PDA

View Full Version : Heeeelllp! :-)

agger
March 23rd, 2006, 10:46 AM
Whereas I know this is hardly a hardware support group, I know there's a lot of experts out there, so please help me out with this one:

Last night, my son spilled lemonade on the keyboard of my one and only laptop :-|

It boots and the mouse and mouse buttons are fine, BUT ...

the keyboard is dead - none of the keys react at all

Can this be repaired? How? What can be done to save my laptop?

Titus A Duxass
March 23rd, 2006, 10:51 AM
Depending on the age of the Laptop, you can buy a new key board.

If you want to have a go your self, google and see if you can find your laptop instruction/user manual.

The key board could be carefully washed and dried after disassembly, but it's not the easiest of tasks and requires hands like a midwife.

KiwiNZ
March 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately Lemonade is almost a saturated solution of sugar and there lays your problem. It will be possible to clean the contacts.It will be a long task and probably expensive. Do you have Insurance?

Even if it is cleaned it will shorten the life span of the unit as decay will set in on the circuits.

Anyway this should be done by an engineer to ensure its done correctly and the unit fully checked.

JoshHendo
March 23rd, 2006, 11:00 AM
Hmm, i think i did that once (to a old keyboard though). A few keys were sticks, though other than that it worked fine. Maybe try to pull every key out and clean it? I droped a keyboard once and all the keys came out... It is worth a try. Just my 2 cents.

agger
March 23rd, 2006, 01:40 PM
OK, thanks for the suggestions ... I think I'll try to find a repair shop.

I do have insurance, but I don't know if they'll cover this sort of accident (but I can find out! :-))

Mr_J_
March 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Like some1 said. Lemonade is almost all sugar, and the main problem would be if this kind of stuff got lower than the keyboard.

I recomend going with it to the place where ur insurance can be used and asking if it's fixable.
If the answer is "hell no! Death by lemonade is not my problem!" then go to a store to see if they can get you a new keyboard, and see if it's cheap enough...

If it's cheap forget about trying to fix it, or fix it and get a new keyboard if u screw up...

Anyway... If you try to fix it and you could have used the insurance; then the insurance is most definatly broken.

My best bet is a short circuit in the connectors of the keyboard, or after it dried, the sugar is stopping the contact from being made in the keyboard connectors.

Anywho... Make sure the insurance can't replace that for free first.

mips
March 23rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
As mentioned here the sugar is the problem.

I would remove the keyboard and dunk it in surgical alcohol or something like that IF it has not components that can be ruined (like capacitors).

Would also be a good idea to check if the liquid did not seep in somewhere else.

What laptop do you have ?

blaire576
April 28th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Unfortunately Lemonade is almost a saturated solution of sugar and there lays your problem. It will be possible to clean the contacts.It will be a long task and probably expensive. Do you have Insurance?

Even if it is cleaned it will shorten the life span of the unit as decay will set in on the circuits.

Anyway this should be done by an engineer to ensure its done correctly and the unit fully checked.

for me just got new full coverage premium for $220 per month my lowest for years see http://www.insurance-quote-free.com (http://www.netquote.com/?nqid=11833&status=00J000E00N00D000) i got to see diff. current insurance price8)