PDA

View Full Version : I converted my cousin to Ubuntu. :)

TheNerdAL
May 19th, 2010, 09:16 PM
So yesterday I installed Ubuntu on my cousin's notebook. It took like 6 hours because the CD wouldn't work so I tried other options.
Anyways, it worked but when I rebooted, it would just load the logo of Ubuntu 10.04 and that's it. On his notebook it had something like "Graphics by ATI." Well, can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

Anyways, who was the last person you converted?

pwnst*r
May 19th, 2010, 09:21 PM
So yesterday I installed Ubuntu on my cousin's notebook. It took like 6 hours because the CD wouldn't work so I tried other options.
Anyways, it worked but when I rebooted, it would just load the logo of Ubuntu 10.04 and that's it. On his notebook it had something like "Graphics by ATI." Well, can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

Not much of a "conversion" if it's a broken install. I'm sure your cousin is impressed.

LowSky
May 19th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Not much of a "conversion" if it's a broken install. I'm sure your cousin is impressed.

Broke Ubuntu is just as good as broke Windows.

TheNerdAL
May 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM

Good point, do you know a fix? :P I think I would have to just wait until it boots because I finished installing it like at 11 pm.

pwnst*r
May 19th, 2010, 09:28 PM

I don't see anything stating a broken Windows OS in the first post.

Bachstelze
May 19th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Oh, look, it's this thread again...

Phrea
May 19th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
I will NEVER 'convert' anybody.

If they want another OS, they will most likely already know about what they possibly want, and then I will help.

Phrea
May 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Oh, look, it's this thread again...

You could've posted the picture. ;)

Bachstelze
May 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
You could've posted the picture. ;)

A little change never hurts. :D You know what they say, diversity is the spice of life.

kpholmes
May 19th, 2010, 09:44 PM
if u start converting a group of people you'll end up being the tech guy who they call all the time to fix their computer problems cause they are to lazy to get on the forums and read anything or try and fix the problem on their own.

attraction over promotion always wins

Frogs Hair
May 20th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Try , I attempted to install Ubuntu on my cousin's computer and failed , could someone please help ?

medic2000
May 20th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Try previous Ubuntu. 10.04 doesnt boot in my friend's Dell too.

murderslastcrow
May 20th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I suggest starting a support thread, or looking through similar threads or issues in the forums or on Google with the same hardware and this specific release.

Community Cafe isn't the best place to find a fix for this, especially since, sometimes, they aren't as quick or easy as you'd wish for. There are some parts of the install you've done that may have caused the issue that we're not even aware of.

However, yes, you must be careful about how you 'convert' people, or rather, introduce them to Linux, If their first time is uncomfortable or they feel like they can't use it, they might get a hard to recover first impression.

Just make sure you consider their necessities in a PC, regardless of how nice Ubuntu is, if it's got 50 features, but is missing one essential one, it just creates frustration. So dual-boot, if necessary.

Also, teach them about how to get some common things done if they need it, so they won't have to figure it out on their own. That way you don't have to be tech support.

TheNerdAL
May 21st, 2010, 03:16 AM
I converted him and he likes it! :D

murderslastcrow
May 21st, 2010, 03:27 AM
Woot. Yeah, so long as it has the applications you need, you'll love it. Also, even for professionals, Ubuntu provides limitless tools to get your work done. It's a pretty freakin' awesome OS. And it all requires no more than 256 MB of RAM in most cases. That's an incredible feat.

Ebere
May 21st, 2010, 05:09 AM

Did you figure out the boot problem ?

Eisenwinter
May 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM
I'm terribly sorry for you.