PDA

View Full Version : I have converted another to Ubuntu...

speedwell68
May 22nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
I have spent the day converting a lady friend of my Dad's to Ubuntu. She has a 4 year old Sony Vaio that was taking 13 minutes to boot under XP. All she really uses the computer for is surfing, Skype and AOL webmail. She also wants a Mac but can't afford one.

She was already using Firefox. So I wiped Windows and installed Lucid. I stripped out all the panels and setup AWN with a Mac wallpaper. I even created a Prism app for accessing her AOL webmail with it's own icon on the dock. To say she is chuffed to bits is an understatement.

Not a bad couple of hours work.:)

Linux_junkie
May 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
Why didn't you simply clean out all the junk apps in XP to speed up her computer? Did she really want to switch to Ubuntu?

speedwell68
May 22nd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Why didn't you simply clean out all the junk apps in XP to speed up her computer? Did she really want to switch to Ubuntu?

She had the differences between XP and Ubuntu explained and wanted to try something new. She isn't very computer literate anyway, only today did she learn to copy and paste.

It was the hassle free computing that Ubuntu offers her that she found attractive. She has had a lot of problems with malicious software, so that aspect of using Ubuntu appealed to her. She finds the whole virus thing intimidating and was very worried about having to update anti-virus software. I did offer to give her a clean install of XP, but after seeing how my computer operated she went for Ubuntu.

I didn't do the whole domineering fanboy thing of insisting that she used Ubuntu, she made an informed decision herself. I feel that helping people like her make informed decisions about how they use a computer is me putting something back. My wife is now going to teach her how to actually use the thing and hopefully get a fuller computing experience.

Sealbhach
May 22nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Looks like you handled it in exactly the right way. However, are you prepared for being her helpdesk for the next few months? I think it would be wrong to set someone up with Ubuntu and not be prepared to support them for at least the first few months.

Matthewthegreat

Why not switch her to ubuntu? It sounds like from the OP that ubuntu would be perfect for her needs.

Phrea
She had the differences between XP and Ubuntu explained and wanted to try something new. She isn't very computer literate anyway, only today did she learn to copy and paste.

It was the hassle free computing that Ubuntu offers her that she found attractive. She has had a lot of problems with malicious software, so that aspect of using Ubuntu appealed to her. She finds the whole virus thing intimidating and was very worried about having to update anti-virus software. I did offer to give her a clean install of XP, but after seeing how my computer operated she went for Ubuntu.

I didn't do the whole domineering fanboy thing of insisting that she used Ubuntu, she made an informed decision herself. I feel that helping people like her make informed decisions about how they use a computer is me putting something back. My wife is now going to teach her how to actually use the thing and hopefully get a fuller computing experience.

Sounds like it was indeed a good decision. :)

tmette
May 22nd, 2010, 11:36 PM
Yea sounds like it's a good decision. I'm sure there are a TON of people out there who would probably appreciated Ubuntu better than Windows. There are a lot of users out there who only use their computers for email, word processing, web surfing, and IMing. They just never try it out (or don't even know it exists) so they always stick with Windows and keep getting viruses and whatnot.

This actually sounds like every person I hung out with in college. I was always their go-to guy for cleaning viruses off of their computers. Let's face it, those guys got a virus about once a month because of the sites they visited. If one of them would have actually been willing to try out Ubuntu for a while, I would have gladly of been their help-desk for years to come. I always mentioned it (didn't force it) but they never wanted to take the time to "learn" or get used to a new OS.

I think you made a good decision.

rp3
May 22nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
I have spent the day converting a lady friend of my Dad's to Ubuntu. She has a 4 year old Sony Vaio that was taking 13 minutes to boot under XP. All she really uses the computer for is surfing, Skype and AOL webmail. She also wants a Mac but can't afford one.

She was already using Firefox. So I wiped Windows and installed Lucid. I stripped out all the panels and setup AWN with a Mac wallpaper. I even created a Prism app for accessing her AOL webmail with it's own icon on the dock. To say she is chuffed to bits is an understatement.

