PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A double boot might work?

pitroadrush
May 23rd, 2010, 01:00 AM
Hello, I'm running a second HD with Windows. Planning to install the other part around 120 g of the HD with ubuntu.
Now when I choose in my bios my second HD to boot.
I will have the option for windows or ubuntu?
previous experiences suggestions.:popcorn:
thanks,
Mk

Gyanos422
May 23rd, 2010, 02:17 AM
Hello, I'm running a second HD with Windows. Planning to install the other part around 120 g of the HD with ubuntu.
Now when I choose in my bios my second HD to boot.
I will have the option for windows or ubuntu?
previous experiences suggestions.:popcorn:
thanks,
Mk

Ok i'm by far no ubuntu expert, but if i understand you, you want to run Ubuntu on one hard drive and Windows on another, and have the option to boot from either one, correct?

If so, this is what i did.

1. since i already had windows installed i just unhooked the windows hard drive, and hooked up a hard drive to install Ubuntu onto.

2. I installed Lucid to the new drive. after installing, i shut down my pc and hooked the windows drive up as the slave drive.

3. booted up, and i started a thread and eventually got this answer from carl4926 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=809261) [Thanks to him again for the help before]

All you need to do is run this from Ubuntu console (this is with both HD's connected)

sudo update-grub

then

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Try to restart and see if it shows up with a boot menu.

note: i have XP installed, so if anyone knows if this is different between xp and vista/7