PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] :-( URGENT - unable to install Ubuntu on Compaq C 505 TU

AM_SOS
May 22nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
hello all,
i've got my friend into trouble in my zeal to wean away my friend from windows.
i convinced him to go for a dual boot system of XP and U 9.10. first we successfully installed XP but then got stuck when we were unable to locate the chipset driver - not even the HP website (horrible) had it ! it seemed to offer everything from modem drivers to utilities but there is no trace of the chipset / motherboard drivers.
we then tried to install U 9.10 and got an error message in the middle of the installation process. it has been discussed in this forum but without any clear resolution.
basically, it said the following -

[Errno 5] Input/output error
This particular error is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.
btw, all along we suspected that there could be something wrong with the HDD of his computer which is Compaq Presario C 505 TU.
i then tried to install U 9.10 completely on the HDD and this time got the same error message! similar problems came up when i tried installing with U 8.10 and U 9.04 ...
we finally gave up but did run a HDD test from within the BIOS (Phoenix). The result was clear and we got the message - "SMART pass".
so basically the computer is not working now because there seems to be a problem with the chipset drivers while i can't get any version of Ubuntu to install on the machine !!

really counting on forum members here for a bailout with Ubuntu and if possible with XP too !
thanks for your patience !

dino99
May 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
mini howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14

check to boot (without installing) with the cd/dvd to see if you have chipset issue