk from school books in window os.

clamTK seems easier to understand. Seems similar to Super Antispyware I use in windows.

Rasa1111
May 28th, 2010, 12:15 AM
It was Clamav that showed all of the problems. The problems are listed at the bottom viruses/problems. Most of it applied to clam and thunderbird. I had downloaded every program that had clam on it. It caused a crash and confusion. Thus uninstalled and reinstalled ubuntu in windows.

I believe running 2 os is the main cause of problems. I need windows to view netflix thus keep it but use it limited. Also for some reason had problems after inserting several disk from school books in window os.

clamTK seems easier to understand. Seems similar to Super Antispyware I use in windows.

gotcha.

yeah clamTK is decent.

but, I dont know if youre interested or not..

but I hear good things about avast.

I dont use it, I dont have any MS on my system to be worried about,
but you might find it handy?

You can get it in Ubuntu.

Camilia
May 28th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I dont know if youre interested or not..

but I hear good things about avast.

I dont use it, I dont have any MS on my system to be worried about,
but you might find it handy?

You can get it in Ubuntu.

You mean it is in the synapse? Didn't find it searching Avast. Searching virus found virus killer that addresses virus entering via windows, which has happened to me while I was using ubuntu. It erased printer programs.

Rasa1111
May 28th, 2010, 12:50 AM
no not in synaptic..

Try this~
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/avast-antivirus-for-ubuntu-desktop.html

or bitdefender is supposed to be good also.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BitDefender

Camilia
September 4th, 2010, 01:48 PM

Which packages?

Frogs Hair
September 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Install Virus Scanner for the repository , this is Clam TK . All dependencies will be added automatically when you install . Clam can not scan encrypted files , so they will show up as viruses/ problems. but it works fine for scanning your home folder.

jcolyn
September 4th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I want one for I had at one time got a virus that removed the printer programs while I was using ubuntu.

I've never heard of a Linux virus..

Rootkit maybe??