PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu one is scary!

rax_m
May 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Hi,

I just installed Lucid recently and setup Ubuntu one on my new laptop.

I'm trying to figure out how Ubuntu One knew that I had mobile phone? It knew the make and model number. I don't recall adding that anywhere?

Anyone know how this works?

Cheers
Rax

dearingj
May 20th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Do your phone and computer support bluetooth? My only guess is that they might have detected each other that way.

Paqman
May 20th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Is your phone connected to your computer?

ssj6akshat
May 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Ubuntu one has mobile phone contact syncing that comes with the paid service but is available for free for 30 days I think.

rax_m
May 20th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Both my laptop and phone support bluetooth, however I don't think I ever connected the two together (I've only had the laptop for 5 days). And Bluetooth is normally switched off on my phone.

However, I have connected that phone to another netbook that is also linked onto Ubuntu one.

Surely I should be asked permission first to send that info?

ipatfrmww
May 20th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Did it know your phone number?
cause THAT would be scary, other wise it probably was just the bluetooth

rax_m
May 20th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure it knew my number... But I'll have to check when I get back home 'cos I can't access Ubuntu one from work.

Paqman
May 20th, 2010, 11:40 AM
However, I have connected that phone to another netbook that is also linked onto Ubuntu one.

Surely I should be asked permission first to send that info?

Why would it need your permission to send your info to yourself?

gnomeuser
May 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM
You must have installed the Little Sister expansion, which carefully hides cameras in your home, workplaces and bedroom.. for purposes of providing you a more comfortable computing experience..

Ubuntu One.. remember, we know where you live and we have your data.

rax_m
May 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM
You must have installed the Little Sister expansion, which carefully hides cameras in your home, workplaces and bedroom.. for purposes of providing you a more comfortable computing experience..

Ubuntu One.. remember, we know where you live and we have your data.

LOL

I guess the info is really to myself.. however, it is now storing this info somewhere on the interweb. I think I would just prefer to confirm that I am ok with it.
I have nothing to hide.... I think ;)

Paqman
May 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM
it is now storing this info somewhere on the interweb.

Amazon S3, I believe. If you're concerned about privacy, Ubuntu has plenty of options for encryption.