PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Playing

hawaiian1der
May 22nd, 2010, 06:37 AM
I know there is program that teaches you to type, but is there one that teaches you how to play guitar and, if so, is it any good?

undecim
May 22nd, 2010, 08:37 AM
I learned to type by just putting my hands over a keyboard and learning where the keys are. I imagine that you could learn the guitar like that, too.

Swagman
May 22nd, 2010, 08:53 AM
http://www.justinguitar.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buu1NkOs2fk&NR=1

smellyman
May 22nd, 2010, 08:57 AM
Marty Schwartz is the best out there on youtube.

Marty (http://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs)

More advanced Marty stuff.

Advanced Stuff
(http://www.youtube.com/user/guitarjamzdotcom)

Swagman
May 22nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Ya know.. Showing a N00b someone playing so awesome simply puts them off learning.
It makes them feel pathetic and no point in trying.

wilee-nilee
May 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
I know there is program that teaches you to type, but is there one that teaches you how to play guitar and, if so, is it any good?

These on line instructions are probably a okay starting point, but if you want to move forward in a straight line in the quickest manner possible, having the lessons taught by somebody who can watch you will be your best route. A on line tutorial cannot correct subtle technique problems at the least.

Some learn without any help, some have natural gifts, the rest of us had to work at it.

It really depends on what your goals are in the end.

smellyman
May 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM
Marty has tons of super easy beginner lessons.

Frogs Hair
May 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
The hardest part is learning to move your fingers to form chords, so a chord chart and the and the willingness to practice are a must. Many people give up because their fingers tips hurt and hands get sore not because they lack musical ability. The dedication to practice can't be taught.

forrestcupp
May 22nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
These on line instructions are probably a okay starting point, but if you want to move forward in a straight line in the quickest manner possible, having the lessons taught by somebody who can watch you will be your best route. A on line tutorial cannot correct subtle technique problems at the least.

Some learn without any help, some have natural gifts, the rest of us had to work at it.

It really depends on what your goals are in the end.True, but if you really have music in your soul, you know when your subtle techniques are off. Sometimes you know it, but it just takes a lot of practice to get it where you know it should be. I learned to play on my own. But you're right, some people just can't do that.

The hardest part is learning to move your fingers to form chords, so a chord chart and the and the willingness to practice are a must. Many people give up because their fingers tips hurt and hands get sore not because they lack musical ability. The dedication to practice can't be taught.
I agree about the chords. That's a great place to start. A lot of books make you spend a long time learning notes, and that gets boring. If you learn all the major chords, chord patterns, and strumming patterns, you'll be able to play some nice sounding stuff quickly. That will make you want to keep playing.

The finger tips get sore, and you'll be picking the skin off the end of your fingers for the rest of your life. But it doesn't take that long to get callouses, and it won't hurt anymore.

ikt
May 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM

Great question, I'm also looking to learn playing guitar.

pwnst*r
May 22nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Online tutorials are nice - wish I had that when I started ;) A combination of both online and real lessons would be ideal. I would stress though that once you have the basic chords, you should shy away from tabs and train your ear by learning the songs by experimenting. Do NOT underestimate training that ear.

hawaiian1der
May 22nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
Wow, that's a lot of responses. Thanks! I think I'll try Marty out.

Koosti
May 22nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
I might be a bit old fashioned here, but why not just go to your public library (or even a bookstore if you don't mind paying) and pick up a guitar beginners guide?

Should give you the most basic and commonly used chords, terminology and some simple exercises to get going with... Then just continue with more advanced stuff, learning tabs from sites like ultimate-guitar.com, etcetc... Plus, I find a paper copy much more comfortable to look at while exercising than my monitor. Might be because I can just sit on the living room floor, but whatever.

sandyd
May 22nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
True, but if you really have music in your soul, you know when your subtle techniques are off. Sometimes you know it, but it just takes a lot of practice to get it where you know it should be. I learned to play on my own. But you're right, some people just can't do that.

I agree about the chords. That's a great place to start. A lot of books make you spend a long time learning notes, and that gets boring. If you learn all the major chords, chord patterns, and strumming patterns, you'll be able to play some nice sounding stuff quickly. That will make you want to keep playing.

The finger tips get sore, and you'll be picking the skin off the end of your fingers for the rest of your life. But it doesn't take that long to get callouses, and it won't hurt anymore. Thats one of the reasons why I play electric guitar, not acoustic :P

Ruzbeh
May 22nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Thats one of the reasons why I play electric guitar, not acoustic :P
Other way around for me. Someone recommended me to start with acoustic because I might be a better player because of it 'in the end'.

sandyd
May 22nd, 2010, 10:20 PM
Other way around for me. Someone recommended me to start with acoustic because I might be a better player because of it 'in the end'.

it was easier for me to start from electric, because I already played keyboard, and I had a good ear. ( I could, and still can get 100% on ear tests)....

forrestcupp
May 22nd, 2010, 11:03 PM
When I first started learning guitar, someone told me that I should take lessons just long enough to get a good start, then learn the rest on my own. They said that if I take lessons for too long, then I'll never have my own style.

Thats one of the reasons why I play electric guitar, not acoustic :PI got my callouses on an electric guitar before I even played acoustic. You'll kill your finger tips no matter what kind of guitar you play. But it doesn't take long to get past that stage.

