PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB_DEFAULT=saved not working after 9.10 -> 10.04 upgrade (grub 1.98)

stegemangreg
May 21st, 2010, 05:10 PM
Is the "saved" option for grub2 not available after the new upgrade?

I had grub2 setup to let me load either windows or ubuntu, whichever I last used, and it worked. After the last update to Ubuntu I cannot get this to work anymore. I can successfully change the default boot entry by entering a number, e.g. "GRUB_DEFAULT=3" but when I put in "GRUB_DEFAULT=saved" it always defaults to the first entry, the latest Ubuntu. I can also change the screen resolution for the grub menu on this computer, but on another computer I cannot change the screen resolution for grub or restore the 'saved' option (I have not tried to change the boot default by numbers on this other computer though).

I am only editing /etc/default/grub and running update-grub, is there another script or file I should be changing as well since the update?

Thank you

Navario
May 23rd, 2010, 12:07 AM
I had the same problem but adding GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true in /etc/default/grub as suggested in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1417361&highlight=GRUB_DEFAULT%3Dsaved did solve it.