PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Finally Realizes What We All Knew...

endersshadow
March 23rd, 2006, 02:32 AM
http://www.businessweek.com/mediacenter/podcasts/techmaven/techandu_03_09_06.htm

Microsoft's Next Browser

Back in the mid-1990s, security experts warned Microsoft that integrating a Web browser deeply into Windows was a mistake. A decade and countless security vulnerabilities later, Microsoft is tacitly conceding the critics had it right. The new version of Internet Explorer to be released as part of the Vista version of Windows this fall -- and separately for Windows XP -- loses much of the privileged relationship with Windows that the Microsoft browser has long enjoyed.

Regardless of what you think of Windows, I think that we can all agree that a secure internet benefits us all. With Microsoft finally modulating IE, it should be easier (relative term) to uninstall from Windows, and it will certainly make the system much more secure. It only took ten years, but hey, let's not drag up ancient history...

Modulation 1, Integration 0

Next: The Registry!

P.S.-This isn't an "OMG M$ SUXORZ!!!!1111!!!!eleven11!!" thread...it's a thread to always remember the valuable lesson that Microsoft Windows taught us: Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER integrate a program that speaks to the internet into the OS at an almost irreversable level.

Qrk
March 23rd, 2006, 02:45 AM
Vista is starting to look better then, isn't it.

Perhaps it is worth the upgrade afterall. (Note, by worth it, I have to mention that Vista will cost me $5 at my university.)

endersshadow
March 23rd, 2006, 03:03 AM
Vista is starting to look better then, isn't it.

Perhaps it is worth the upgrade afterall. (Note, by worth it, I have to mention that Vista will cost me $5 at my university.)

Yeah, we have XP Pro for $15 here, but it's an "Upgrade." Anyway, I needed to fixmbr my friend's computer, and all she had were like 10 recovery disks. So I walk in, and the cashier asks me what I'm using now, for demographics, and I said, "I'm not upgrading, I just need fixmbr, and this little puppy's got it in the recovery console." So she said, "So I should put down XP Home?" I said, "No, put down Ubuntu - You bee you en tee you." She wrote it down and then replied, "Um, you know that this is just an upgrade right?" I laughed and walked out...Redmond now has a sheet that says that somebody purchased an XP Pro copy to upgrade from Ubuntu :-D

rfruth
March 23rd, 2006, 03:06 AM
When Vista costs the same as Ubuntu I might consider it ...

jason.b.c
March 23rd, 2006, 05:35 AM
When Vista costs the same as Ubuntu I might consider it ...

YA, I think you'll be waiting a very, very, loooonnnnnng time.;)

bigdufstuff
March 23rd, 2006, 06:30 AM
YA, I think you'll be waiting a very, very, loooonnnnnng time.;)

Unless you have access to p2p netwroks