PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installed XFCE - changed system branding

epp
May 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
I originally installed ubuntu on a machine, beginning with 7.10, then to 8.04 LTS, then to 10.04 LTS. Because of a change to an IDE/SCSI driver sometime in 2008, no distro released from the autumn of 2008 onward will install on this machine (Compaq Presario 5900Z) directly.

I installed the XFCE desktop on this machine last night and afterwards, it changed the branding. The initial ubuntu splash screen now comes up as xubuntu along with the blue xubuntu graphics at login.

Should that have occurred?

And also, if I switch the desktop environment at the login screen back to GNOME, does the initial splash screen also change back to ubuntu (with their graphics) at the next bootup?

XubuRoxMySox
May 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
It sounds like you installed xubuntu-desktop rather than Xfce-4.

That's where the branding came from.

You may log into to either Gnome or Xfce, but the boot screen probably defaulted to Xubuntu because it is part of the xubuntu-desktop package. It may remain so (on start-up, before choosing a session (either Gnome of Xfce), but that shouldn't matter. If it does you can always remove xubuntu-desktop and replace it with "plain vanilla" Xfce-4.

Hoping that helps,
Robin

epp
May 22nd, 2010, 08:25 PM
I just checked the Synaptic Package Manager, the package xubuntu-desktop itself, is not installed.

Packages installed with xubuntu in the name are:

xubuntu-icon-theme
xubuntu-artwork
xubuntu-plymouth-theme
xubuntu-wallpapers
xubuntu-gdm-theme

I installed the xfce4 meta package as well as xfce4-goodies, one of these must have changed the branding after the install.

In any event, XFCE does run faster than GNOME on this hardware. :)

stanca
May 22nd, 2010, 09:26 PM
It's the xubuntu-plymouth and gdm theme.