PDA

View Full Version : [other] Not sure where I should post this but......

GameDog(A)
May 21st, 2010, 09:26 AM
i was wondering what is Backtrack Linux? And how does it compare to Ubuntu as a Linux distro?

CSInDevelopment
May 21st, 2010, 09:36 AM
It is based on Ubuntu but mostly used for cracking and securing networks
I used it but...lets put it this wya their new codename is "pwnsauce"
I would stick with ubuntu and possibly add the repositories if you need anything specific

GameDog(A)
May 21st, 2010, 11:17 PM
Thank you

SlidingHorn
May 21st, 2010, 11:19 PM

I just fell out of my chair :lolflag:

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 21st, 2010, 11:48 PM
It is not your normal OS distro. It is specialized for a purpose. You can read a little about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BackTrack.

2hot6ft2
May 22nd, 2010, 12:14 AM
It is based on Ubuntu but mostly used for cracking and securing networks
I would stick with ubuntu and possibly add the repositories if you need anything specific
This is just wrong!

It's a distribution for use by security professionals. Go to their forum and mention something having to do with cracking or any other illegal activities and see what the response is.
The filesystem has been modified greatly so trying to add their apps. to ubuntu is more entailed that you let on.

The quieter you become the more you are able to hear.

recluce
May 22nd, 2010, 12:46 AM
Backtrack, just like Metasploit and others are just tools, highly specialized, to run all kinds of penetration tests and attacks. They are just like locksmith tools in that they can both be used for legitimate purposes (the locksmith opening that apartment door after you lost your key, the security professional evaluating possible vulnerabilities in a network/system in order fix them) and illegal purposes (the criminal breaking into your house or the hacker attacking some network/system).

Basically, the only difference between me (a "white hat") running a penetration test on a customer's network and a hacker (a "black hat") is that I have a written form of consent from said customer (also called "get of of jail card") - and that I do not try to harm a network/system, if I should be able to get access.