PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't get to gui Karmic Koala

Lakeside5
May 20th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I recently installed Karmic Koala server edition, and then did the 'apt-get ..install' for the desktop gnome, but now I'm not sure what to do to get my gui to show. I am stuck at the termanal type command line, it's asking for a sudo comman. I know a few 'sudo' commands, but I really need the gui. Please advise, thanks.

Lakeside5
May 21st, 2010, 08:31 PM
Ok, so I've been doing some looking, and there is a lot of arguments against GUI and FOR Webmin, for a production server. I am planning to host my own website (like I was BEFORE some horrid person decided to hack me and take over server priveledges) with the Karmic server, so only need packages for that. I've read that installing a gui, includes a lot of things not needed for a server, and actually increases the vulnerability to the sytem. so, I've decided just to ad Webmin, for managing the server. (I finally got a laptop so I don't need the computer for other things anyway). Well, I might need it for the occasional file download, so I would have to have a download client on it, but that's about all. Is there someone that could help me install WebClient to mangage my server, and also the download client? thanks. I guess I have to uninstall the GUI files now!