PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to net using LiveCD

Linux_junkie
May 22nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
Hello, I bought a new laptop today to replace my ageing desktop with its dodgy P.S.U. The laptop has Windows Vista pre-installed and have yet to replace it with Ubuntu (but give me time). Anyway I've booted up using my Live CD and have managed to connect to the internet (and this forum). I could not believe how easy it was and I'm not using the hard disk.

Anyone else has worked on their computers using the LiveCD?

Phrea
May 22nd, 2010, 10:32 PM
Lots of times, lots of distro's, for a long time, and it never ceases to amaze me, and all automatically now too !
I even know one or two people who use live cd sessions to do their online banking in an as safe environment as possible [so they say, never done this myself, so don't really know].

There once was a QNX Demo Disk (http://toastytech.com/guis/qnxdemo.html) [live OS on 1 diskette], it came with a host of servers, an actual GUI and webbrowser !
Only a few settings were needed, and I was actually online, with a live diskette, 10 years ago... :o

kaldor
May 22nd, 2010, 11:02 PM
LiveCDs are great for working online; nothing is saved and there's absolutely no chance of getting malware etc because you can just pop out the disc.

10.04LinuxDan
May 22nd, 2010, 11:10 PM
I know what you guys mean. Especially for older computers live cd's without install can save them. I know I was able to save a 12 year old fujitsu laptop with Damn Small Linux.