Not a bad couple of hours work.:)

Nicely done, I am typing this on a computer I built for my Sister since her "other" one wouldn't even boot any more... You can guess what OS it was running. There are some tough spots, but thats the fun part of learning. She just doesn't want something that will eventually slow down like her old machine did, not to mention get virii ALL the time. Her son and kids play on it.. So I setup an account for him, and tis quite simple to go see what's he's trying to do... quite funny sometimes...

Oh well anyway, good job...

Chow

kaldor
May 23rd, 2010, 12:08 AM
This is something I believe is fact; Windows in general is not good for a computer illiterate. At all. You all take it for granted because you grew up with it, but it's very hard to understand or teach to a person who is new to computers.

Ubuntu is totally hassle free if given the right hardware. If someone just wants to browse the web with Firefox, why use Windows XP/Vista/7 to do it? Then they/someone else needs to tend on the user to keep it safe, keep it running smooth, etc. Ubuntu is just simple. Linux in general has a learning curve though; don't bother putting Slackware or SUSE on her computer ;)

Windows just has a lot of problems and you need to know how to work around them. Defrags, antivirus, registry cleaning, etc... new computer users would have trouble.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 12:39 AM
I converted 10 people in one day (it was in a classroom and I showed them how to do a dual boot). Beat that. Although one of them took my install 10.04 CD, one of the things that you don't mention was free.

pwnst*r
May 23rd, 2010, 12:51 AM
dual boot would have been the smart thing to do.

Roasted
May 23rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
Very smooth move. For somebody who wants a Mac but can't afford one, you setting up a system for her that can resemble Mac very closely with the addition of a Mac theme and dock was probably one of the wisest choices for her.

I love it when people ask what is on my laptop, how it works, etc. I try to watch who I install Ubuntu for, though. There's some people that I know would be bugging me constantly with hundreds of questions about how to do this or how to do that. I only have installed Ubuntu for a select few that wanted it + I knew would utilize Google before calling me at 7 am on a Saturday morning with questions.

Glad things worked out!

Drybones5
May 23rd, 2010, 01:40 AM
Very smooth move. For somebody who wants a Mac but can't afford one, you setting up a system for her that can resemble Mac very closely with the addition of a Mac theme and dock was probably one of the wisest choices for her.

I love it when people ask what is on my laptop, how it works, etc. I try to watch who I install Ubuntu for, though. There's some people that I know would be bugging me constantly with hundreds of questions about how to do this or how to do that. I only have installed Ubuntu for a select few that wanted it + I knew would utilize Google before calling me at 7 am on a Saturday morning with questions.

Glad things worked out!

When I go places with my laptop, people always ask what I'm on, cause obviously Ubuntu 10.04 looks very different from Windows and this laptop is not a mac.

I show them some stuff, explain that its free, comes with firefox, and its fast

Then I show them my compiz set up (the cube)

But as you said I always try to remember how the person that wants Ubuntu will troubleshoot it.

If they want to try linux I told them that they should install Wubi in windows and or use the live cd I give them. Because once you install, its a pain in the butt to remove grub and the installed ubuntu

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 03:45 AM
When I go places with my laptop, people always ask what I'm on, cause obviously Ubuntu 10.04 looks very different from Windows and this laptop is not a mac.

I show them some stuff, explain that its free, comes with firefox, and its fast

Then I show them my compiz set up (the cube)

But as you said I always try to remember how the person that wants Ubuntu will troubleshoot it.

If they want to try linux I told them that they should install Wubi in windows and or use the live cd I give them. Because once you install, its a pain in the butt to remove grub and the installed ubuntu

Your avatar pic disturbs me.

Kafubie
May 23rd, 2010, 03:47 AM

If she wants a mac... Why do you think she would want to keep Xp?
YOU ARE STUPID!!
stupid stupid buttface!!!
lol :):lolflag::lolflag:

mharrison
May 23rd, 2010, 03:49 AM
your avatar pic disturbs me.

