PDA

View Full Version : New Android OS turns handsets into mobile hotspots

Sporkman
May 20th, 2010, 10:47 PM
New Android OS turns handsets into mobile hotspots

Coming soon to an Android smartphone near you, version 2.2 of Google's mobile OS boasts the ability to turn "certain" Android handsets into mobile Wi-Fi hotspots, capable of wirelessly sharing their 3G connections with up to eight other Wi-Fi-enabled devices...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/20100520/tc_ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2168

samalex
May 20th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I was 'watching' the Google I/O conference earlier via various live blogs all day yesterday and today, and yeah Android 2.2 is going to be awesome! I also can't wait for Google TV when it's released later this year. We have AppleTV, and I like it for what it does, but from the demo they had of GoogleTV I really think it's what will launch television into the current century.

Also I'm holding out for a good Android tablet as well, though I'd LOVE to get my hands on an iPad :) Personally though, I want a division between my Android device and my phone because I don't want my experience to be tied to a cell phone carrier.

Take care -

Sam

pookiebear
May 20th, 2010, 11:52 PM
yep 2.2, getting closer to dumping my cable co for good.
Going to test RDP access into work on it, and if it is smooth, buh-bye cable.

kernelhaxor
May 21st, 2010, 12:33 AM
I was 'watching' the Google I/O conference earlier via various live blogs all day yesterday and today, and yeah Android 2.2 is going to be awesome! I also can't wait for Google TV when it's released later this year. We have AppleTV, and I like it for what it does, but from the demo they had of GoogleTV I really think it's what will launch television into the current century.

Also I'm holding out for a good Android tablet as well, though I'd LOVE to get my hands on an iPad :) Personally though, I want a division between my Android device and my phone because I don't want my experience to be tied to a cell phone carrier.

Take care -

Sam

It'd be interesting to see how Google TV turns out ... It's an area where a lot of companies have tried and failed (including Apple)

Sub101
May 21st, 2010, 12:36 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/20100520/tc_ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2168

You can already do this on android handsets. The rooted ones at least.

Merk42
May 21st, 2010, 01:09 AM
yep 2.2, getting closer to dumping my cable co for good.
Going to test RDP access into work on it, and if it is smooth, buh-bye cable.

Might want to check your phone's bandwidth cap before thinking about dumping cable