PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WLan with NetworkManager

HKei
May 22nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
(Ubuntu 10.4 lts)

Hi!

I am new to Ubuntu, and spend the entire afternoon (and a pretty large part of the night) setting up ubuntu. Or rather, setting up Ubuntu itself wasn't so much of a problem as getting my Internet to work was. My Network shows up in NetworkManager, so I suppose my WLan Adapter (WG111v2) was recognized. All my attempts to connect to my home network however failed until now. I can't connect to my Network with either WEP or WPA Personal, the first one doesn't work because (at least I assume that's the cause) my Router uses 64 Bit keys, NetworkManager however keeps asking me for a 128 Bit passphrase for WEP. If I try to use WPA (which I would prefer anyways) I can't select WPA as an option from the dropdown menu of when NetworkManager prompts me to enter a key. However, I can select WPA if I set up a new Network in NetworkManager, however NM seems to refuse to use those settings. I can guarantee that my card supports WPA because I used it earlier when I still had WinXP. I am, to say the least, completely clueless regarding what to do to solve this issue, and appreciate any help (and any attempt to help). Thanks in advance (and for reading).

PS: I've been reading quite a few articles online today, and nothing I found really helped me, so bear with me if this gets complicated. Though I'm all for simple solutions, so if you got a one-line shell command that fixes this that would be cool too :O

Guitar John
May 23rd, 2010, 12:04 AM
What is the output of this command?

lspci -v | less

HKei
May 23rd, 2010, 12:12 AM
it says
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Memory Controller Hub (rev 04)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Memory Controller Hub
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel modules: intel-agp

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL PCI Express Root Port (rev 04)
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=06, subordinate=06, sec-latency=0
I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
Memory behind bridge: d2f00000-d7ffffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: d8000000-dfffffff
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: pcieport-driver
Kernel modules: shpchp

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 814e
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16

thanks for the fast reply