PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] init: "rc-default" main process (4429) terminated with status 127

frogging
May 21st, 2010, 03:28 AM
OK so I have a Dell Dimension 2400 2.2Mhz with 40g hd and 512 mb ram. I went to do a upgrade from Ubuntu 8.4 LTS to 10.4 and it failed said it was missing files and it rolled back to my settings. Then the next day it said I had updates 379 and I said OK and it updated. And I got a white screen. So I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the mood I got into but it is the same as safe mood in Windows. I went to uninstall compiz cause it messes with Dell drivers. I told me it needed to remove 217 other packages I clicked OK. One of the packages it removed was the gnome system monitor (on another computer I was in GYachE loggedn into yahoo computer chat in the "Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris:1" chat room seeking help from someone told me on this Dell to remove compiz and that corrected my graphic problem. This is a Dell Optiplex GX115) when it got done removing all 217 packages I rebooted to get a clean start up and got this error < init: rc-default main process (4286) terminated with status 127 > I have tried to use recovery mood. There are 2 on the start up screen when you hold Esc Key when the Grub starts. I have tried both. Both terminate with status 127.

OK so here is what it's doing it boots I hit Esc I hit Now if I tell it to run the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, kerne; 2.6.24-27-generic (recovery mode) it goes through and does all the checks sets up all the hardware then here is where it hangs and gives this error.

* Mounting local filesystems... (OK)
* Activating swapfile swap... (OK)
* checking minimum space in /tmp... (OK)
* Configuring network interfaces... (OK)
* Setting up concole fong and keymap... (OK)
init: rc-default main process (4286) terminated with status 127

Now if I tell it to run the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, kerne; 2.6.24-27-generic
it sets every thing up and hangs here

* Mounting local filesystems... (OK)
* Activating swapfile swap... (OK)
* checking minimum space in /tmp... (OK)
* Configuring network interfaces... (OK)
init: rc-default main process (4286) terminated with status 127

and I should say also that if I do the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, kerne; 2.6.24-27-generic
the screen that comes up is the 8.4LTS logo not the 10.4LTS logo

Sorry for such a long post but feel Like I need to give as much detail as possable to see if some one can help. Now I did run Knoppix Live CD and I can get into my flies on the HD.

Can someone please help[-o<

frogging
May 22nd, 2010, 05:07 AM
Well I fixed it cause I see no one can answer anything 69 folks read this and no reply's Thats way I go to the chat room. But yet you folks are supposed to be the support for Ubuntu what a real joke. Yes I am very angry that the only way I could see to fix this was to reinstall cause no one has an answer Not a F**K you, sorry I can't help, Some one will be with you, we are working on a seclusion, Nothing. Is this how you all treat all the folks that are new to Ubuntu? OH but watch this post will get 1000 reply's!!!! =;