PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Operating Systems You wish had more people/Developers

Ravernomina
May 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM
As the Top says List Your Most Wanted Open Source OS that you wish was still in development.

Open Darwin: I Think if it had more Devs, Time, and Beta testers i think it would be an amazing OS to even compete With Linux.

praveesh
May 20th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Haiku

madjr
May 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM
linux still needs more Devs

the other OSs dont have more devs for a reason: we need em here :D

Ylon
May 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Minix

juancarlospaco
May 20th, 2010, 02:31 PM
If Darwin advance get FSCKed by Apple.

samalex
May 20th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Haiku

I agree... I loved BeOS and ran it for a short time (like a week) around 2000 or 2001, but went back to Linux due to a lack of software support. Haiku is very promising, but yeah it needs more app developers to bring some core functionality into the OS before it'll be much useful.

Also FLOSS Weekly interviewed one of the lead developers of Haiku this week if you haven't caught it - http://twit.tv/floss120 .

Some neat stuff coming down the pipe, and per the netcast they even got Webkit to compile under Haiku, so maybe we'll see a decent browser for it some day with HTML5 support since Flash probably won't ever be available for Haiku.

I'd also love to see one of the AmigaOS derivatives come back, whether it be AnigaOS, AROS, or MorphOS.

Sam

m4tic
May 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM
1.Syllable Desktop OS
2. ReactOS

They aren't linux but still OpenSource

Sporkman
May 20th, 2010, 03:47 PM
m4tic-

Your blog stinks! :)

Shining Arcanine
May 20th, 2010, 03:58 PM
As the Top says List Your Most Wanted Open Source OS that you wish was still in development.

Open Darwin: I Think if it had more Devs, Time, and Beta testers i think it would be an amazing OS to even compete With Linux.

I wish that Gentoo Linux had more developers. It is an awesome operating system and it deserves more attention. I have been busy filing bug reports, but its main issue is a lack of maintainers. While a subset of its packages, such as KDE, are always up to date, others such as gnome, do not get as much attention. That is why gnome is still at version 2.28 in its tree.