PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lucid Lynx / Lucid Poppy

jcglt
May 23rd, 2010, 04:04 AM
I upgraded my Laptop (Sis Mirage 3 graphic using SIS671) from Karmic Koala to Lucid Lynx and faced two problems related to graphic display :
- the drivers which worked with Karmic did not work anymore with Lucid and I got only 800*600 screen. This was rather easily solved by finding new drivers and I have now a nice 1280*800 screen ;
- tty terminals (CTRL+ALT+F1 to 6) do not work (garbled and unreadable) as well as Recovery Mode start (because tty terminals do not work). This last problem remains unsolved and it seems that it had been identified with older Ubuntu distributions.
I want to stick to Lucid Lynx because I like it and it will be supported during three years (my laptop life expectancy). Finding no solution I decided today to give a try to Lucid Puppy 5.0. Why ? Because it is a light Linux system (128Mbits to download) and it is built on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx binaries. I downloaded the .iso file, burnt a CD, booted this CD then made from the working system a bootable USB key. What I could immediately see is that it worked well easily and quickly, it proposed a scrren resolution of 1024*768 (without all the difficulties met with Ubuntu Lucid) and it provides two tty terminals (CTRL+ALT+F2 and 3 - return to graphic interface by CTRL+ALT+F4).

My question is as follows : as this experience proves that the Lucid Lynx binaries can work well on my SIS chips controlled laptop can we expect some upgrades from Ubuntu to solve the problems I met as well as other users, problems related to possible bugs but I am not sure of that or maybe to an installation procedure, which should be improved to have a better recognition of the hardware ?