If you think acoustic guitars are hard on your finger tips, try playing bass. ;)

mihai.ile
May 22nd, 2010, 11:30 PM
Hello.
I am also starting to learn guitar (acoustic one), as my girlfriend gave me one @ my anniversary.
I found http://www.learnandmaster.com/guitar/ a very good resource (not free). I downloaded them from the net first to see what actually is, and if it works out I might buy it. The videos lessons seem very well made (8GB total :X).

P.S: This (http://openmindedbrain.info/24/04/2010/baton-rouge-r14ce-black/) is my guitar :D

Oh.. yes I know... I reverted the system... first try then pay, I know.
If those paid video lessons weren't available on net 4free I wouldn't even found them in the first place so... :)

OFFTOPIC: now that I think about, I really think the seller->customer system on the net does not fit in the same way like real one with content like video/music/those lessons.... That is why we have all this piracy stuff around I think.

pwnst*r
May 22nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
it was easier for me to start from electric, because I already played keyboard, and I had a good ear. ( I could, and still can get 100% on ear tests)....

Ear tests? I think you're confusing having good hearing tests results with having or developing a musical ear. Unless you're deaf, they shouldn't be compared.

Zoot7
May 22nd, 2010, 11:56 PM
Back when I started playing I took lessons for a few months to get the likes of the basic scales and chord shapes down and then tackled the more advanced techniques on my own. Personally I think lessons are probably the best route to go just to get the basics down, as you'll learn stuff faster IMO. However there are some pretty good resources such as the Books complete with CDs that you can buy. Depends really.

Thats one of the reasons why I play electric guitar, not acoustic :P
Ah, the good ol' electric v acoustic argument. I was always one for some of the more intricid stuff like pinch harmonics, tapping, legato and whammy dives, so I'd have to go with the electric myself too! :)

wilee-nilee
May 24th, 2010, 02:15 AM
When I first started learning guitar, someone told me that I should take lessons just long enough to get a good start, then learn the rest on my own. They said that if I take lessons for too long, then I'll never have my own style.

That is somebody's opinion that worked for themselves. As a former professional Jazz musician that plays almost all of the reeds and the fretless bass, guitar, drums, and piano, I would never have gotten to the level of experience and capabilities I have without some lessons to learn correct technique. I would also disagree that any natural ability or music in your soul will define the correct technique. Music as a pursuit is no different then any other mechanical based practice attribute. You wouldn't tell a brain surgeon to just figure it out you want a person to have perfect technique. Not the best of analogies but I think relevent.

The creativity comes with the technique, the better you can manipulate the instrument the more creativity you will have.

As I originally suggested it depends on where your goals are, if you want to play the guitar like Steve Vai, or Buckethead, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Eric Clapton, or Allen Holdsworth you better be ready to take lessons and practice at about a 4 hour a day level for about 5 years, just to start with.

These people did not get there by messing around, and faking it.

Here is a link to Steve Vai's wiki you will notice who he took lessons from and who his influences are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Vai

I will say though that I have friends that have no musical training and are very creative, but when it comes to being able to play in any genre, and whip it out as Frank Zappa says they fail.

sandyd
May 24th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Ear tests? I think you're confusing having good hearing tests results with having or developing a musical ear. Unless you're deaf, they shouldn't be compared.
we have ear tests at the AMC/RCM examinations.

Typically, they test you on... well...
take a look @ this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&oi=video_result&cad=6824339601486764350&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CBIQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXrT ste0_2T4&ei=Rtb5S8GSD4HGlQetvZz5Cg&usg=AFQjCNE9g2eUhyGjs7UXTmjIpLkzpVEUjg&sig2=f2jTrWKvtY6rtQ550HMP_A

pwnst*r
May 24th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Lol, well yes, that's entirely different - and very cool.

wilee-nilee
May 24th, 2010, 02:46 AM
That is not a bad way to learn intervals. When I was in music school the easiest way to recognize intervals was to equate them with a song, such as the 4th interval, is the 1st two notes of the wedding march. The teacher I took music theory and ear training from was the principal Bass player in the Symphony and a Juilliard Graduate his wife was the principal violin in the Opera orchestra, and a Juillaird graduate, both PhD's. I have a friend who teaches there now.

There are some standardized ways of learning such as the Suzuki method, and just learning to read music and using correct technique. Really in the end there is a reason why there are standardized training, it produces the best players. You wont find a single classical musician that is respected that didn't follow a standards method of training, or playing in a Orchestra. Astandard method will separate the wheat from the chaff and get you there faster.

I think we all want to feel like we are individuals and a non standard methodology or learning it yourself seems tempting but the statistics show otherwise.

forrestcupp
May 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM
That is somebody's opinion that worked for themselves. As a former professional Jazz musician that plays almost all of the reeds and the fretless bass, guitar, drums, and piano, I would never have gotten to the level of experience and capabilities I have without some lessons to learn correct technique. I would also disagree that any natural ability or music in your soul will define the correct technique. Music as a pursuit is no different then any other mechanical based practice attribute. You wouldn't tell a brain surgeon to just figure it out you want a person to have perfect technique. Not the best of analogies but I think relevent.

Well, I don't disagree at all with you on that. Like you said, it depends on your goals. If you want to go to that level, then you'll have to have a lot of teaching.

But just to clear things up, I wasn't talking about just picking up a guitar and knowing how to play because "it's in your soul." I was talking about learning on your own without having a human teacher the whole time. If you have one human teacher, you're bound to end up playing the same style as your teacher. I guess another way around that would be to have several human teachers.