PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Why Can't I Get Rid of Those Gnome Menu Icons Anymore?

NotPhil
May 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM
I just upgraded to Lucid Lynx from Hardy Heron and discovered that I could no longer remove menu and button icons through the Appearance Preferences.

After a little research I found a similar setting in gconf-editor (buttons_have_icons and menus_have_icons, both now unchecked), which works for everything except the Gnome Main Menu and Firefox.

I eventually found a way to get rid of menu icons in Firefox (http://www.ghacks.net/2009/05/11/how-to-remove-favicons-in-firefox-bookmarks/), but can't find any information on how to get rid of them in the Gnome Main Menu.

Does anyone know how to do this, or, if not, does anyone know when Gnome will be fixing this bug?

Frogs Hair
May 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
The only way I know of is to un-check the boxes from the main menu under preferences. To delete items click on the item
and select delete from the right side of the main menu.

NotPhil
May 23rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
The only way I know of is to un-check the boxes from the main menu under preferences.Thanks for replying, but I wanted to remove the menu icons, not the menu items.

Apparently, someone decided to hard-code the icon-display function in the Gnome Main Menu after some users got ticked-off when Gnome made no-icons-in-menus the default setting.

The only way around this I've found is to download the Gnome Color Chooser, click on the Icons tab, and make the icons one pixel in size. They're still there, but they're barely noticeable.

Someone really should fix this so users can choose between menu icons or no menu icons without having to use a kludge like this.

andy.thornton
August 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I would love to see this fixed, I run Lucid on my netbook and removing the icons frees up a lot of screen real estate.