PDA

View Full Version : Getting around the backlight problem with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid on the Samsung NC20

thomas_toscani
May 22nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
I am posting this to potentially help someone who has installed Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) on their Samsung NC20 netbook.

I've tried every possible solution that I could find on the net to fix the screen brightness keys and get them working so I could increase the screen brightness. Nothing worked.

For most or many people, some of the suggestions will work fine. For those of you who can't get them to work and are stuck with Ubuntu 10.04 on the NC20 with a dimmed-out screen, I have a quick workaround:

When you boot and get to the BIOS password prompt, use the function and up-down array keys to control the brightness there. The screen brightness will be carried through to Ubuntu. You might be able to do this at the GRUB prompt. The point is that the BIOS handles the screen brightness before Ubuntu, so it just works.

I hope this helps. Nothing else worked for me. At least now I can adjust the brightness at boot, and have a workable screen.

moldy
June 3rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
A more permanent solution is described here (not by me): http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9377879&postcount=449