PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] running headless + vnc

jsteezy
May 22nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
I want to be able to turn on the computer, then vnc into it without using a keyboard on the computer itself. My goal is to just leave it plugged into my tv acting as a file+music server, and then if I wanted to watch something on the tv I would be able to just switch the input on the tv to the computers video output. I have all this set up and working properly, but if I need to restart the computer, I have to have a keyboard plugged into it so I can login, I can then immediately start the vnc client on my laptop. I read a few guides but they all seemed outdated and I couldnt follow them. Any help is appreciated, thanks

ayenack
May 22nd, 2010, 01:15 AM
You may be better off installing SSH.

Take a look at this.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH (Follow the links at the bottom of the page.)

To restart the comp in an ssh session you'd do this.

sudo reboot

To shutdown you'd do this.

sudo shutdown now

An alternative to VNC is FreeNX with SSH.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX

nhasian
May 25th, 2010, 12:48 AM
jsteezy,

I'm bumping your thread because i would like an answer to this question as well. Let me know if you found the solution for the issue.

jsteezy
May 25th, 2010, 06:14 AM
When I use NX it starts a new session on the client computer, so nothing I do from the client computer is reflected on the monitor of the server computer. I am able to login this way without touching the server, so I guess this sort of solved my problem.

Is there some command I can use to switch the server to reflect what I am doing with the client? Im sure I am using all the wrong terms here, I apologize, like I said I am new to linux in general but if someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

bodhi.zazen
May 25th, 2010, 06:56 AM
jsteezy,

I'm bumping your thread because i would like an answer to this question as well. Let me know if you found the solution for the issue.

Use ssh.

You do not need to ssh into the box to reboot, simply use ssh

ssh user@server sudo reboot

You do not need a VNC server or Freenx to issue a reboot command.

You can do all your sysadmin with ssh , forward X applications if needed
ssh -X user@server

If you need to admin a server, and you want a graphical interface, use webmin.

jsteezy
May 25th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I dont need to admin much, I have everything set up the way I want server-wise (files, printers, web), to the point where as long as the server is turned on everything runs. I run into problems when I switch the TV to the computers video output and then try to VNC in. At that point I cannot do anything on the TV, unless I attach a keyboard to the server and login, and then VNC after that. I can ssh into it without logging in with a keyboard but then nothing I do shows up on the TV.

nhasian
May 25th, 2010, 08:44 AM
You can do all your sysadmin with ssh , forward X applications if needed
ssh -X user@server

Thanks for the tip. although i've used ssh for terminal stuff, i didn't know I could forward X applications with the -X switch.

I think that jsteezy and I however may be encountering a bug? Or maybe is a security feature :) I have my HTPC running Ubuntu 10.04 DE set to auto-login so the desktop comes right up. When I try to use the Remote Desktop Viewer from my laptop however, a dialogue box appears saying:

"Unlock Login Keyring
Enter password to unlock your login keyring
The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer"

it prompts me for my password before allowing me to remote access into the HTPC which defeats the whole purpose.

johnyates
May 25th, 2010, 09:46 PM
http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntu_auto_login_problem_solved