PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] will a failed upgrade mess up all partitions?

noworldorder
May 20th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I have windows 7 (yuck!) and Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop. If I upgrade to 10.04 and things go sideways, am I risking the whole computer going south? That is, will Windows & be screwed too or just the partition that Ubuntu is on.

I want to upgrade but I am a bit scared...

bumanie
May 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM
In theory it should only do something to the ubuntu partitions if things go wrong as win 7 partition should not be involved. There have been a number of reports of grub and the mbr being mucked up, in which case you would have to fix the win 7 bootloader and mbr (there are many tutorials how to do this) if the upgrade didn't work OR sometimes the upgrade works, but windows won't boot. In this case it is best to follow this page (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Boot_Sector). This seems to occur when one is not sure where to direct grub and one chooses to install grub to all partitions - avoid that mistake and all should be well. As with anything involving major changes to ones computer a full-backup is always prudent beforehand, just in case. Do some reading, there is plenty on the internet about this type of stuff.