+1

speedwell68
May 23rd, 2010, 03:50 AM
In this case I was always going to be the first line of support. I did explore all the options with her, the concept of a dual boot confused her greatly, as did the concept of Virtualbox. Her criteria were...

She wanted faster booting, she didn't want to have to worry about malicious software, she wanted Firefox as it is what she knows, she wanted to be able to view her AOL Mail in a seperate window and Skype.

So when I could achieve all of that and make it look pretty much like a Mac and be all shiney and new, she was sold on the idea of Ubuntu.

Timmer1240
May 23rd, 2010, 04:34 AM
Good job Ubuntu is better and less troublesome than xp.I switched myself after reading and looking into linux.I always tryed distros with Kde because they were more windows like then I read an article on making hardy haron look like mac osx liked the look and feel of it.Installed Karmic Koala customized it to look mac like and Im happier than Ive ever been with windows!Now I can do what I wanna do instead of the constant maintenance and scanning windows requires!Gnome is awesome like it better than Kde!UBUNTU POWER!

madjr
May 23rd, 2010, 05:16 AM

i LOLed

OP where is the winning desktop screenie?

Your avatar pic disturbs me.

at least 3 avatar pics in this thread are bit disturbing

1roxtar
May 23rd, 2010, 06:44 AM
Looks like you handled it in exactly the right way. However, are you prepared for being her helpdesk for the next few months? I think it would be wrong to set someone up with Ubuntu and not be prepared to support them for at least the first few months.

I read this type of statement a lot, here on the forums. I have helped to install Ubuntu on several friends and family members computers and I find helping them become more familiar with it to be very fulfilling. As it was, I was already helping them fix their busted or virus-laden machines all the time. Now it's more of a learning environment for them, rather than a technical 911 phone call.

Too often, I read about how people are too scared to suggest Ubuntu because it IS somewhat different than their Windows XP, Vista or 7. For those that I have had the privilege of peeling off Windows stickers, the peace of mind they receive about no more malware is enough to help them through the learning curve. Stop being afraid to suggest Ubuntu to those you know. That's why we have a LiveCD/LiveUSB, so we can let them test drive it.

I am a proud user and promoter of Ubuntu!!!
:guitar:

quinnten83
May 23rd, 2010, 08:12 AM
dual boot would have been the smart thing to do.

If she doesn't like Ubuntu, she can always have windows reinstalled. Since Windows wasn't working properly and she wanted something else, there was no need to keep it there.
I know your views on the whole Linux and new users thing, but sometimes switching someone to Linux is a good decision. And there is nothing you can fault the OP for the way he handled this. He did an exemplary job.

quinnten83
May 23rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
I read this type of statement a lot, here on the forums. I have helped to install Ubuntu on several friends and family members computers and I find helping them become more familiar with it to be very fulfilling. As it was, I was already helping them fix their busted or virus-laden machines all the time. Now it's more of a learning environment for them, rather than a technical 911 phone call.

Too often, I read about how people are too scared to suggest Ubuntu because it IS somewhat different than their Windows XP, Vista or 7. For those that I have had the privilege of peeling off Windows stickers, the peace of mind they receive about no more malware is enough to help them through the learning curve. Stop being afraid to suggest Ubuntu to those you know. That's why we have a LiveCD/LiveUSB, so we can let them test drive it.

I am a proud user and promoter of Ubuntu!!!

Also, teamviewer (http://teamviewer.com/index.aspx) now works on linux, so youcan give support from the comfort of your home.

Linux_junkie
May 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
It was interesting to read all your comments on the subject. The reason for my reply was because in the original post I read it that this woman had been pressured in to having Ubuntu installed in place of her XP.

I do agree with you all that education is the key to promoting Ubuntu (or any distro) for Windows users. I do have a problem if I hear someone forcing / pressurising someone to use Linux thats all.

Elfy
May 23rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
...The reason for my reply was because in the original post I read it that this woman had been pressured in to having Ubuntu installed in place of her XP...

Where exactly in the OP do you see that?

Not a bad couple of hours work.

Linux_junkie
May 23rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
There was no mention before hand that this woman wanted him to install Ubuntu but it does say she was pleased after installing it.

