PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing onto acer question(s)

hatridge
May 22nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
acer aspire one series zg5 notebook. The password is lost, and the person who brought me this machine to look at has no software for it. Is it possible to just install Ubuntu from a flash drive since it has no cdrom on it. Or can I attach it somehow to my PC with linux on it. Sorry if I sound green but I will be the first to admit that I am as grass. Is there software that will crack this computer password. This computer is not stolen, however the manual and what ever this machine came with is lost. Would acer be able to help me out? Thanks

darkod
May 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
If you just want to look at the files, you don't even need to install ubuntu. Just run it in live mode from the bootable stick.

However, if you actually want to find out the password, I have no clue how.

And are we talking about windows user password, or BIOS password? If the BIOS is protected to block booting or what ever, you'll probably not be able to boot from the stick too.

hatridge
May 22nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
I am assuming its a bios password. When I press power button I get this message

"Harddisk Security"
"Primary Master Hitachi HTS543216L9ALock"

I get same message after F12.
I get this message at F2

"Enter Current Password?"

_
When I press ESC I get this message on a black screen.

"intel UNDI. Pxe-2.1 (build 082)
copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation"

For realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.09 (080602)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, Check cable
PXE-MOF: exiting devices
No Bootable Device__ insert boot disk and press any key

That led me to think I could boot from a flash drive since there is no CD rom drive?

darkod
May 22nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
You could try, but it sounds like BIOS boot password or some third-party app.

It would be idiotic if you can just bypass it with usb boot. :)

hatridge
May 22nd, 2010, 11:54 PM
ok thanks, I'll try opening machine and if possible, remove battery off of the motherboard and reset it that way. There has to be a way, it would be "idioic" to toss a good machine just because someone lost a password. I'm sure I am not the first one to face this issue. I understand security is an issue however, even with a 500,000 dollar car, you can still start it someway, if you were to lose the key... the manufacturer should be able to reset it right?

Any ideas on those software packages that can supposedly bypass bios passwords. Has anyone had any luck with them? thanks