PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I installed kde and got rid of it and got leftovers

oleink
May 21st, 2010, 09:37 PM
hey I'm pretty new to desktop environments and I installed kde to see what it was like (didn't like it went back to using gnome) but all the kde packages were kept. For instance

-My mouse pointer is still the kde look
-I've got kde stuff in my applications folder.

How can I get rid of these and if I have to uninstall each manually thats ok but how do I get my regular mouse back??

SlidingHorn
May 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
First, a disclaimer:

Please do not do this until someone more experienced comes along to verify or deny what I'm about to tell you.

I believe that in order to remove configuration files for KDE you would have to purge instead of the usual 'remove'. However, @ this point, since you've already uninstalled KDE, purging would simply say it's no longer installed. So:

1. Re-install KDE

sudo apt-get install kde-desktop

2. Purge it

sudo apt-get remove --purge kde-desktop

The reason I ask you not do this until someone else verifies what I'm saying is I'm not sure 'purge' won't remove any vital configuration files needed by gnome

oldfred
May 21st, 2010, 10:15 PM
I did the same thing with 9.04 and never got rid of everything, primarily because I liked several KDE apps like K3b, kmymoney & a few others. Each of those install various dependencies and would also be uninstalled if I removed all of KDE.

You can uninstall as above but if concerned you can reinstall the entire standard desktop with
apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Joe of loath
May 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM
The cursor is a bug, I had that problem a while back and found a way to fix it. JFGI ;)

To be safe I'd remove the applications manually, one at a time. When I tried to remove KDE as a whole on fedora 12 it broke my installation.

wojox
May 21st, 2010, 10:25 PM
I've always used psychocats link for that Getting Back to a Pure Gnome on Ubuntu (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome)

oleink
May 22nd, 2010, 04:12 AM
I've always used psychocats link for that Getting Back to a Pure Gnome on Ubuntu (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome)
trying this and if it doesn't work trying this: (ill post my results after
[QUOTE]
I believe that in order to remove configuration files for KDE you would have to purge instead of the usual 'remove'. However, @ this point, since you've already uninstalled KDE, purging would simply say it's no longer installed. So:

1. Re-install KDE
Code:
sudo apt-get install kde-desktop
2. Purge it
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge kde-desktop
The reason I ask you not do this until someone else verifies what I'm saying is I'm not sure 'purge' won't remove any vital configuration files needed by gnome[Quote]

oleink
May 22nd, 2010, 04:29 AM
First one didn't work:(

oleink
May 22nd, 2010, 04:42 AM
and the 2nd. My boot screen says kubuntu now instead of ubuntu too..

oleink
May 22nd, 2010, 04:57 AM
Nevermind after a quick restart I found it worked. Thanks a million to you all for you help I no longer have a kubuntu start up ubuntu login and a mixed array of loading symbols and window grabbing symbols. Just back to good old clean Gnome. Ok I know everyone argues over Gnome vs KDE but idk if i could ever work in kde its kind of ugly, boring, and hard to move around in