Over the years (going back to the 80's) I have been on several computer courses and have seen the computer literuate take over someone else's computer when asking for help or training to perform a task. In the end the person wanting to know how to do something never got to find out because some geek could not teach them.

Reading the original message that the guy was doing something similar with this woman.

formaldehyde_spoon
May 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Always strikes me as odd that here, on a forum dedicated to Ubuntu, that someone who's installed Ubuntu for someone who previously used Windows has to justify their actions to other members, even when he/she specifically says the recipient was happy with the change.

Weird...

Elfy
May 23rd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Always strikes me as odd that here, on a forum dedicated to Ubuntu, that someone who's installed Ubuntu for someone who previously used Windows has to justify their actions to other members, even when he/she specifically says the recipient was happy with the change.

Weird...

Indeed

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM

Weird...

It's because we don't want to force change onto others or else we sound like some proprietary software company who is named after the thing you look out when you want to look at the outdoors without leaving your house.

Elfy
May 23rd, 2010, 12:15 PM
It's because we don't want to force change onto others or else we sound like some proprietary software company who is named after the thing you look out when you want to look at the outdoors without leaving your house.

That doesn't explain why people have to justify things to other people ;)

That just explains why some here want others to justify their actions.

Anyway this is just dragging the thread off topic.

formaldehyde_spoon
May 23rd, 2010, 12:22 PM

You don't want to sound like MS, so you suggest Windows? Hmmm....

Anyway, you don't belong in the ''we'' you keep referring to.

Legendary_Bibo
May 23rd, 2010, 12:34 PM

...wait, what?

formaldehyde_spoon
May 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
...wait, what?

(You were not one of the people my comment was directed at; you didn't encourage/solicit any justification for the OP's actions.)

speedwell68
May 23rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
OP where is the winning desktop screenie?

Here...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/Speedwell68/th_347usy0.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/Speedwell68/?action=view&current=347usy0.jpg)

Schrute Farms
May 23rd, 2010, 06:21 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that doesn't always speed things up to acceptable levels on older computers. After spending a day trying to get rid of a nasty virus last fall, I re-installed XP on this 5 year old laptop. After using the re-install disks to get it back to factory fresh, it ran decent. It only took about a minute after logging in for the disk drive to stop spinning & everything being ready to go. After installing 5 years of Windows updates, it now takes a full 20 minutes after log-in before you can do anything, even after cutting out the unnecessary apps. That's why I made the switch to Ubuntu & have barely looked back.

madjr
May 23rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
There was no mention before hand that this woman wanted him to install Ubuntu but it does say she was pleased after installing it.

Over the years (going back to the 80's) I have been on several computer courses and have seen the computer literuate take over someone else's computer when asking for help or training to perform a task. In the end the person wanting to know how to do something never got to find out because some geek could not teach them.

Reading the original message that the guy was doing something similar with this woman.

release those fears

embrace the future

and start believing !

madjr
May 23rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Here...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/Speedwell68/th_347usy0.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/Speedwell68/?action=view&current=347usy0.jpg)

oh that's cool, i bet shes happy

too bad the wallpaper is unconsciously promoting macOS as her installed OS and thanking apple for solving her problems

i hope she doesnt get confused and start downloading mac software

speedwell68
May 23rd, 2010, 11:09 PM
oh that's cool, i bet shes happy

too bad the wallpaper is unconsciously promoting macOS as her installed OS and thanking apple for solving her problems

i hope she doesnt get confused and start downloading mac software

No she knows it is not a Mac. I chose a Mac wallpaper to see how much like a Mac I could actually get it. I have had about 3 people today believe it was actually a Mac.:D

madjr
May 24th, 2010, 06:18 AM
No she knows it is not a Mac. I chose a Mac wallpaper to see how much like a Mac I could actually get it. I have had about 3 people today believe it was actually a Mac.:D

lol ok

even normal lucid looks macish enough, i had people come up to me asking if it was a mac too

i usually tell them nope is better, cheaper and configurable to whatever you want.