PDA

View Full Version : Gaming laptops

Viva
May 21st, 2010, 01:23 PM
Just noticed this article (http://computershopper.com/laptops/gaming-laptops/top-5-gaming-laptops) about gaming laptops. How sensible is it to use a laptop for gaming?

3rdalbum
May 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM
A good desktop graphics card will be sitting in a large dual-slot or even triple-slot cooling shroud with a big fan on one end, and an inlet or outlet (outside the computer case) at the other end.

You simply can't get that sort of processing power into a laptop, because there is not enough airflow and not enough room to disperse the heat. Also, the computer's power supply is smaller because it has to be able to run from a battery.

My desktop has a GTX260 graphics card. This is a big piece of equipment; it barely fits into a regular ATX case, and it requires two PCI-E power plugs and a reasonable power supply. When you see that a laptop has a "GTX260", this is a mobile version and is heavily cut down in order to run off a little battery and not generate too much heat.

My desktop GTX260 pwns any mobile version of this GPU. It's probably even superior to the BEST mobile GPUs.

The same goes with CPUs; the mobile versions of a particular CPU will be weak compared to the desktop versions. And I'm pretty sure that laptop motherboards have lower power and performance, also due to heat and energy concerns.

Finally, I wonder whether these 'gaming notebooks' actually have keyboards that can hold a candle to the Razer Arctosa I am using right now - a proper gaming keyboard. And none of these 'gaming notebooks' have a mouse either, only a trackpad - what's up with that, nobody plays games using a trackpad!

Gaming notebooks are just an attempt to create a new market category. The unfortunate people who buy these machines will find that they'll be using low detail settings and lower resolutions; and they will not do as well at their games as someone who is using a desktop (unless they bring an Arctosa and a Deathadder along with them).

pwnst*r
May 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
A good desktop graphics card will be sitting in a large dual-slot or even triple-slot cooling shroud with a big fan on one end, and an inlet or outlet (outside the computer case) at the other end.

You simply can't get that sort of processing power into a laptop, because there is not enough airflow and not enough room to disperse the heat. Also, the computer's power supply is smaller because it has to be able to run from a battery.

My desktop has a GTX260 graphics card. This is a big piece of equipment; it barely fits into a regular ATX case, and it requires two PCI-E power plugs and a reasonable power supply. When you see that a laptop has a "GTX260", this is a mobile version and is heavily cut down in order to run off a little battery and not generate too much heat.

My desktop GTX260 pwns any mobile version of this GPU. It's probably even superior to the BEST mobile GPUs.

The same goes with CPUs; the mobile versions of a particular CPU will be weak compared to the desktop versions. And I'm pretty sure that laptop motherboards have lower power and performance, also due to heat and energy concerns.

Finally, I wonder whether these 'gaming notebooks' actually have keyboards that can hold a candle to the Razer Arctosa I am using right now - a proper gaming keyboard. And none of these 'gaming notebooks' have a mouse either, only a trackpad - what's up with that, nobody plays games using a trackpad!

Gaming notebooks are just an attempt to create a new market category. The unfortunate people who buy these machines will find that they'll be using low detail settings and lower resolutions; and they will not do as well at their games as someone who is using a desktop (unless they bring an Arctosa and a Deathadder along with them).

^absolutely this.

I also have a GTX 260 and an Antec 1200 case and that GTX is a monster. Real gamers choose desktops. Fact.

http://www.overclock.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Antec_1200_Pics_005.jpg

^not my setup, but same case/lights

Grenage
May 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
How sensible is it to use a laptop for gaming?

Decent gaming laptops are incredibly expensive, and not worth the money. A few hundred quid will get you a decent gaming desktop.

Zyrtec
May 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
Building a good desktop is even better, and can be much much cheaper. It's also quite enjoyable :)

aeiah
May 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
spend the money you save by buying a gaming desktop instead on a netbook, and a console :p much better solution than a gaming laptop

CharlesA
May 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM
I was originally going to get a "gaming" laptop, but it is totally not worth it: Too expensive, smallish screen, runs hot as hell, crap battery life, etc.

I got a netbook instead, and altho the screen is tiny, it works fine for browsing and whatnot. My desktop would blow away any gaming laptop, except maybe for an Alienware (but those are insanely expensive).

The only downside to a netbook is the small screen, which makes it a bit hard to watch full screen movies on it.

Viva
May 21st, 2010, 03:54 PM

How much did it cost you to build that desktop?

Grenage
May 22nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
Why stop there, turn your computer INTO a desk! That's what I did, lol:

http://www.grenage.com/pc.jpg

juancarlospaco
May 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.grenage.com/pc.jpg

http://www.supermodding.com/resources/aerosol_removedor_de_particulas_aire_comprimido.jp g

Grenage
May 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
I'm guessing that's compressed air? ;)

Frogs Hair
May 22nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
I could build a heck of a nice desktop for those prices.

chris200x9
May 22nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
I'm sorry are these top choices a joke? I mean I only really compared the last one, "surprisingly low pricing" 1259 for only a 4650 and core 2 duo cpu...:confused: