PDA

View Full Version : The Computer and Mental Health/ OCD

Johnsie
May 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM
In response to the guy who original posted a thread with this title:

It think it's relevant to discuss how the computer affects people on this forum because these kind of things affect us all.

Yes I think it is in some ways normal to behave like that (going to the same collection of sites over and over). It's a form of escapism like reading a book. Yes, you will do the same things over and over because they become habit. Every once in a while something interesting will come up and catch your interest but alot of the time it's just quiet.

I think what you're experiencing is boredom and possibly a form of computer addiction. The best way to overcome that iis to try and find new things to do that don't require a a computer. Get a bike and go for long rides or something like that.

malspa
May 19th, 2010, 08:56 PM

It think it's relevant to discuss how the computer affects people on this forum because these kind of things affect us all.

I agree. I don't think the first thread should have been closed.

Ebere
May 19th, 2010, 08:56 PM

Yes I think it is in some ways normal to behave like that (going to the same collection of sites over and over). It's a form of escapism like reading a book. Yes, you will do the same things over and over because they become habit. Every once in a while something interesting will come up and catch your interest but alot of the time it's just quiet.

I think what you're experiencing is boredom and possibly a form of computer addiction. The best way to overcome that iis to try and find new things to do that don't require a a computer. Get a bike and go for long rides or something like that.

With all due respect, I think the closing of that original thread was a mistake.

The Cafe is not just "a tech support site for Ubuntu".

The OP was not looking for "support and advice on medical matters". He was hoping to open discussions about our personal experiences, thoughts, etc on the matter of mental health. How it affects our own lives, etc.

I don't see that this is any different than discussions about cars, bikes, palm devices, etc...

The cafe is supposedly intended to host discussions about almost anything. And discussions about the mental health side of our lives doesn't appear to be among the topics that are not allowed.

CharlesA
May 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Let the poster of the other thread take it up with the mods then.

frankwakeman
May 19th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks you people for siding with me there, I was a bit offended with the thread closure, though I have messaged the mod and I assume that he will accept he was rash, we all make mistakes etc.

Yes, I'd absolutely love a bike and long rides, but everywhere's so built up and swarming with crazed traffic here.

Cheers.

malspa
May 19th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I've seen comments that mods here can be a bit too quick to close threads.

I think this is a subject that might resonate with quite a few people. I read the original post a couple of times (along with the one posted at the Mint forums) and it felt like some of the things that were said reminded me of myself, which was kinda scary.

pwnst*r
May 19th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Here's a suggestion:

http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/moira/Yip_Cottage/images/Looking%20out%20the%20front%20door.jpg

jetsam
May 19th, 2010, 09:35 PM
It's not like I have a crystal ball or anything. I've just been paying more attention than most to the forum for a while... and some of this stuff will get better in a few weeks.

Just a funny feeling I got.

Pay attention to the man in the black mask. I think he's itchin' to get out of that thing and take a bath.

frankwakeman
May 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Ha ha, to pwnst*r, I'm certainly no bedroom-bound person, enjoyed my first sandal-wearing day of the year today - but the view from the door you showed is considerably more appealing than the view from mine...

juancarlospaco
May 19th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Here's a suggestion:
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/moira/Yip_Cottage/images/Looking%20out%20the%20front%20door.jpg

Yes, theres WIFI outside...

cariboo
May 19th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I read frankwakeman's post, and I think it was right that the thread be closed, none of us here are qualified to handle medical problems of any sort. Most of us here are geeks of one sort or another, I know there are several members that are part of the medical profession, but this is not the place to be dispensing advice.

mmix
May 19th, 2010, 11:04 PM
find new things to do that don't require a a computer.

i disagree, here is my answer.

find new things in computer & web,
else, get some sleep & walk.

frankwakeman
May 19th, 2010, 11:14 PM
It's less a purely medical problem than a spiritual one really, that's exactly why it's worth sharing. Issues shouldn't be bracketed off like that. Experts are often too conservative and otherwise flawed to help anyone, too. In place of that deference to them should be our curiosity and discussion.

lisati
May 19th, 2010, 11:15 PM
My concern for keeping threads open that ask for medical advice open is that many of the forum members who respond might mean well but not be in a position to offer good advice. It's very tempting at times, but not very helpful, to make suggestions like "snap out of it" - depending on the circumstances, that can be the last thing the person needs to hear.

For those wishing to lend a helping hand and/or support to someone facing mental health issues, I'd recommend looking at sites such as http://www.likeminds.org.nz

KiwiNZ
May 19th, 2010, 11:26 PM
The decision on these threads has been made clear.

Thread closed